Top 25

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Top 25

Post by commadore »

[hudl][tweet]
[/tweet][/hudl]I see douche1 baseball STILL doesn't have us in the top 25. I wonder if we get hot and win the national championship they will put us in the top 25?
Baseball unamerican doesn't have us either.
Coaches poll has us 19, down two. How do you go on the road in the SEC, win two of three, and finish the week 3-1 and DROP in the polls?
NCBWA has us 3rd.

Here is the real irony, d1 has us 8th in RPI.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Top 25

Post by charlestonalum »

To hell with the polls, just win and finish the year at Omaha and show 'em. We still have work to do and that is the message the pollsters are sending...
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:02 am [hudl][tweet]
[/tweet][/hudl]I see douche1 baseball STILL doesn't have us in the top 25. I wonder if we get hot and win the national championship they will put us in the top 25?
Coaches poll has us 19, down two. How do you go on the road in the SEC, win two of three, and finish the week 3-1 and DROP in the polls?
NCBWA has us 3rd.

Isn't the rpi the big thing when the NCAA determines seedings?

We should have swept UK, they are not especially good but some of our hitters are coming around. It was good to see EB hit the first pitch of the game over the left field fence yesterday. Glad he wasn't ordered to take the first two pitches and start in an 0-2 hole as so often happens to our batters for some reason.

A&M, Georgia, Arky, LSU - all good teams. If we finish the reg. season strong and do well in Hoover....
Last edited by MrMemorial on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I stopped using D1Baseball in my SEC baseball previews. I use the Massey Composite rankings instead. D1Baseball is obviously biased so I won't use their garbage. Really, it's just 2 or 3 drinking buddies deciding who to promote.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

NCBWA has us 3rd.

We're #6 in Collegiate Baseball, 18 in Perfect Game, 22 in USAT (coaches' poll-19 last week), NCBWA poll hasn't come out yet (20th last week, so i doubt we jumped 17). But, you're right, the polls are all over the place. A composite (Rivals has one) is more helpful.

RPI has nothing to do with the voted polls. It's an NCAA mathematical formula that d1, Boyd's World, and others try to replicate. And they're usually close. Boyd's World has us at 8, too. National seed. I'll take that.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:11 pm
NCBWA has us 3rd.

We're #6 in Collegiate Baseball, 18 in Perfect Game, 22 in USAT (coaches' poll-19 last week), NCBWA poll hasn't come out yet (20th last week, so i doubt we jumped 17). But, you're right, the polls are all over the place. A composite (Rivals has one) is more helpful.

RPI has nothing to do with the voted polls. It's an NCAA mathematical formula that d1, Boyd's World, and others try to replicate. And they're usually close. Boyd's World has us at 8, too. National seed. I'll take that.
My point was they show the RPI with us at 8, but then leave us out of the rankings. That is just insane.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

you dropped because of what the other teams ranked higher than Vandy also did. Winning two at Kentucky is not that difficult ... probably 5-10 the rest of the way. Not sure Vanderbilt can win another series , A&M LSU Geo , Ark are not cupcakes
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:17 pm you dropped because of what the other teams ranked higher than Vandy also did. Winning two at Kentucky is not that difficult ....
WE didn't necessarily drop. Probably still just off the chart after losing 2 of 3 @ a ranked Auburn team two weeks ago. Then WE should have moved back in a week ago after winning 2 of 3 versus a then-ranked Florida team. Didn't happen.

OUR team went on the road and took a series from a Kentucky team that had already won several games against ranked teams. (Apparently winning 2 at Kentucky was too difficult for TCU and Georgia.) Winning the Kentucky series should have kept US from being leapfrogged by a Wofford team winning 2 of 3 at Mercer. Wofford has only played 3 games against teams in the current d1baseball.com Top 25, going 0-3.

