Celtics signing Luke Kornet for the rest of the season

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Celtics signing Luke Kornet for the rest of the season

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

With the exception of a couple of 10-day contracts around the holidays, Kornet has spent the season with the G League Maine Celtics.

[tweet][/tweet]

roanoke
Admiral

Boston Commodores

Post by roanoke »

That puts two Commodores on their roster - Luke and Aaron Nesmith.

They have been playing pretty well lately...

When was the last time an NBA team featured two Vandy guys on its roster? Anybody?
Gambit
Ensign

Re: Celtics signing Luke Kornet for the rest of the season

Post by Gambit »

I don’t watch a lot of NBA, so I only have stats to go by, but both Nysmith and Saben Lee seem to have regressed this season. Nesmith’s numbers are materially down: minutes, PPG, FG%, 3pt% etc. Lee seems to be getting in the game infrequently too. I know Detroit drafted a PG early so the finances said they had to give that guy the minutes, but I thought Saben showed promise as a rookie.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Boston Commodores

Post by nyyankeeDore »

roanoke wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:46 am That puts two Commodores on their roster - Luke and Aaron Nesmith.

They have been playing pretty well lately...

When was the last time an NBA team featured two Vandy guys on its roster? Anybody?
Charles Davis and Will Perdue were on the Bulls together in the late 1980s or early 1990s.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Celtics signing Luke Kornet for the rest of the season

Post by mathguy »

Gambit wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:33 am I don’t watch a lot of NBA, so I only have stats to go by, but both Nysmith and Saben Lee seem to have regressed this season. Nesmith’s numbers are materially down: minutes, PPG, FG%, 3pt% etc. Lee seems to be getting in the game infrequently too. I know Detroit drafted a PG early so the finances said they had to give that guy the minutes, but I thought Saben showed promise as a rookie.
Celtics fan here. Hard to say Nesmith has regressed, as he didn't do much for the Celtics last year in the first place. There was modest hype about him in the preseason, but this year hasn't gone well. Can't find his way into the rotation. With the small number of minutes and infrequent playin time, I wouldn't put much stock in his actual numbers ... it's not like he's forgotten how to shoot. He just doesn't do it often enough to find a rhythm.

The trade deadline might prove good for him. The Celtics dumped 5 players, including two pretty regular rotation guards, and also Nesmith's fellow benchwarmer Romeo Langford, and only got two players back - one of whom is a center. So over the next few weeks you would expect Nesmith (and also non-Commodore Payton Pritchard) to get more opportunities ... time to see if they can do anything with them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic