Vandy is 2-and-oh, people! Where is the love?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Vandy is 2-and-oh, people! Where is the love?

Post by BrentVU »

Vandy is 2-0 for the first time in four years, but there sure doesn't seem to be much excitement here over that! Maybe it's because the first game was played a world away late at night, and the second game was a poorly attended affair against an FCS team... but I still don't get it! Vandy is scoring over 50 points per game! Mike Wright has been sensational, and he has some weapons around him! The defense wore out against Elon, but it's certainly producing more sacks and turnovers than last year, and against Hawaii it scored 2 touchdowns!

I think Vandy fans must always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. C'mon, folks, it's Game Week! SEC Nation is coming to town, as is the nation's No. 23 team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHPNUN-U8E

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Vandy is 2-and-oh, people! Where is the love?

Post by FayetteDore »

Totally agree.

This game Saturday has the potential to be the breakout for this team -- a statement game. Yes, Wake is ranked. Yes, it's a good team. But I can't help but think that CCL & Company have been saving something for this game. You can bet that he has this team "laser-focused" on this game.

Wake will bring a crowd, more than Elon did but not an SEC-sized crowd. What matters right now, for VU football and its fans, is THIS game. The VU administration is committed. Preliminary work on the Vandy United improvements is underway. The band is louder than I've heard in a while. And if you don't think the team feeds off the crowd, you weren't there in the CJF era. Remember those goal-line stands and those gutsy fourth-down calls, and how the Vandy crowd actually sounded like an SEC crowd?!

If you're a Vanderbilt fan and you can make it to this game, show up and be loud. Last home game until Oct. 8.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I'd be there if I didn't live so far away. We need a good crowd - this is a winnable, big game. Please show up.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

I know it is “coach speak” to say the next game is the biggest game of the season, but it really is in this case. Win or lose, it can set the tone and expectations going forward. A win, and the expectations of starting 4-0 go way up. A close, competitive loss will cause most to scan the schedule for an SEC game (or more) that might be snagged. Either scenario brings encouragement and signs of growth.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

I think the team is doing fine (both this year- and big picture) relative to expectation. I need to see an SEC win before my excitement level ramps up to the next level though.

For one, I would love to see that horrid/inexplicable losing streak to South Carolina (not even xCJF could beat them) put to bed. Have 'em at home off a bye this year. Personally, that's the game I have circled as a "progress check" (though ambushing a ranked Wake would be great obviously).
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Brent: I like the wins, but can't get too excited. We don't know much except that Elon figured out how to snuff out our run game and that we can't stop competent QB/receivers. It only took an opposing coach one week to figure out how to beat us. Can't get too excited. Of course, we should get better through the season, but until I see that against real competition, there's no point. It only took us one week to get overconfident and unfocused after a little success. I want to get excited, but it will take some impressive improvement this week for me to think this is worth some emotional investment. I'm stil speculating that it will be the second half of year three before we have enough horses and experience to start taking notice.

Personally, and this is no critique on the players and coaches, I think we get smoked in this game. We simply don't have enough talent and experience to match up to a well oiled machine. And make no mistake, that's what Wake represents. They represent what we want to be in like three years.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

buffy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am Brent:It only took an opposing coach one week to figure out how to beat us.
Which coach has beaten us this year?
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I am very excited about what I am seeing. I think it is a very good start. But, BUT...Still have a long way to go. I have said now for over a month that I thought we would beat Hawaii and Elon. I also have said Wake is going to show us where we are as a program. Wake is a good team and if we can compete, win or lose, I will be pleased. If we get boat raced, then we will also know where we are. And either way, I am cool with it. I said for a long time we need to be patient as a program and let CCL do his thing. If success comes sooner, then great. My gut says we will struggle defensively and our offense will make some plays. I think Wake runs away with it in the end. Their QB is really good
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

I am a gluten for punishment and too emotionally invested in Vanderbilt football not to get some excitement after a 2-0 start. HOWEVER, What I project and openly display does not often match my internal thoughts and feelings RE Vanderbilt.

On a side note, this game against Wake could be very pivotal in the quality of next years recruiting class. A close game or win could open the eyes for some to consider or even listen to the pitch of a program on the rise.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Competitive game against Wake, win over NIU, then a little love.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Buffy and Vandymanners sum up my thoughts precisely. We are a total rebuild, and CCL will require some years to fix this. With that said, I am pleased by the eye test of the team this year. I still think my 2 win projection will hold, but will be giddy as heck if it doesn’t, and hope I’m proven wrong VERY soon! Go Dores!
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 am
buffy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:52 am Brent:It only took an opposing coach one week to figure out how to beat us.
We thouroughly lost the second half. I understand the point of your comment, but it felt like we were being tooled in the second half by an FCS team. They just ran out of clock.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I agree with Buffy. He figured out HOW to beat us, but didn't have the horses/time to do it.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

commadore wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:52 pm
I agree with Buffy. He figured out HOW to beat us, but didn't have the horses/time to do it.
That happens a lot in sports -- but the winner is still the winner and the loser is still the loser.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Even I know how to beat Bama, but we don't have the horses... Good grief. Beat Wake!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm

Even I know how to beat Bama, but we don't have the horses... Good grief. Beat Wake!
I doubt it.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Somebody said in the "Saturday weather" thread that the crowd makes a "minimal difference" at games.

If the crowd doesn't matter, why did Jordan Matthews go on twitter today to encourage "pack the stadium," following a similar plea by CCL? Why did x-CJF personally visit the student center every year to exhort students to come to games? Why did Nick Saban bother himself to raise hell with students for leaving early or not showing up at all?

Anybody who was there in the CJF era well knows the large and loud crowds made a difference. The players on the sidelines and on the field visibly encouraged the crowd to get loud on big plays. The team and the crowd energized each other.

Rain jackets are not a new thing.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Agreed: crowd could help us this week. Show up.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Love the 'Dores and always will. We're headed in a good direction, I think, and here's to hoping I still think that way Saturday afternoon.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Jordan Matthews...

Locked Previous topicNext topic