My Take on the Season and the Team

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

My Take on the Season and the Team

Post by MikeADore »

The season is upon us, and I still haven’t quite managed to put into words what I think about the upcoming season and this team. First of all, no one cares nor should they care what I think. I have no special insight or knowledge. I’m just a fan. A loyal one, I think.

My quandary is this: I absolutely admire these young ladies, but I think they’re in for a rough road this season.

They are the ones that stuck it out. In the midst of perhaps the greatest turmoil in program history between cancelling the season due to injuries and sickness, the advent of the transfer portal and the firing of a coach, these young women were steadfast. You have to feel they are made of the right stuff. I have no ill will toward those who left. I understand it and wish them well. But, those who remain will have a special place in my heart.

Still, it’s tough. In terms of college games played, this could be the most inexperienced P5 team in the country. If not, it is certainly one of them. We have two seniors. One of them, Brinae Alexander, has played in just 12 games since her freshman year. The other, Jordyn Cambridge, came into the program recovering from knee surgery. She appeared in 24 of the 30 games that year but only 15 minutes per game as she recovered. She played a full slate of games as a sophomore, but missed all of the abbreviated season last year with another knee injury.

We have only four players on the team that played at all last year: Alexander (5 games), Brylee Bartram, Yaubryon Chambers and Bella LaChance, all of whom played parts of eight games. Not much time for improvement in that kind of season. Even coach Ralph noted that when she was finally able to work with them this summer, the first several weeks were spent trying to catch up on conditioning so they could actually practice full speed in the final weeks of summer camp.

If it sounds like I’m making pre-emptive excuses for them, I don’t mean to. I’m trying to be realistic about where the program stands. I think we’ll get a terrific effort from this team, and I think they will improve as the season goes along. I’m hoping I can make that the only measure of success. For me, at least.

Do they get better from start to finish? Do they become more fundamentally sound as the season progresses? Do they give maximum effort on both ends of the floor? If those things happen, I, for one, will have no complaints.

I come into the season hopeful but with eyes wide open. I have absolute faith in our coaches, and we have a team filled, I think, with bright and driven young ladies. Also, I like the freshman class.

So, I’m about as excited as I’ve ever been for the start of a season. I don’t even see it as a rebuild. I see it as coach Ralph starting to build a new Vandy program. Go Dores.

ETA: I say Vandy by 20 tonight.

Doubledore
Lieutenant

Re: My Take on the Season and the Team

Post by Doubledore »

I think a fair and accurate assessment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic