VU is 36.5-point underdog to Georgia, ranked No. 1 in AP

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

VU is 36.5-point underdog to Georgia, ranked No. 1 in AP

Post by BrentVU »

Georgia (6-0) is ranked No. 1 by the AP voters this week; curiously, however, the Bulldogs are only No. 3 in the AFCA Coaches' poll, behind Alabama and Ohio State. They will have something to prove.

Vandy is less of an underdog this week than it was against Bama; is that respect for Vandy, or has Georgia slipped a bit since its bad showing at Missouri? (Coaches might want to study that tape this week.)

Last year in Nashville, Georgia scored 35 points in the first quarter en route to a 62-0 win.

Vanderbilt in its history has never beaten a Top 5 team, much less a No. 1 team.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: VU is 36.5-point underdog to Georgia, ranked No. 1 in AP

Post by BrentVU »

Vandy's 2:30 pm kickoff vs. Georgia on SEC Network is up against the marquee game in college football next week, No. 3 Alabama at No. 6 Tennessee. That game, of course, is at 2:30 pm on CBS with Nessler and Danielson.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I hate to be like this, but i'd take UGa -points
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Yeah, I'd take Georgia and the points as well as the timing of this game is really bad for Vandy. It's homecoming, they need style points to move back into 1st place, they need to score MORE than the 55 points Alabama scored a couple of weeks ago and they need a confidence booster before taking on Fla and UT in the next couple of weeks. I fully expect they hang over 60 on VU.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:16 pm Vandy's 2:30 pm kickoff vs. Georgia on SEC Network is up against the marquee game in college football next week, No. 3 Alabama at No. 6 Tennessee. That game, of course, is at 2:30 pm on CBS with Nessler and Danielson.
Roll Tide !
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

The outcome of Alabama/UtK will be interesting. Will we see the ritual evisceration of orange hopes and dreams to which we are accustomed?
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Missouri was able to get pressure on Georgia's quarterback Stetson Bennett all game long. We don't have a good pass rush so I don't know if we would be able to replicate that.

As far as UT-Alabama, consider that if UT beats Alabama, and Ole Miss beats Alabama, which I think could happen as long as Bryce Young is out for Bama, their freshman qb isn't nearly as good a passer, you would have the winner of UT-Georgia vs. Ole Miss in the SECCG.

Then you could have four SEC teams with zero or one loss, and Alabama with two losses to the other top 10 SEC teams (not including the SECCG). If UT beats Georgia UT and Ole Miss would be 12-0, Georgia would be 11-1 and Bama would be 10-2 but their losses were to undefeated Ole Miss and UT.

That would be a real mess for the selection committee. There's no way they'd take four teams from the SEC for the playoffs, every other conference would cry and whine about it, but they would be the top four teams in the nation.
Last edited by Golddore68 on Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If Milroe starts for Alabama Saturday, Tennessee wins by at least 14. Mike Wright is a better QB than Milroe.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

VU1970 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:47 pm The outcome of Alabama/UtK will be interesting. Will we see the ritual evisceration of orange hopes and dreams to which we are accustomed?
As much as i hate to admit it, I think the cards are falling perfectly in place for UT to win the SEC and make a run at the national championship.

With Alabama's quarterback injured, and maybe not able to return for the game against UT, Alabama isn't nearly as good. I thought Kentucky might have a shot at beating UT this year but they're trash without their quarterback Levis. They lost to South Carolina yesterday without him. Georgia isn't nearly as good as they have been, Missouri proved that, and UT will be able to pressure Stetson Bennett.

It reminds me of the 99 team when everything fell into place for them. They beat Arkansas because of Clint Stoerner fumbling a snap when all he had to was down the ball a couple of times. They beat Syracuse that year because of a phantom pass interference call against Syracuse late in the game, when they had gone for it on fourth down and Tee Martin threw an incompletion ... all of a sudden there was a flag on the incompletion for pass interference giving UT new life. They kicked a field goal at the buzzer to win. And they beat Florida State for the championship because Florida State's quarterback Chris Weinke was injured and their backup was awful.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I hoe the days when uTk could fall down several flights of stairs into a national championship are behind us.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VU1970 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:47 pm The outcome of Alabama/UtK will be interesting. Will we see the ritual evisceration of orange hopes and dreams to which we are accustomed?
One can only hope .
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Not surprising how quickly this thread about the big point spread between VU and UGa -- the day after a home-field beatdown by rival Ole Miss -- morphed into hopes and dreams for a Tennessee loss. The natural progression after losing all hope for your own team. :cry:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Leave it to FayetteVol take up for the Viles.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

Rebs ain’t beatin Bama
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Line has moved to 38. I'd still take Georgia.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Showingold wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:35 pm Rebs ain’t beatin Bama
If Bama doesn't get Bryce Young back, all bets are off.
Locked Previous topicNext topic