OT: Coaching malpractice in Florida State game.

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

katmai
Rear Admiral

OT: Coaching malpractice in Florida State game.

Post by katmai »

I missed the ending of the Florida State-Jacksonville State game until this morning. That was about the worst defensive scheme I have ever seen for a Hail-Mary scenario. JSU is on their own 41 with 4th and 10 and time for one play, and Florida State has at least 9 men within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage at the snap. The ball is caught around the 20, and FSU only had two players back there to try and tackle the receiver. Many things to hate about a loss like that, but I would be most furious at that play call.

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Coaching malpractice in Florida State game.

Post by vandy05 »

katmai wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 am I missed the ending of the Florida State-Jacksonville State game until this morning. That was about the worst defensive scheme I have ever seen for a Hail-Mary scenario. JSU is on their own 41 with 4th and 10 and time for one play, and Florida State has at least 9 men within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage at the snap. The ball is caught around the 20, and FSU only had two players back there to try and tackle the receiver. Many things to hate about a loss like that, but I would be most furious at that play call.
Absolutely horrid. I heard their coach say they were trying to generate pressure, which makes some sense, but you do have to defend the goal line at all cost. There is no way that you favor pressure over all out prevent. The likely thought from FSU was that they are more athletic and gifted and that they can put pressure on JSU and make a play happen without having to worry too much about what ultimately happened.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I can't believe there were only two men back deep.

Speaking of coaching malpractice, I hope we see some from Stanford after what I saw in week one. With four minutes left they scored a TD to trail 24-6. Go for two to make it a potential two score game, no brainer. No, they went for one, making it a three score game, and followed that with an onside kick.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Basic rule of a game-ending situation like that in Tallahassee--always keep the opponents' players in front of you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic