Did we recruit a kicker?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Did we recruit a kicker?

Post by Golddore68 »

Bulovas was a senior last year. I didn’t see a kicker in the list of recruits. Do we have any kickers on the team who can step in and take over for Bulovas?

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did we recruit a kicker?

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The only placekicker currently on the roster returning for next season is Will Faris, who was a freshman this year, although P Jared Wheatley did kick in high school.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I believe Bulovas can come back another Covid year.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

And with Luke Akers looming in the portal as a punter, we could be in very good shape.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

belair wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 pm I believe Bulovas can come back another Covid year.
Technically and athletically, yes, but he would have to find another graduate program at VU. He's currently enrolled as a graduate student in the 12-month Masters of Marketing program.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

See women's soccer roster.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Well he might like to be known as Dr Bulovas. 😂
ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Post by ChattaDore »

There’s a stud in Ringgold GA with few to no offers and I just don’t understand it. This year alone: Made a 43 yarder to win as time expired. Made 47 yarder to tie round one of playoffs. Missed two PATs all year, one was a bad snap. This for a team that averaged 35ish points a game pre-playoff.
Something like 78/80% touchback percentage. He can hit from 55. I think he went 12-15 this year with one block and in bad snap. His miss, if I’m not mistaken, was from 40ish into the wind.
Landon Eaker is his name. I’m sure his grades are there. He’s coming off a tough JR year recovering from a car accident. Someone is gonna land a good one last minute. Wish I had the ties to get him a look.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Hey ChattaDore, if you haven’t already done this email Barton Simmons at
football _recruiting@vanderbilt.edu
I suggested a look at a potential recruit last year. I don’t know if they gave him a look, but I did get an email response thanking me for the suggestion.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

frstev17 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:08 am Hey ChattaDore, if you haven’t already done this email Barton Simmons at
football _recruiting@vanderbilt.edu
I suggested a look at a potential recruit last year. I don’t know if they gave him a look, but I did get an email response thanking me for the suggestion.
Second this, Bulovas was horrible in that florida game and giving another PK a shot as a PWO wouldn’t hurt
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Kickers are generally judged on how well they perform in camps with H.S. kicks discarded. A great number of kickers struggle to find accuracy when moving from a kicking block to lifting off the ground and Eaker appears to be no exception. He struggled a bit with drift to the right at the North Georgia Kicking Academy this year (which is also common when moving away from the block). We had a kid down here a few years ago that was a difference maker at kicker and also a soccer phenom. Didn't perform well in camps without the block and after 2 years of juco hung up his football cleats without finding "it" off the ground. Our current kicker here is a game changer has performed very well in national kicking camps and is ranked #57 overall kicker by Kohl's; even though he's ranked much higher in some individual metrics like accuracy, lift, plant, and follow through. Why the low ranking? He's around 5'6 or 5'7 and weighs about a buck fifty.
ChattaDore
Rear Admiral

Post by ChattaDore »

DivergentDore wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:30 pm Kickers are generally judged on how well they perform in camps with H.S. kicks discarded. A great number of kickers struggle to find accuracy when moving from a kicking block to lifting off the ground and Eaker appears to be no exception. He struggled a bit with drift to the right at the North Georgia Kicking Academy this year (which is also common when moving away from the block). We had a kid down here a few years ago that was a difference maker at kicker and also a soccer phenom. Didn't perform well in camps without the block and after 2 years of juco hung up his football cleats without finding "it" off the ground. Our current kicker here is a game changer has performed very well in national kicking camps and is ranked #57 overall kicker by Kohl's; even though he's ranked much higher in some individual metrics like accuracy, lift, plant, and follow through. Why the low ranking? He's around 5'6 or 5'7 and weighs about a buck fifty.
This is some good info that I didn’t realize. To be honest, I was at every game of his this year and I never paid attention to if he used a block or not. Kid’s dad built him a regulation FG Posts in his backyard and I drive by frequently and see him out there. He also plays left back on the school soccer team and I’ve always thought he would be a great get for any soccer program. He just loves kicking a football more.
Edit: I went back to watch video of his kicks and he did not use a block this year from what I see. All their games except Round one of the playoffs are posted on their Facebook page… streamed live https://www.facebook.com/RHSgaSports (vs Sonoraville at 35:17 mark if you wanna double check for me)

On a side note, Ringgold had their best season in school history this year. they had a RB and a Safety that are undersized but really are the backbone and main reason they went 10-2. The best offer they have is Kennesaw State and Berry respectively. Just shows me how hard it is to make it to the college football ranks.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

DivergentDore wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:30 pm Kickers are generally judged on how well they perform in camps with H.S. kicks discarded. A great number of kickers struggle to find accuracy when moving from a kicking block to lifting off the ground and Eaker appears to be no exception. He struggled a bit with drift to the right at the North Georgia Kicking Academy this year (which is also common when moving away from the block). We had a kid down here a few years ago that was a difference maker at kicker and also a soccer phenom. Didn't perform well in camps without the block and after 2 years of juco hung up his football cleats without finding "it" off the ground. Our current kicker here is a game changer has performed very well in national kicking camps and is ranked #57 overall kicker by Kohl's; even though he's ranked much higher in some individual metrics like accuracy, lift, plant, and follow through. Why the low ranking? He's around 5'6 or 5'7 and weighs about a buck fifty.
Wasn't the kid at Stewarts Creek (Smyrna area) special teams Mr. Football in TN and ranked in the top ten in the nation at the Kohl's or am I thinking about somebody else? There is a rumor that he will walk on at Bama if they don't offer. He may have already visited there and maybe South Carolina (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFVJIqqktug
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

Wasn't the kid at Stewarts Creek (Smyrna area) special teams Mr. Football in TN and ranked in the top ten in the nation at the Kohl's or am I thinking about somebody else? There is a rumor that he will walk on at Bama if they don't offer. He may have already visited there and maybe South Carolina (?)

He committed yesterday as a PWO at Alabama. He had an off the field issue that got him suspended for a few games and was ejected from a game this year. Those things may have scared some people away.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

How does a kicker get ejected from a game??
secchamp
Lieutenant

Post by secchamp »

He was being pushed after the play and retaliated by kicking the guy where no one wants to be kicked.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

secchamp wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:26 pm He was being pushed after the play and retaliated by kicking the guy where no one wants to be kicked.
Well, he is a kicker...
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Now that makes sense!
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Can't Bulovas stretch his program out for one semester or take credits toward another program for a semester, whether on not he finishes it?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

dcdore wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:06 pm
secchamp wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:26 pm He was being pushed after the play and retaliated by kicking the guy where no one wants to be kicked.
Well, he is a kicker...
Gives a new meaning to "targeting."

(He committed to Bama)
https://twitter.com/ubellenfant25

As if Bama needs another weapon...
{In the TACA East/West Allstar game}
His first two kickoffs split the uprights. His remaining KO hit the fence beyond the end zone on the fly. Two of his PAT’s had to be chased down outside the stadium.
Locked Previous topicNext topic