My annual rant on TV control of kick times

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

My annual rant on TV control of kick times

Post by FayetteDore »

CAVEAT: I FULLY understand WHY TV gets to control kickoff times. I fully understand that without the SEC's TV contracts, VU wouldn't get $48M or whatever the annual payout is and athletics would suffer as a result. I. GET. IT. I KNOW IT WON'T CHANGE. So no need to attack me on those points.

That doesn't mean I can't rant about a system that requires VU (and others of course) to play on Saturday NIGHT in mid-November when the forecast calls for an evening temperature of 34 degrees (en route to an overnight low of 29-30) WHEN WE COULD otherwise play Saturday AFTERNOON under sunny skies and a forecast high of 48.

Remember when, before every game was televised, kickoffs in October were at 2 pm and in November at 1 pm? Wouldn't it be nice to stroll across the campus at noon and admire the fall foliage? Instead, kickoff v. Kentucky will be an hour and 20 minutes after sunset.

And yes, I know it gives us an opportunity to rake leaves and run errands all day Saturday, then go to the game at night. And yes, I know more people get to watch the game when its televised.

Still... I'll be there with my flannel-lined cords and, since it's a blackout, my heavy black jacket.

Annual rant over. Carry on.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Re: My annual rant on TV control of kick times

Post by Podge91 »

I'm taking my 6th grade son to the game on Saturday. His first college football game.

The last game I attended live was ETSU.

Before that, I took another of my sons to HIS first college football game. In 2019. Against UNLV.

My track record is not great lately.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Podge91 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am I'm taking my 6th grade son to the game on Saturday. His first college football game.

The last game I attended live was ETSU.

Before that, I took another of my sons to HIS first college football game. In 2019. Against UNLV.

My track record is not great lately.
We were heavy favorites in those last two games. This will either be a reverse jinx, or perhaps you'd be interested in a pair of tickets to see the new Marvel movie, Eternals.
Podge91
Rear Admiral

Post by Podge91 »

In 2016, I took my oldest son to his first CFB game at VU (his first altogether was the 2015 game at Tennessee-Knoxville).

We weren't supposed to win that one, but won rather convincingly and then went on to beat Tennessee-Knoxville the next week at home as well.

So there's a chance...
Locked Previous topicNext topic