Brinae Alexander Will Not Play in WNIT

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Brinae Alexander Will Not Play in WNIT

Post by MikeADore »

This from The Hustler:

VandyDan78
Captain

Re: Brinae Alexander Will Not Play in WNIT

Post by VandyDan78 »

Wow. I’m shocked. Is there a rule set in place for this type of occurrence or did she just decide not to play?
SV#
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

After little research, found all the answers I need. Sigh. I don’t know what to think about Brinae not participating. I find it a bit peculiar but apparently they all had it sorted out a while back. Fingers crossed that we can get someone to step into that scoring role…. real quick.

https://vucommodores.com/shea-ralph-media-availability/
SV#
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

I suspect the team has been practicing without her then, so hopefully the other guards are excited for the opportunity this presents.

Anchor Down and keep building for the future!
got moxie?
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

VandyDan78 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:18 pm After little research, found all the answers I need. Sigh. I don’t know what to think about Brinae not participating. I find it a bit peculiar but apparently they all had it sorted out a while back. Fingers crossed that we can get someone to step into that scoring role…. real quick.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like they've been moving forward!
Shea really is impressive. Some coaches can talk a good talk, but she has substance.
I like that she gave a shout out to the men's team and staff too.
Go Commodores! SV#
got moxie?
VandyWhit
Site Admin

Post by VandyWhit »

VandyDan78 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:18 pm After little research, found all the answers I need. Sigh. I don’t know what to think about Brinae not participating. I find it a bit peculiar but apparently they all had it sorted out a while back. Fingers crossed that we can get someone to step into that scoring role…. real quick.

As long as everybody concerned was treated fairly, I'm okay with it. Having her play might have improved our chances of winning but fortunately they've had time to prepare for her absence. And for preparing for the future, it's a plus that she won't be playing.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

I had looked around the NCAA site to determine if she was eligible and the only thing I found close to an answer was that football players were permitted to play in bowl games while in the portal. I thought she might play when I read that. But to be realistic, if there is extra practice it is best to focus on next year's team.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Time for De’Mauri and/or Kendall to step up! My guess is Bella will get the start….she’s a ball of fire!
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

HuskyT wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:20 pm ... football players were permitted to play in bowl games while in the portal.
Has Brylee Bartram found a new team yet? I'm still ticked that she jumped ship ten games into the season.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:14 pm
HuskyT wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:20 pm ... football players were permitted to play in bowl games while in the portal.
Has Brylee Bartram found a new team yet? I'm still ticked that she jumped ship ten games into the season.
Nationally ranked Florida Gulf Coast.
Boris
Chief

Post by Boris »

VandyDan78 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:05 pm Wow. I’m shocked. Is there a rule set in place for this type of occurrence or did she just decide not to play?
It is not a rule that a player can no longer play after entering the transfer portal. That just depends on the policy of the coach. For example, Princeton had 4 guys enter the portal as grad transfers after they lost to Yale in the Ivy League championship game. Then, they all played in their NIT game. Three started and played 37-40 minutes, and one played for one minute (probably got him in at the end to let him go out on the court).
Sounds like it must be Shea's policy that once you enter the portal you are no longer a member of the team. Players can also enter the portal and then decide to stay. I wonder if Coach Ralph would consider keeping a player who entered the portal and then decided she'd like to stay. It sounds like she might not take such a player back (and she is not required to do so).
I am guessing that Coach didn't like it that Brinae wouldn't wait until the postseason ended to enter the portal. I thought I sensed a little bit of an edge when she said, "Brinae chose to enter the Transfer Portal and therefore is no longer a part of the team." I think this is an area where Coach Ralph is going to be stubborn and insist on total commitment to the program...or move on ASAP.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

