Graham Harrell

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

belair
Rear Admiral

Graham Harrell

Post by belair »

Does anybody else think we should just pony up some cash and hire Graham Harrell as OC and be done with it?
Out of a job at USC and impressive pedigree for a young coach. Air Raid guy that has been with Leach. A few years of play calling under his belt. Originally from Texas. Has been holding out for some head coaching gigs but perhaps a bit early for that for him.

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Graham Harrell

Post by vandy05 »

Its probably a little bit unfair to talk about hiring Harrell in terms that make it appear he could be had as our OC if only we would pony up the money. A guy has to want to do this job, in my opinion (and who knows, maybe he does). But just being an Air Raid guy that has been with Leach doesn't amount to much for me.

In my very humble opinion, the Air Raid is not a panacea that cures all ills. You do have to run more wide open these days, but that is different than Air Raid.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Well I don't guess I am trying to convince you of anything 05. One service has him rated at the 14th best offensive coordinator in the country. He is a young enough guy I think to be a good fit.
If we stick with the Lynch and whatever function Raih performs then so be it, but I would be open to an improvement in scheme and play calling.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

we don't have an opening last I heard
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Am I too harsh to believe what my eyes saw this past season and suggest that perhaps what we were doing isn’t working? Or do we just add some better players and we got this?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

belair wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:15 pm Am I too harsh to believe what my eyes saw this past season and suggest that perhaps what we were doing isn’t working? Or do we just add some better players and we got this?
I don't think its too harsh. My commentary is probably more broad in that hiring is a bit more complicated that jut picking someone out and going to get them. And as was pointed out, we don't have an opening right now. I think our offense has to get better, but a change after one year isn't the way to sustained success for a program like Vanderbilt in my opinion. Consistency is a big key to the building that needs to be done. Of course that has to be done with good coaches.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I don't think its too harsh. My commentary is probably more broad in that hiring is a bit more complicated that jut picking someone out and going to get them. And as was pointed out, we don't have an opening right now. I think our offense has to get better, but a change after one year isn't the way to sustained success for a program like Vanderbilt in my opinion. Consistency is a big key to the building that needs to be done. Of course that has to be done with good coaches.
[/quote]

Well we stayed consistent with Mason. I do agree with the benefit of staying consistent and build on learning with repetition. Could definitely see especially at QB that they were struggling to grasp the scheme instead of just playing. I do like Lynch and feel that he will be retained. I just question the value of Raih which is not so apparent and holds a critical position that could be used in play calling especially with someone more experienced.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I doubt we'll initiate any coaching changes this cycle. I think CCL will let this staff digest all the failures through this past season and give them a chance to adjust with clear expectations and goals.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

belair wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:03 pm I don't think its too harsh. My commentary is probably more broad in that hiring is a bit more complicated that jut picking someone out and going to get them. And as was pointed out, we don't have an opening right now. I think our offense has to get better, but a change after one year isn't the way to sustained success for a program like Vanderbilt in my opinion. Consistency is a big key to the building that needs to be done. Of course that has to be done with good coaches.
Well we stayed consistent with Mason. I do agree with the benefit of staying consistent and build on learning with repetition. Could definitely see especially at QB that they were struggling to grasp the scheme instead of just playing. I do like Lynch and feel that he will be retained. I just question the value of Raih which is not so apparent and holds a critical position that could be used in play calling especially with someone more experienced.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call what happened with Mason being consistent for the sake of being consistent. The guy did go to bowl games in years 3 and 5 which for our program is a reasonable measurement for success.

But that aside, I think there is validity to your question about Raih. But I think CCL deserves the benefit of the doubt to carry a coach into year 2 of his brand new regime.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

belair wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:03 pm Well we stayed consistent with Mason.
VU may have stayed consistent with Mason, but Mason's staff was like a revolving door - zero consistency.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic