Time to leave the SEC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikenNashville
Captain

Re: Time to leave the SEC

Post by MikenNashville »

Dang Comma I had “semi” forgotten about Willie Gault, now I’m even more ticked thinking about that game.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:08 am If we left the SEC, we'd be just like Rice is now (and football would be ignored yet cost the University a ton of money). The Big 10 and ACC don't want us. It wouldn't boost their TV ratings in Nashville. I say SEC or drop football, as non of the football alternatives are viable for us.

And if we manage one decent upset, there will be cries of "second deck the stadium", as there were when we beat Bama in 1984. To be a fan is to be manic.
Actually the BigTen has wanted Vandy for a LONG time to put in the league opposite Northwestern. This would also get the league into the sports crazy Nashville media market. VU to the BigTen is NOT a new idea.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 104710566/
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The minority who advocate for leaving the SEC fail to realize how negatively the entire Athletic Department would be impacted. It's a $50M per year loss, at a minimum. Every program would suffer without those SEC dollars and the recruiting pitch that comes with being a part of the league. I hate it that football is the sacrificial lamb for our inclusion in the club, but if you want to compete for titles in baseball, golf, tennis, soccer. etc, you have to stay in as long as the let us.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Commodoredave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 am The minority who advocate for leaving the SEC fail to realize how negatively the entire Athletic Department would be impacted. It's a $50M per year loss, at a minimum.

Incorrect. The yearly check from the BigTen would be at minimum the same. They have a very strong TV network.

Big Ten Led All Conferences in 2020 Revenue: The Big Ten's total revenue dropped in 2020, but it was still about $40 million higher than the SEC. The conference payouts to the schools was $54.3 million.

Total Revenue
Big Ten: $768.9 million
SEC: $728.9 million
Pac-12: $533.8 million
ACC: $496.7 million
Big 12: $409.2 million

School Payouts
Big Ten: $54.3 million
SEC: $45.5 million
Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
Pac-12: $33.6 million
ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

source: Sports Illustrated
Last edited by MrMemorial on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

The SEC's payout is predicted to go to $60 mil with the next tv contract. And i believe that estimate was before UTx & UO.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I would go for a Big 10 move. Far better fit IMHO in every way.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Heck no to the big 10. I don't get everyone's infatuation with it. The same things we see here, exist up there folks. Besides, we are a southern school, and I DO NOT want to be viewed as a Midwestern school.

You think we have difficulty competing here????? Try going up there and playing that plodding style of football every year. Boring as heck to watch. Think UTe fans are clowns? Try mich or slowhio state fans for a couple seasons. Obnoxious as they come.

The grass wouldn't be greener. It'd be brown.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I think we stay and see how college football evolves over the next few years.

On the one hand I think more and more families see the value of an education and that over time it will help a program like ours. Also on that hand is that in a "super football division" some hot damn team (e.g. UT(jr); LSU) becomes the new Vandy.

On the other hand a bit more free market intrusion (and I support this to some degree as the athletes are not getting a large enough percentage of the value they are generating) and we really may be left behind the in dust.

I feel that in every other sport we are certainly good enough to remain in the SEC, no problem.

One last thought--when i saw the replay i thought the TD was getting overturned myself. I honestly don't think the league has it our for us.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:44 pm Try going up there and playing that plodding style of football every year.
You mean tOSU and Michigan... two of the top 10 scoring teams in the nation?
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-game

So far, the "plodding" thing has been blown out of the water as well as the "paycheck" thing.

People clinging to the SEC are running out of failed myths to fall back on.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Also a bit of a myth that we are a "southern" school. Student body and alumni much more diverse than our SEC brethren.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

belair wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm Also a bit of a myth that we are a "southern" school. Student body and alumni much more diverse than our SEC brethren.
And here's a little fun fact...

Since 2005 Michigan State has been in the final four FIVE times as well as a number of times for Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State. Not that Indiana is without some hoops history. (5-time national champs)

:o :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The scummy big ten fan chants like the ones they begged the Wisconsin students to stop chanting (I will not quote) a few years ago, would get old quickly. At the CWS a couple of years ago in Omaha, they chanted back and forth, "Right field, you suck, Left field, you suck." And the cold. Like Alaska and Korea cold. I went to the Army-Navy game about 10 years ago in Maryland and almost froze to death. If I hadn't have had a photo credential, that enabled me to take warmup breaks in the photo room, I would have frozen or left the game very early.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

admin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm The scummy big ten fan chants like the ones they begged the Wisconsin students to stop chanting (I will not quote) a few years ago, would get old quickly. At the CWS a couple of years ago in Omaha, they chanted back and forth, "Right field, you suck, Left field, you suck."
Have you heard some of the LSU student chants? And the Bammers' version of Dixieland Delight? They're waaay beneath scummy. https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... light-band. https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... jM9m6dwH08
:shock:

They've dropped a long way since the old high school cheers that unofficially allowed teens to delightfully yell "hell" and "damn" in public and in front of their teachers and principals.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

belair wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm Also a bit of a myth that we are a "southern" school. Student body and alumni much more diverse than our SEC brethren.
Well, the school IS in Nashville, which IS in Tennessee, which IS in the South. Therefore, a southern school.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I have an idea: after every loss from now on, in football, basketball, or baseball, someone start a "Time to leave the SEC!!!" thread. And after every win, someone start a "No, wait, time to rejoin the SEC!!!" thread. That way, we can maximize this important discussion of things very likely to happen in the near future.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm I have an idea: after every loss from now on, in football, basketball, or baseball, someone start a "Time to leave the SEC!!!" thread. And after every win, someone start a "No, wait, time to rejoin the SEC!!!" thread. That way, we can maximize this important discussion of things very likely to happen in the near future.
I've another idea: when reacting to something that occurs during a game, put it into the Game Thread (duh!) -- which is where this ORIGINAL exhortation should have gone, immediately after the overturned TD. The OP hasn't returned to defend his post but I think that's what he was reacting to. Why start a new thread -- especially on a subject that has been litigated ad infinitum.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I watched VU play BC in the MCB and still can't feel my fingers and toes. That was in Nashville.

Which is in Tennessee. Which is in the south.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

How about an away football game in November in Wisconsin or Minnesota? Hmmmm. Not many fans from Vandy would be there. :roll: @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 pm How about an away football game in November in Wisconsin or Minnesota? Hmmmm. Not many fans from Vandy would be there. :roll: @AD

As if they go to away games in the south? Or in September?

How many of us will be at the South Carolina game this weekend?
Last edited by MrMemorial on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Or home games for that matter. The entire season. :o
Locked Previous topicNext topic