Re: Brinae - we will never know the whole story, nor should we as really between Coach/team/Brinae; however I believe she was treated more than fairly as she was a starter & integral part of team all the way up to the portal decision (though portal decision was really quick after SEC tourney but may have wanted get her name out there before the big influx, & seems indicate she did not have a "prearranged deal elsewhere")- even though Coach said they knew early on she was going to transfer & that they had been supportive; some teams might have drastically reduced her role; she played hard, helped younger players, etc. So---thanx Brinae, best wishes forward; Thanx CSR for your leadership & dedication to the program. We have our Coach & great staff, team that believes & gives their best every game, promising recruits, and are just getting started! And Husky.....no you cannot have her back!
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

Boris wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:11 am
VandyDan78 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:05 pm Wow. I’m shocked. Is there a rule set in place for this type of occurrence or did she just decide not to play?
It is not a rule that a player can no longer play after entering the transfer portal. That just depends on the policy of the coach. For example, Princeton had 4 guys enter the portal as grad transfers after they lost to Yale in the Ivy League championship game. Then, they all played in their NIT game. Three started and played 37-40 minutes, and one played for one minute (probably got him in at the end to let him go out on the court).
Sounds like it must be Shea's policy that once you enter the portal you are no longer a member of the team. Players can also enter the portal and then decide to stay. I wonder if Coach Ralph would consider keeping a player who entered the portal and then decided she'd like to stay. It sounds like she might not take such a player back (and she is not required to do so).
I am guessing that Coach didn't like it that Brinae wouldn't wait until the postseason ended to enter the portal. I thought I sensed a little bit of an edge when she said, "Brinae chose to enter the Transfer Portal and therefore is no longer a part of the team." I think this is an area where Coach Ralph is going to be stubborn and insist on total commitment to the program...or move on ASAP.
You really don't know Shea. The little bit of an edge was letting the reporters know that she will not discuss it. The decision as to what information is revealed is up to the player. When you say, "Sounds like it must be ..." you are putting your words in the mouth of another. Your entire post is one of negative assumptions of another person. My opinion is that you don't know Shea. Don't know her policies. And don't know what happened. Your paraphrasing of Shea is incorrect. If you will listen to this interview. Shea clearly says "it was completely up to her (Brinae)".

Brinae decided before the season she was not going to use her extra year at Vandy and had informed Coach about that. She was given the option to play and turned it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkn7hoATvP0
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I don't know policies. I don't know intentions or motives. On either side. But it just doesn't look right.
Boris
Chief

Post by Boris »

HuskyT wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:08 pm
Boris wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:11 am
You really don't know Shea. The little bit of an edge was letting the reporters know that she will not discuss it. The decision as to what information is revealed is up to the player. When you say, "Sounds like it must be ..." you are putting your words in the mouth of another. Your entire post is one of negative assumptions of another person. My opinion is that you don't know Shea. Don't know her policies. And don't know what happened. Your paraphrasing of Shea is incorrect. If you will listen to this interview. Shea clearly says "it was completely up to her (Brinae)".

Brinae decided before the season she was not going to use her extra year at Vandy and had informed Coach about that. She was given the option to play and turned it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkn7hoATvP0
You clearly misunderstood my post. I didn't give an opinion on Shea's policies. My opinion is that she has a right to decide what the policies will be. She informs the players, they make their decisions...and accept the consequences. In that sense, it was Brinae's decision. She chose to enter the transfer portal before the NIT, so she chose to not be a part of the team anymore (because she knew the consequences based on the policy the coach had communicated to her previously). Nothing wrong with Shea's handling of that. As far as the edge goes, my reading of that was a frustrated coach who was disappointed that a valued member of the team chose a path that Shea Ralph would not have chosen as a player. There is nothing wrong with that, either. At the same time, Coach Ralph wanted to be classy and appreciative of the player for her noteworthy contributions to the program. It can be both and often is.
As far as stubbornness goes, you have to be stubborn and stick to your principles to be a good coach. The best coaches know when they need to be stubborn and when they better not be. I think Shea Ralph will be a very good coach, and I hope she makes it to great!
Locked Previous topicNext topic