Little Rock- I know, I’m early…

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyDan78
Captain

Little Rock- I know, I’m early…

Post by VandyDan78 »

Had a few extra minutes to dive into the stats of last years game vs Little Rock. The scoring stat is ALARMING. 63 of those points scored were by 4 players who are no longer on the team :( This game will be much more challenging than last nights. Winnable, yes, but it will require some effort! I sure hope Jordyn is ok! Regardless, it was a joy to be back inside Memorial last night. Let’s hope they figure out the Jumbotron and new screens because they were a hot mess last night! Lol ;)
BCF0A54B-84C0-4358-AD3D-E506B3C4A71E.jpeg
BCF0A54B-84C0-4358-AD3D-E506B3C4A71E.jpeg (448.07 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

SV#
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Little Rock- I know, I’m early…

Post by MikeADore »

Hey, Dan, coach Ralph said Jordyn is fine. It was kind of scary to see her go down.

Yeah, that Little Rock game last year was horrible. Our first three games got cancelled, then we rolled in there and got a whipping put on us. I remember being down by 20-plus in the first half and having this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. They're a tough bunch. They make their living on the defensive end, though they did do a surprising amount of damage to us from the 3-point line hitting five of them. This will definitely be a toughness test for the Commodores. Monday night at MTSU will be another one. Insell's teams always get after it.

By the way, Little Rock has all but one player back from last year. It's going to be very interesting to see how our team reacts to the challenge.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Little Rock had 2 players last year that combined for 51 points against us. Neither are on the roster for this year and I see no one who gave us many problems last year. I’m certain they will come in here full of confidence, especially when they see no one on our roster who scored more than 5 points in last year’s game. I loved the hustle and attitude of our players last night, but as coach stated, we have a long way to go and I’m afraid we will really struggle against SEC competition……I’m not sure who we can beat. I was extremely impressed with Cheesman’s game and she’s not afraid of contact as well as having a great touch from 3. Smith will battle with anyone and plays about 4 inches taller, but that won’t be enough against 6’4” post players. I’m surprised Chambers didn’t get more PT and I assume Pearl is continuing to recover. Demi was really pressing, last night, but will slow down and be a solid player. Moore showed signs, but her inexperience was evident and will improve with more PT. I believe Little Rock will be a W!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Good catch there, Ndorefin. I had looked at last season's rosters for seniors then looked at this year's roster. I saw only one senior moved on, and one was back for the extra year, apparently. Completely overlooked the fact that Scott and Crane, the two players you are talking about scoring 51 against us, were no longer on the roster. Both were redshirt juniors last year. No telling what happened. It's the wild west when it comes to transfers these days. Could be they just graduated and decided to move along.
VandyDan78
Captain

Post by VandyDan78 »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:18 pm Little Rock had 2 players last year that combined for 51 points against us. Neither are on the roster for this year and I see no one who gave us many problems last year. I’m certain they will come in here full of confidence, especially when they see no one on our roster who scored more than 5 points in last year’s game. I loved the hustle and attitude of our players last night, but as coach stated, we have a long way to go and I’m afraid we will really struggle against SEC competition……I’m not sure who we can beat. I was extremely impressed with Cheesman’s game and she’s not afraid of contact as well as having a great touch from 3. Smith will battle with anyone and plays about 4 inches taller, but that won’t be enough against 6’4” post players. I’m surprised Chambers didn’t get more PT and I assume Pearl is continuing to recover. Demi was really pressing, last night, but will slow down and be a solid player. Moore showed signs, but her inexperience was evident and will improve with more PT. I believe Little Rock will be a W!
Thank you. I guess I got so distraught after seeing our stats that I didn’t even bother to check theirs. That changes things and kind of puts us back on level playing field. Now I can look at this game more optimistically!
SV#
Locked Previous topicNext topic