AD Lee: New logo is 'board-approved', we're not going back

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyfanKY
Lieutenant

Re: AD Lee: New logo is 'board-approved', we're not going back

Post by VandyfanKY »

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is a hymn. It has been in the United Methodist Hymnal for years. Never heard any controversy until recently.

We could open the football season with Bobby Bare's "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life." Heck, Iowa, Nebraska, and other schools routinely sing "In Heaven There is No Beer" after games.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VandyfanKY wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:45 pm
"Lift Every Voice and Sing" is a hymn. It has been in the United Methodist Hymnal for years. Never heard any controversy until recently.
That Tucker Carlton guy must have whined about it on his show.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Well lots of things to joke about, but the unique sanctity of the National Anthem really isn't one of them--at least to me.

And dumping the Star V deserves serious reconsideration. Nuff said.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

jpmando wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:48 pm

The song immediately following the Star Spangled Banner: " Lift Every Voice and Sing" .

According to Wikipedia, this song was written in 1900, and embraced as the "Negro National Anthem" by the NAACP around 1920.

You are not fooling anybody. It's more than obvious what pi55es you off about "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

jpmando wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:06 pm Well lots of things to joke about, but the unique sanctity of the National Anthem really isn't one of them--at least to me.

And dumping the Star V deserves serious reconsideration. Nuff said.
There is no need to play a song about a War of 1812 battle before sporting events. I've never heard anyone playing that song before movies, shows, concerts (some symphony orchestras do), dog shows, quilting bees or whatever and I feel no less patriotic because of it.

Lift Every Voice and Sing is a much better song about faith and America than the Star Spangled Banner will ever be.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Can't believe I am being drawn into this conversation, but had to comment. Lift Every Voice... may well be a better piece of music to your mind, but it isn't the National Anthem. Every one of the diverse cultures in this country likely has a piece of music that is important and inspirational to them, but should all be placed in such position along side the anthem? I always assumed that honoring this country was honoring all its people; the anthem is hugely important to me as a sign of respect for millions of Americans who contributed so much to our very existence. Does anyone respect only veterans of one color ? How about "Scotland, the Brave" ? I love the pipes. Or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"? Lots of country / gospel music fans out there. Seems a so called national anthem designated for one group only is very divisive.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Thank you Sir.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Change is as natural as the sun rising every day. I understand why some feel so strongly about the change the university has enacted. They really love the Star V. But change is constant and folks can either adapt or not.

Regarding the national anthem, I agree with the poster(s) who said that it doesn't make any sense to play it before a game. Its always struck me as a bit odd. Just like you can't find folks who agree on what the school's logo should be (and there being a multitude of visceral opinions) you can't find full agreement on the anthem and its being played before sporting events.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

OldDude wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:18 pm Can't believe I am being drawn into this conversation, but had to comment. Lift Every Voice... may well be a better piece of music to your mind, but it isn't the National Anthem. Every one of the diverse cultures in this country likely has a piece of music that is important and inspirational to them, but should all be placed in such position along side the anthem? I always assumed that honoring this country was honoring all its people; the anthem is hugely important to me as a sign of respect for millions of Americans who contributed so much to our very existence. Does anyone respect only veterans of one color ? How about "Scotland, the Brave" ? I love the pipes. Or "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"? Lots of country / gospel music fans out there. Seems a so called national anthem designated for one group only is very divisive.
Let's just say one song has as much business being played before a sporting event as another.
VUgearhead
Rear Admiral

Post by VUgearhead »

I do not think the poster's objection to the "Lift Every Voice and Sing" hymn has anything to do with it's religious origin or, honestly, it's secular adoption by one segment of American society. I believe the National Anthem is sung as a symbol of unity, that we are all part of, should be proud of and honor.....end of story.
To feel the need to supplement it's performance with another presentation, religious, ethnic, or otherwise, is divisive, and ultimately disrespectful of what the Anthem represents. The dual performance is akin to feel the need to display any other flag alonside the American Flag, as if the Stars and Stripes does not adequately represent us all.

Flame suit on. Call me a bigot, racist, whatever you will. I do not bear ill will to anyone. But I will stand up for my country, it's flag, it's Anthem, and the VIRTUES that they represent.

As for the new logo.....how mundane!
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

Lame!
Locked Previous topicNext topic