Next Year's Guards

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Next Year's Guards

Post by Nashmann »

Will Pippen and Catman most likely leave after this year....what are we gonna do? Thomas, DeZonie & Lawrence? It Will put a lot of pressure on Shelby... Where will our points come from? Stute I guess. If any other spots open up, an experienced guard is needed.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Next Year's Guards

Post by Vandy187187 »

We don't have a PG on the roster next year that can score or run the offense. I agree, transfer portal it is if those 2 go. Maybe we can find another Chatman.
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

Yes, if SJP leaves we better hope Shelby is ready for prime time. I haven’t seen anything that makes me think Dezonie, Lawrence or Thomas could be a calming ball handling presence is the face of pressure. I’d almost rather see Wright do it than those 3.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

the portal has changed the nature of these conversations. Doesn't Auburn start four transfers. So while a good question, who knows whether we get a transfer or two and if so who will fill in for these roles. Otherwise we certainly do have a challenge next year
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 am Will Pippen and Catman most likely leave after this year....what are we gonna do? Thomas, DeZonie & Lawrence? It Will put a lot of pressure on Shelby... Where will our points come from? Stute I guess. If any other spots open up, an experienced guard is needed.
In the short (almost) year since we’ve gotten acquainted with Rodney Chatman, i’ve seen his last name misspelled on this board more than any other player - Catman, Chapman, Chaman, Chatmen, etc. It’s so funny that this is the one name VandyMania posters can never quite get down.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

dore74 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 am the portal has changed the nature of these conversations. Doesn't Auburn start four transfers. So while a good question, who knows whether we get a transfer or two and if so who will fill in for these roles. Otherwise we certainly do have a challenge next year
there's NO way now to have any idea who our starting guards may be next year. there are just too many variables these days, so we must just hide and watch.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VandyBias wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:21 pm
Nashmann wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 am Will Pippen and Catman most likely leave after this year....what are we gonna do? Thomas, DeZonie & Lawrence? It Will put a lot of pressure on Shelby... Where will our points come from? Stute I guess. If any other spots open up, an experienced guard is needed.
In the short (almost) year since we’ve gotten acquainted with Rodney Chatman, i’ve seen his last name misspelled on this board more than any other player - Catman, Chapman, Chaman, Chatmen, etc. It’s so funny that this is the one name VandyMania posters can never quite get down.
Which is saying something, since we had Dawid Przybyszewski not that long ago.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

LOL....I just typed too fast...I know it's Clapmen ;)
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

docdore wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:12 pm
dore74 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 am the portal has changed the nature of these conversations. Doesn't Auburn start four transfers. So while a good question, who knows whether we get a transfer or two and if so who will fill in for these roles. Otherwise we certainly do have a challenge next year
there's NO way now to have any idea who our starting guards may be next year. there are just too many variables these days, so we must just hide and watch.
That is a bit disconcerting, not that we couldn't find a good guard, but that we don't have anyone currently on the roster that we could count on to either 1)run the point or 2) score 10 ppg. It is true that schools like UK and Auburn have been able to pick up some of the top mid major players, but are we there yet? Any kid who is eligible for college is likely eligible to play at Auburn or UK. The same is not true for Vanderbilt. The number of available athletes for our school is smaller regardless of whether they are HS recruits or current college students. Any coach we have absolutely has to develop the players he has and make sure there is a continual succession plan.

The other issue is that we don't have enough scholarships for the recruits we have signed. There are at least two players on this roster with eligibility for next season that will have to leave for us to have space for the incoming freshmen. To get any additional transfers means having additional current players leave. That to me is a waste in that we are spending seasons developing players and then after a year or two deciding that they aren't good enough for the program.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:48 pm
That is why most just called him D-sheb or Dawid.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Chatman has no more eligibility, so he is definitely gone.
You have to figure Pippen is likely done with college at the end of this season, too (which is unfortunate, because he will leave a huge vacancy).
Robbins technically could return, but would either be a fifth year senior or need to enroll in a grad program. Not sure about his academic standing, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him go.

By my calculations, with the incoming freshmen that would be 13 scholarships. Even if Robbins stays (which would be a nice boon), you have to figure 1-2 other guys transfer. Nature of the beast these days. Finding a suitable PG in the transfer portal is essential to any success next year.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

commadore wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:23 pm
Jason94 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:48 pm

That is why most just called him D-sheb or Dawid.
And some people even misspelled David’s first name.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Locked Previous topicNext topic