How is YOUR team doing these days, Pink? I suppose 17-1 in SEC play.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:17 pm you dropped because of what the other teams ranked higher than Vandy also did. Winning two at Kentucky is not that difficult ... probably 5-10 the rest of the way. Not sure Vanderbilt can win another series , A&M LSU Geo , Ark are not cupcakes
From the guy who predicted that Florida would win the series against us. We are not a great team, but we are pretty good - much better than CowbellFloyd thinks we are.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

D1 (Rogers) said that Vandy is "moving up". We dropped out of the top 25 after losing the series to Auburn. Since then we are 6-2 including a series win over then ranked FL. So if we are "moving up", how low did we go? It's a joke, but as someone wrote above, none of it matters. Need to play good ball the rest of the way and things will take care of themselves.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

One thing you have to love about Corbin, is that he does not seem to give a hoot about the regular season. It's all just practice for the real season, the one that starts with the SEC tournament, and runs to the last out in Omaha. We have a young team and they're getting experience doing different things, not the same approach every day. I believe they'll be ready to make a good showing when it counts.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

KudzuLeague wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 am One thing you have to love about Corbin, is that he does not seem to give a hoot about the regular season. It's all just practice for the real season, the one that starts with the SEC tournament, and runs to the last out in Omaha. We have a young team and they're getting experience doing different things, not the same approach every day. I believe they'll be ready to make a good showing when it counts.

I don't see us as a particularly young team.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

But for occasional small steps forward, progress has been pretty slow......
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We have one huge weakness, hitting, especially with players in scoring position. If we cannot improve that we won't be in Omaha. Our pitching and fielding have been good enough to win games if we had the timely hits.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I admit that Vanderbilt did nothing to warrant re-entry in the D1baseball.com Top 25 this week with no midweek game and a series loss at home versus Texas A&M.

However, I feel I must point out a few oddities:

"The [TCU] Horned Frogs fell four spots to No. 24 after an 0-3 week but remained in the rankings thanks to back-to-back series wins over Texas Tech and Oklahoma State over the two previous weeks."

Previously, Vanderbilt dropped out after losing 2 of 3 to Auburn and did not get back in despite two series wins (Florida and Kentucky). TCU is not punished for going 0-fer because it was doing okay prior to that. Hmmm.

~~~

"Big climbers this week include ... Texas A&M (up eight places to No. 13)."

Vanderbilt gets no respect, but winning 2 of 3 at Vanderbilt is worthy of a huge jump in the rankings. Hmmm.

~~~

And despite the "no respect," the 'Dores at 29-13 still have a better Won-Lost percentage than TEN teams in the D1baseball.com Top 25.

09. Texas Tech ..... 31-16
11. Stanford ....... 25-14
12. Gonzaga ........ 28-13
13. Texas A&M ...... 27-15
19. Auburn ......... 31-14
20. LSU ............ 29-14
21. Georgia Tech ... 27-18
22. Georgia ........ 30-14
23. Florida State .. 26-15
24. TCU ............ 27-16

That, in addition to a strong strength of schedule playing in the SEC, is why Vanderbilt is ranked high in the RPI.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

How many of you guys are booked for Omaha? I mean Corbs is just holding back , getting to bust it open in the post season... You are on the verge of not making the SEC tourney, and if you do, your done fast. Your Friday guy is the weakest Friday guy Vandy has had in 10 years. .... The run is over, Corbin is getting too old, the talent has not been good since Jewett left.... There's still Maggie.... maybe she can hit
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

PinkFloyd wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm How many of you guys are booked for Omaha? I mean Corbs is just holding back , getting to bust it open in the post season... You are on the verge of not making the SEC tourney, and if you do, your done fast. Your Friday guy is the weakest Friday guy Vandy has had in 10 years. .... The run is over, Corbin is getting too old, the talent has not been good since Jewett left.... There's still Maggie.... maybe she can hit
Say what you will, we have three freshmen pitchers who look like they could be dominant next year. Pitching is just young this year. Hitting is also young, but it is the upper classmen who can't buy a hit using a slow pitch softball.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Hate to say I told you, but I told you
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:11 am Hate to say I told you, but I told you
When you have to come to a message board for a team that you, yourself, say you don’t even cheer for and dredge up three old threads (after midnight) to say “I told you so,” you clearly don’t “hate” doing so. You’re reveling in it for some sick reason. Kind of sad, really. Did Cornelius Vanderbilt run over your great-great-great-grandfather’s dog with a train by accident or something?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Meanwhile going into the NCAA men's golf tournament VU is atop the leader board after first round. That is something to cheer about. I think we were #3 seed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic