A MUST Win

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

belair
Rear Admiral

A MUST Win

Post by belair »

Guess I should have seen it coming, but now it sure feels like this weekend is a MUST win. So I expect us to be tight while UConn, already relieved of coach, is totally loose with nothing to lose. This setup has happened many, many times with generally bad outcomes.
Lose and the clouds in our players head just might not go away. Eke out a W, which I would totally be fine with personally, and clouds will still persist but hope of a miracle win will lurk. Blow them out and that dim hope becomes a bit brighter.
Still just no getting around that this is a MUST win.

SCSA
Captain

Re: A MUST Win

Post by SCSA »

well either way, after Saturday we will have won our last game of the season.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

We're clearly terrible, so I don't see anything as a must win. It's an opportunity to improve. If we can just show progress during these last 8 games, then that is a hopeful thing.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

SCSA wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 am well either way, after Saturday we will have won our last game of the season.
Easy to say, impossible to know.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

buffy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am We're clearly terrible, so I don't see anything as a must win. It's an opportunity to improve. If we can just show progress during these last 8 games, then that is a hopeful thing.
Yes, we just need to keep improving and getting better as Couch Lea transforms the program with help from the administration in the form of new spending and new facilities.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

At the end of the year, the season will be defined not by this game but what happens in the seven SEC games to come. If we are competitive and even pull one upset, there will be optimism; if we are consistently blown out, there will not. The UConn game will be history.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

buffy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am We're clearly terrible, so I don't see anything as a must win. It's an opportunity to improve. If we can just show progress during these last 8 games, then that is a hopeful thing.
This is exactly right, Buff. Look for progress, look for individual, team and coaching improvements. I think Clark Lea was spot on before the season started to say: "We cannot be defined by what people on the outside say." A lot of people, pundits, even our "fans" are trashing this team and coaching staff that are the product of previous inept or detached Kirkland Hall for over a half century. This won't be fixed by Saturday or this year or next. Look for incremental improvement that hopefully leads to winning. I am optimistic and will be patient as I have been for sooo loooong.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

This season is not about wins and losses. It’s about building a team one play at a time.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Perhaps I am a dinosaur. I really do think the purpose is to win. Why else keep score? As a young lad heard things like Lombardi saying things like winning was the ONLY thing. Of course winning is a result of many other things and I certainly don't disagree with that. What goes on your "permanent record" is well the record. The checkmarks for satisfactory conduct, effort, and attendance are sort of buried.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

belair wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:08 pm Perhaps I am a dinosaur. I really do think the purpose is to win. Why else keep score? As a young lad heard things like Lombardi saying things like winning was the ONLY thing. Of course winning is a result of many other things and I certainly don't disagree with that. What goes on your "permanent record" is well the record. The checkmarks for satisfactory conduct, effort, and attendance are sort of buried.
You're right in that winning is what matters. But the whole body of wins vs. losses is what matters to many. It is hard to define a season or a coach off of one game.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Well getting pounded by ETSU was a bit defining. So far not much to dispel that somehow that definition was a fluke. Colorado State beat themselves and well the next 2 beatings really were worse than the scores indicated. I am just pointing out that a loss this weekend would be REALLY defining to a point that not only would tank anything this season but would linger even into the next.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

A different perspective - It has been reported that these previous losses have value due to their ability to exploit issues of this program (not just this team) and provide the humbling experience that is needed in order to build from the ground up. Would a close victory against arguably the worst BCS program in the nation give a false sense of security as in at least we aren't the worst program?

I don't want to lose this game as it's embarrassing but probably no more embarrassing than anything that has already occurred. Does it offer more value for this program long-term if this isn't a victory? Weird logic, I know but it's hard to hit rock bottom if you don't think you've hit rock bottom.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I'd really be bummed out if we lose tomorrow. Nevertheless, as noted by everyone, we aren't very good for every reason in the book.

I like what i have seen from Coach Lea and think he can re-build our program in the right way and buy into the journey and the long road and all that. So I'm also of the school that we need to see what progress we make this year.

Having said that, if I'm going to be bummed out if we lose, Imagine what the team will feel like. Hence i REALLY want us to win tomorrow.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

dore74 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:16 pm I'd really be bummed out if we lose tomorrow. Nevertheless, as noted by everyone, we aren't very good for every reason in the book.

I like what i have seen from Coach Lea and think he can re-build our program in the right way and buy into the journey and the long road and all that. So I'm also of the school that we need to see what progress we make this year.

Having said that, if I'm going to be bummed out if we lose, Imagine what the team will feel like. Hence i REALLY want us to win tomorrow.
I think it is important that the team play better than they did against ETSU. If they do that, the result probably (but not certainly) will be a win.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

belair wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:08 pm Perhaps I am a dinosaur. I really do think the purpose is to win. Why else keep score? As a young lad heard things like Lombardi saying things like winning was the ONLY thing. Of course winning is a result of many other things and I certainly don't disagree with that. What goes on your "permanent record" is well the record. The checkmarks for satisfactory conduct, effort, and attendance are sort of buried.
When we're clearly outgunned, simple 'wins/losses' isn't gonna give us a very clear picture of progress. After this game, we won't be favored in another game. So we are gonna need some other metrics to measure progress. If that's a win, more the better. When we get a couple of years down the road, then yes, wins/loses has to be the fundamental metric. When there's a bit more parity of support and talent compared to other SEC schools, then it will boil down to how your captain is handling his ship.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

“Must” is a little strong- but we desperately need to snap the Home losing streak.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Good news is there is not a lot of offensive film for UConn’s defensive staff to scout.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

After GA first half over ARK, I feel a bit better about tonight.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

belair wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:39 pm After GA first half over ARK, I feel a bit better about tonight.
I was just about to say the same thing.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I no longer view the Mizzou game as "unwinnable."

It was supposed to be "unwinnable" in 2019 but Mo Hasan wasn't having any of that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic