Kurt Page didn't make the top 100; Jeff Brothers did?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Kurt Page didn't make the top 100; Jeff Brothers did?

Post by historybill »

Maybe someone can explain this to me.

On the top 100 list of Vanderbilt players is a "quarterback" (identified) named Jeff Brothers whose career stats were 24 completions, 56 attempts, 0 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. I don't remember his playing career because played when I was away in the navy.

Meanwhile, Kurt Page, who still holds some Vanderbilt passing records, did NOT make it.

Page's career stats: 531 completions, 936 attempts, 6233 yards.

My freshman year (1983) ALONE, he passed for 3,178 yards in 11 games, which was UNHEARD OF back then. The reason that team didn't go to a bowl game was because its defense was dreadful, but the offense was scary good.

Was this top 100 list supposed to be taken seriously?

commadore
Admiral

Re: Kurt Page didn't make the top 100; Jeff Brothers did?

Post by commadore »

I thought Brothers's main position was DB.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Maybe, but they've got him listed as QB.

Also, the best running back in Vanderbilt history (Zac Stacy) didn't make the list. We all know why... but, again, I don't think this list is very good.

To have Clark Lea on the list but not Kurt Page... that's utter nonsense.

I guess Kurt Page's mistake was that his after college career path didn't include a stop in McGugin?
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I made this specific comparison in the original thread. It's true, Brothers did not make it on the basis of his play as a QB, but Page was the first player who came to mind as worthy among players not on the list. He was an outstanding QB. To the extent they lost with him, he was not the issue. I saw a clip recently where he rolled to his left and threw a strike across his body. Cutler was the only other QB we've had who could do that.
HarpoMarx
Ensign

Post by HarpoMarx »

Anyone was allowed to vote, whether you are a 70 year fan or a sophomore at the school now. You vote for who is familiar to you. So, unless you read Vandy football history, most of the choices are probably going to be of the last 25 years. To compound the problem, I think you were allowed to vote for a max of 2 or 3 players at each position. For example, I voted for Chuck Scott and Jordan Matthews at receiver and couldn't vote for Bob Goodridge or Carl Parker. Always going to have great players left off any list. But, c'mon, Andrew East and Clark Lea. Also, Jeff Brothers was switched to safety his last couple of years and was 1st or 2nd team All SEC. Helped beat Ole Miss in a memorable game. Yeah, Kurt Page should be there.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Oh, they did it by vote? I see.

Were people even allowed to vote for Zac Stacy, or has he simply been erased from history now?

Also, pretty bizarre that Jared Pinkney made it. Top 100 of all time? You've got to be kidding.
Last edited by historybill on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

historybill wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:28 am Oh, they did it by vote? I see.

Also, pretty bizarre that Jared Pinkney made it. Top 100 of all time? You've got to be kidding.
And the votes were fans who we all know are us, and fallible for sure. Page deserved it, but I didn't vote so maybe it is my fault.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

And the votes were fans who we all know are us and fallible for sure. Page deserved it, but I didn't vote so maybe it is my fault.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

historybill wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:35 am Maybe someone can explain this to me.

On the top 100 list of Vanderbilt players is a "quarterback" (identified) named Jeff Brothers whose career stats were 24 completions, 56 attempts, 0 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. I don't remember his playing career because played when I was away in the navy.

Meanwhile, Kurt Page, who still holds some Vanderbilt passing records, did NOT make it.

Page's career stats: 531 completions, 936 attempts, 6233 yards.

My freshman year (1983) ALONE, he passed for 3,178 yards in 11 games, which was UNHEARD OF back then. The reason that team didn't go to a bowl game was because its defense was dreadful, but the offense was scary good.

Was this top 100 list supposed to be taken seriously?
a short answer is hell no.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Were people even allowed to vote for Zac Stacy, or has he simply been erased from history now?

Maybe the fans who voted were also turned off by Stacy's post VU off field behavior. It doesn't always have to be a nefarious administrative decision.

Say this out loud: "Everything's so woke these days; a guy can't even beat up a woman without people acting like his reputation is somehow damaged and next thing you know, they don't want to put his name up in a place of honor." I hope that sounds a little crazy to you. If it doesn't, you might just possibly have taken anti-woke a little too far.

It was a mistake to list Brothers as a QB but his play as DB is worthy of the honor.

Kurt Page was a record setting passer in the day ('83 was my freshman year too). But the team was overall not very good in his era and his name hasn't stuck in the fans' minds the way Whit Taylor's has.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

Kurt Page beat Alabama.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

When you let the fans vote, this is what you should expect.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

VUDU wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:30 am Kurt Page beat Alabama.
Nearly twice.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Jeff Brothers' mother Beverly was a beloved employee of the Vanderbilt athletic department for 35+ years.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I’m embarrassed to ask this question considering how much time I devote to reading this board, but, will someone please give me a link to this “top 100”?
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:19 pm I’m embarrassed to ask this question considering how much time I devote to reading this board, but, will someone please give me a link to this “top 100”?
It was a promotion for the Top 100 players in the "Vanderbilt Stadium Era," in connection with this being the 100th year of the stadium (which they promptly renamed FirstBank Stadium).
https://vucommodores.com/vanderbilt-stadium-era-top-100-commodores/

Getting there was a two-step process. First, there were nominations, which closed in April, and then fans voted on the Top 100 out of those nominees.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

VUDU wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:30 am Kurt Page beat Alabama.
Yes. I was there.
But he doesn't seem to be remembered like Jay Cutler or Whit Taylor.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in the top 100.
I'm speculating about why the fans didn't vote him in.
I really don't think it was a conspiracy by the administration to keep him out.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see Bill Spears, a quarterback we had in the 1920s made the list. He probably would have won a Heisman Trophy if it had been available when he played.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Paige shoould definitely have been on list, but bothered by the fact folks are make this a Paige vs Brothers thing. Brothers is a 100% class act who gave heart and soul to Vandy. He belongs on list as well as Paige.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Of the QBs I've seen (since 1982) I would say (1) Cutler; (2) Taylor; (3) Page and Rodgers (tie). That would make Page a no brainer for the list.
Locked Previous topicNext topic