I’m happy for Clark..

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

I’m happy for Clark..

Post by DS2001 »

He’s poured his heart and soul into trying to rebuild this program and change the culture.
He’s getting buy in from the players who’ve stuck it out. He needed to be rewarded.
I predicted 4 wins before the season, but I thought we’d beat Missouri, not KY.
Hip Hip Hooray for the Clark & the Dores!!

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: I’m happy for Clark..

Post by charlestonalum »

And I am happy for the Chancellor who broke with administration tradition of athletic apathy.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Are we talking about the same chancellor who changed our logo to “put his own stamp” on the school. You can have him.

Great win for Clark Lea and Mike Wright. Really fun stuff today!!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

We are talking about the same Chancellor who put his stamp on athletics by committing money and support to all VU athletic programs.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Just a reminder...

It was a win over a bowl eligible team
With a winning record
A ranked team
An SEC team
On the road

By comparison, another candidate for our opening at the time was recently fired from his mid-major job after his team lost to possibly the worst team in D-1 football that was fresh off a 73-0 loss to another mid-major. And certain people were militantly in favor of that person being our head coach. Even though he had no experience in any capacity at a major-major as a player or coordinator.

None at all.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:08 pm Are we talking about the same chancellor who changed our logo to “put his own stamp” on the school. You can have him.

He can change it to a toilet bowl if he can get us a consistently winning football team.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:08 pm Are we talking about the same chancellor who changed our logo to “put his own stamp” on the school. You can have him.

Am i the only one who likes the new logo?
accent grave over the e
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

egbertsouse wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:42 pm

I never disliked it. My initial reaction was meh-ok-whatever. But it's been growing on me.
Unless there is some story I haven't heard, I see no reason to chalk it up as a vanity move by Diermeier.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

You must have been really attached to the old logo to take umbrage against the only VU chancellor in modern times to make a financial commitment to improving VU athletics.
Either that, or you've been a Vanderbilt fan for 10 minutes and therefore no awareness of the long string of chancellors who were actively hostile to athletics.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I am friends with a dean who works in Kirkland and attends BOT meetings. This was a 100% vanity move by Diermeier. Yeah I am attached to the previous logo. It was the only good thing around much of Vanderbilt sports for a long time.

Anyway I didn’t mean to change the direction of this thread. I took umbrage with somebody above who was giving credit to Diermeier in a thread about Lea. I should’ve ignored it.
Last edited by vu2003rpl on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Can't resist. Whatever his reasons for the logo redesign, I personally would have done the same. Our teams had a series of mismatched, inconsistent logos. It's a craptastic way of presenting the university professionally. Instead of picking a winner, they started from scratch and provided an array of options within the same basic logo.

Back on point, this win really grants Lea the confirmation of direction with recruits that can make all the difference in the world. This win is the win we needed.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I needed to hear the announcers say, "Vanderbilt outplayed Kentucky from the get-go." And they said it.
DonYates
Commodore

Post by DonYates »

I'm happy for Clark too. He's a great guy and knows football. I hope he is successful in getting Vandy football to where teams dread playing the Commodores.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

egbertsouse wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:42 pm

Nope. I find it fresh, clean/modern, and the "V" connects all of athletics to our one high profile program (baseball) that's shown sustained excellence at the national level- which I've always regarded as a smart move branding-wise.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:44 pm I am friends with a dean who works in Kirkland and attends BOT meetings. This was a 100% vanity move by Diermeier. Yeah I am attached to the previous logo. It was the only good thing around much of Vanderbilt sports for a long time.

Anyway I didn’t mean to change the direction of this thread. I took umbrage with somebody above who was giving credit to Diermeier in a thread about Lea. I should’ve ignored it.
The thread "I am happy for Clark..." is unassailable by me and hopefully any VU fan. The "..." invited me to chime in that there are others who deserve happiness, in my opinion, our Chancellor who has done more to support athletics than any Chancellor I know of starting with Branscomb. He got real money, he attends games and he tweets after each team (any sport) contest and even after attending practices. Your Dean friend may be envious or resentful of the new direction. (As a former Dean, myself, I have seen decanal jealousy up close and personal.) I had a long talk with the Chancellor at Omaha 2 years ago (yes he was there and yes he came to the nightly VU events to mingle with us fans) and he was GENUINE IN HIS BELIEF THAT WINNING ATHLETIC TEAMS CAN RAISE THE STATUS OF VANDERBILT, IF DONE PROPERLY. So I gave a shout out to this courageous new Chsncellor, but make no mistake I am really happy for Clark Lea, the team, and all of us Vandymaniacs.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Thank you for loving Vanderbilt football, Coach Lea. Thank you for loving Vanderbilt football in good times and in bad times, Coach Lea (and the majority of Vandymaniacs).
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:44 pm I am friends with a dean who works in Kirkland and attends BOT meetings. This was a 100% vanity move by Diermeier. Yeah I am attached to the previous logo. It was the only good thing around much of Vanderbilt sports for a long time.

Have you watched any vandy baseball?
accent grave over the e
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I am happy for Coach Lea!! He deserves it. I am glad to see a little emotion from him. You can tell he loves Vanderbilt!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic