Time to leave the SEC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Re: Time to leave the SEC

Post by BILTMORE »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:44 pm Heck no to the big 10. I don't get everyone's infatuation with it. The same things we see here, exist up there folks. Besides, we are a southern school, and I DO NOT want to be viewed as a Midwestern school.

You think we have difficulty competing here????? Try going up there and playing that plodding style of football every year. Boring as heck to watch. Think UTe fans are clowns? Try mich or slowhio state fans for a couple seasons. Obnoxious as they come.

The grass wouldn't be greener. It'd be brown.
I don't gather that anyone's "infatuated" with the Big10, but I think people recognize that it may be a better fit for us. I'm not going to be naive and claim that there is any moral superiority to be found at tOSU and PSU, BUT generally speaking, the Big 10 has schools with more academic integrity than the anti-intellectual shark-infested cesspool that is the SEC.
The Big 10 has a small rigorous private school and higher number of the top state schools in the country: Michigan, IU, Illinois, Wisc, etc.

And to the other poster that urged for Southern purity, I don't consider Mizzou or Oklahoma southern (Lexington ky isn't the most southern place either for that matter). And I'm quite sure Rutgers, PSU, MD don't consider themselves part of the midwest.

The landscape of college football is changing. Why shouldn't Vanderbilt adapt too?

So to recap the argument for the big 10:
bigger payout, more academic integrity, better offensive football (who knew), and frankly superior tradition. If we're being honest, during the first 3/4 of the 20th century ,no one gave two sh!Ws about the SEC. The midwest and east coast dominated the national conversation about football and was where the best football was played. Rutgers is the birth place of American football. Can't get more traditional than that.

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

This is a futile, absurd thread, written by followers of Kafka. It will never happen, unless we are kicked out (which will not happen). SV#

Posters are attempting to rationalize their positions with dubious factoids. Again, not going to happen.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 am Actually the BigTen has wanted Vandy for a LONG time to put in the league opposite Northwestern.
If there really is anything other than an 11 year old article by Don pointing out some of the advantages of the Big 10 to support this, I'd be all ears. How much revenue would Vandy add to the Big 10? Enough to offset dividing the pie up further?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:32 pm I watched VU play BC in the MCB and still can't feel my fingers and toes. That was in Nashville.

Which is in Tennessee. Which is in the south.
Probably more to do with the alcohol intake than the weather. :lol:
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm
BrentVU wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm I have an idea: after every loss from now on, in football, basketball, or baseball, someone start a "Time to leave the SEC!!!" thread. And after every win, someone start a "No, wait, time to rejoin the SEC!!!" thread. That way, we can maximize this important discussion of things very likely to happen in the near future.
I've another idea: when reacting to something that occurs during a game, put it into the Game Thread (duh!) -- which is where this ORIGINAL exhortation should have gone, immediately after the overturned TD. The OP hasn't returned to defend his post but I think that's what he was reacting to. Why start a new thread -- especially on a subject that has been litigated ad infinitum.
Correct, Fayette. It belonged more in the game thread where context was evident. My bad and apologies for raising what is likely a non-issue.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Johnmn555 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 am
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 am Actually the BigTen has wanted Vandy for a LONG time to put in the league opposite Northwestern.
If there really is anything other than an 11 year old article by Don pointing out some of the advantages of the Big 10 to support this, I'd be all ears. How much revenue would Vandy add to the Big 10? Enough to offset dividing the pie up further?
It's about expanding the footprint into areas that are sports media crazed. You think the BigTen added Rutgers just for the heck of it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Ten Has Evaluated Vanderbilt as Potential Expansion Target
https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/4/2 ... ealignment
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

dcdore wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:17 am
FayetteDore wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm
BrentVU wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm I have an idea: after every loss from now on, in football, basketball, or baseball, someone start a "Time to leave the SEC!!!" thread. And after every win, someone start a "No, wait, time to rejoin the SEC!!!" thread. That way, we can maximize this important discussion of things very likely to happen in the near future.
I've another idea: when reacting to something that occurs during a game, put it into the Game Thread (duh!) -- which is where this ORIGINAL exhortation should have gone, immediately after the overturned TD. The OP hasn't returned to defend his post but I think that's what he was reacting to. Why start a new thread -- especially on a subject that has been litigated ad infinitum.
Correct, Fayette. It belonged more in the game thread where context was evident. My bad and apologies for raising what is likely a non-issue.
My sincere apology to you DCDore for being a jerk in my post. As I said earlier, I had exactly the same reaction that you did to the overturned call. And thank you for your calm response.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:11 am
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:32 pm I watched VU play BC in the MCB and still can't feel my fingers and toes. That was in Nashville.

I wish. And that frozen windy game was on the heels of the bogus delayed "battle of the bands" on 2nd ave. the night before... the mysterious "technical difficulties" that kept pushing it back when both bands were set to go and people were freezing on the sidewalks. The delays that coincided with coupons being handed out to bars on 2nd ave. - ??

Nobody would ever answer for that debacle. All inquiries went ignored. It wasn't exactly tropical weather when we played NC State in the MCB either.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:15 am
commadore wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:11 am

I wish. And that frozen windy game was on the heels of the bogus delayed "battle of the bands" on 2nd ave. the night before... the mysterious "technical difficulties" that kept pushing it back when both bands were set to go and people were freezing on the sidewalks. The delays that coincided with coupons being handed out to bars on 2nd ave. - ??

Nobody would ever answer for that debacle. All inquiries went ignored. It wasn't exactly tropical weather when we played NC State in the MCB either.
Such an exciting game the PUNTER was named MVP! HA.
Locked Previous topicNext topic