Any word on AJ?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Any word on AJ?

Post by alathIN »

Johnmn555 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:13 am
alathIN wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:35 am Two concussions in a row, he needs to sit for the rest of this season.
We have no idea if he suffered concussions or was taken out of games as a purely precautionary matter. I have a degree of confidence that, unlike the pros or many colleges, the right thing will be done here.
I should have prefaced it with "if this really is two concussions in a row..."
Because you're right, I have no access to his medical record.
If it's two hangnails in a row, bring him on back.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Both looked from our distance on TV like concussive blows.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

Hope he is ok. I was already worried he would transfer out, now I just hope he gets healthy. He is very talented young man. A QB you can build around. Praying for his recovery.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyManners wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:22 pm Hope he is ok. I was already worried he would transfer out, now I just hope he gets healthy. He is very talented young man. A QB you can build around. Praying for his recovery.
Manners, and others who worry about transferring out - I may be naïve, but why do so many people always site a worry about us losing good players to the portal. To date we have not lost that many - seems to me it is a much bigger concern for places that have stockpiled elite players (who do not play much). Our good players play. They chose VU and knew our record and came to improve it. I see no reason for AJ to transfer: he got to play as a freshman and has had a good year (except for injuries) that could happen anywhere. Why would you worry that he will transfer out even before the injuries. Hopefully, your premise is not that good players don't believe they should be at VU. If so, we will never have any.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:38 pm
VandyManners wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:22 pm Hope he is ok. I was already worried he would transfer out, now I just hope he gets healthy. He is very talented young man. A QB you can build around. Praying for his recovery.
Manners, and others who worry about transferring out - I may be naïve, but why do so many people always site a worry about us losing good players to the portal. To date we have not lost that many
The combination of NIL and free transfers has just started, and we do not know the impact yet but have good reason to worry.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Manners, and others who worry about transferring out - I may be naïve, but why do so many people always site a worry about us losing good players to the portal. To date we have not lost that many - seems to me it is a much bigger concern for places that have stockpiled elite players (who do not play much). Our good players play. They chose VU and knew our record and came to improve it. I see no reason for AJ to transfer: he got to play as a freshman and has had a good year (except for injuries) that could happen anywhere. Why would you worry that he will transfer out even before the injuries. Hopefully, your premise is not that good players don't believe they should be at VU. If so, we will never have any.
You saying the transfer from VU now starting on the line at Alabama and the defensive player playing a ton of snaps (may be starting) at Georgia aren't that good?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

commadore wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:20 pm
You saying the transfer from VU now starting on the line at Alabama and the defensive player playing a ton of snaps (may be starting) at Georgia aren't that good?
The Alabama transfer left VU with his degree in hand - like most of us to make his way in the world. That is what most VU grads do. Who is Georgia player that skipped town before getting degree? I just don't know. Point is we keep most of our really good players. AJ won't be leaving. The sky is still up there. We just need more good players for this to be a valid concern.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Commadore may be thinking of Donovan Kaufman who followed Derek Mason to Auburn (not Georgia). Kaufman is playing a good bit and may be starting at Auburn, but following a coach is different. I don't recall any VU player transferring to Georgia.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 am Commadore may be thinking of Donovan Kaufman who followed Derek Mason to Auburn (not Georgia). Kaufman is playing a good bit and may be starting at Auburn, but following a coach is different. I don't recall any VU player transferring to Georgia.
that's correct - not unusual for player to follow the coach who recruited him and that explains the comment, I believe. Still not many players abandoning our ship who are starters, but we will see what NIL does in the future. I dream of us having so many 4-5 star players on our roster not playing that some do transfer because they are behind better players. That would be a worry worth worrying about?!
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I have never worried about these types of issues until now. With NIL and the transfer portal becoming a new recruiting ground to lure talent away you have to admit it poses a potential problem for lesser programs with break out players. Vanderbilt is not competing right now, and the program is still not at a place where we can all say we believe in the process. It is still too early in this rebuild, and while I am hopeful CCL can build a winning program there is still much to prove.

I would hope someone like AJ would stay and fulfill his commitment. However, if he continues to improve and become what I think he has the potential to be, then it is not outlandish to think that another good program with more winning potential, like an Oregon or Michigan State, would be more appealing to finish his college career and improve his draft status. It is becoming more common for a talented young man to be tempted by an offer especially if Vandy does not improve next season. Again, we are in very different times. I never thought I would ever see one of our top offensive lineman transfer to Bama, but it happened.

You said, "Hopefully, your premise is not that good players don't believe they should be at VU. If so, we will never have any." Obviously good players don't believe they should be at Vandy or we would already be recruiting top caliber talent. Unfortunately recruiting good, top tiered talent has been our Achillies for years. Sometimes we get lucky and recruit and develop a 2 or 3 star into something better. A Jay Cutler, Jordon Mathews, or a Kenny Ladler. And yes, we do sometimes get a 4 star like Swann, or Zach Cunningham. There are schools out there willing to offer talent a lot more than Vanderbilt is offering in terms of NIL, better talent around the player, ability to win and have a postseason experience.

I hope I am wrong Charlstonalum. I want to believe that players like AJ are here to build something. I hope you are right that I am just worrying about nothing. I think Vanderbilt has A LOT to offer a young man in terms of football and life experience. Vandy plays in the best conference against the greatest college football talent in the country. You can play early. Look at AJ, starting QB as a true freshman. Vanderbilt provides a great experience socially by being in a great city for young people, and the degree speaks for itself. My concern is based on the new landscape of college football which makes it very easy to leave if you want.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyManners wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:38 am
I have never worried about these types of issues until now. With NIL and the transfer portal becoming a new recruiting ground to lure talent away you have to admit it poses a potential problem for lesser programs with break out players. Vanderbilt is not competing right now, and the program is still not at a place where we can all say we believe in the process. It is still too early in this rebuild, and while I am hopeful CCL can build a winning program there is still much to prove.

I would hope someone like AJ would stay and fulfill his commitment. However, if he continues to improve and become what I think he has the potential to be, then it is not outlandish to think that another good program with more winning potential, like an Oregon or Michigan State, would be more appealing to finish his college career and improve his draft status. It is becoming more common for a talented young man to be tempted by an offer especially if Vandy does not improve next season. Again, we are in very different times. I never thought I would ever see one of our top offensive lineman transfer to Bama, but it happened.

You said, "Hopefully, your premise is not that good players don't believe they should be at VU. If so, we will never have any." Obviously good players don't believe they should be at Vandy or we would already be recruiting top caliber talent. Unfortunately recruiting good, top tiered talent has been our Achillies for years. Sometimes we get lucky and recruit and develop a 2 or 3 star into something better. A Jay Cutler, Jordon Mathews, or a Kenny Ladler. And yes, we do sometimes get a 4 star like Swann, or Zach Cunningham. There are schools out there willing to offer talent a lot more than Vanderbilt is offering in terms of NIL, better talent around the player, ability to win and have a postseason experience.

I hope I am wrong Charlstonalum. I want to believe that players like AJ are here to build something. I hope you are right that I am just worrying about nothing. I think Vanderbilt has A LOT to offer a young man in terms of football and life experience. Vandy plays in the best conference against the greatest college football talent in the country. You can play early. Look at AJ, starting QB as a true freshman. Vanderbilt provides a great experience socially by being in a great city for young people, and the degree speaks for itself. My concern is based on the new landscape of college football which makes it very easy to leave if you want.
We are in agreement.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:38 am
Seadog73 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 am Commadore may be thinking of Donovan Kaufman who followed Derek Mason to Auburn (not Georgia). Kaufman is playing a good bit and may be starting at Auburn, but following a coach is different. I don't recall any VU player transferring to Georgia.
that's correct - not unusual for player to follow the coach who recruited him and that explains the comment, I believe. Still not many players abandoning our ship who are starters, but we will see what NIL does in the future. I dream of us having so many 4-5 star players on our roster not playing that some do transfer because they are behind better players. That would be a worry worth worrying about?!
I think this scenario would worry me A LOT. I think it would mean that hell had frozen over and Armageddon was right around the corner. Is that a mixed metaphor? Anyway, you get the idea.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

He clearly was concussed. He could barely walk a straight line after the back of his head slammed the turf. It was admitted he had a concussion in prior game.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

AJ should begin the process of getting ready for NEXT season. If I were his parents, he would have been shut down after the Missouri game. The days of playing around with concussions are over. They are lawsuits waiting to happen.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Different people respond differently. I think most agree now we want him to heal until next fall. We've accomplished some things here in year two. Let's take a stab at Florida and celebrate the progress.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Legit (if dumb) concussion protocol question. No experience with this. If you’re concussed (moderate severity) can you carry on your college life normally outside of football? Can you go to class? Can you take that math exam?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:43 pm Legit (if dumb) concussion protocol question. No experience with this. If you’re concussed (moderate severity) can you carry on your college life normally outside of football? Can you go to class? Can you take that math exam?
Not a dumb question. It really varies case to case. Advice used to be that you sit in dark rooms as much as possible. They don't necessarily recommend that anymore. But you're going to want to keep screen time at a minimum, especially the first week. The first week or so is when you're really vulnerable to a relapse. From there, your level of risk is dependent on how bad your initial concussion was (which is determined by your symptoms and how long they linger).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

You are correct. I think I saw him in the GA/AU game.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

In terms of the fear that AJ may transfer, if he feels he has a legitimate shot at playing in the NFL, he may prefer playing behind an offensive line that can help protect him better. Admittedly, VU has fielded worse offensive lines than this season’s product. But with (presumably) multiple concussions suffered already, it is something he may consider. Obviously we all hope he heals and returns.
Locked Previous topicNext topic