Evolution: Every Helmet Ever Worn By Vandy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Re: Evolution: Every Helmet Ever Worn By Vandy

Post by Johnmn555 »

They pick it up in the late fifties. My favorites were the ones with the V on the crown and the back from the early to mid-fifties.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Just a minor... uh question. Why did we wear a question mark in '69?... and a red one a that?...?...?
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Oh, I remember. In light of the Vietnam war, the sexual revolution and rising drug culture, it was placed on there to “question authority.” ;)
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

The new version for 2021 needs to be added to the currently used helmets at the top.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 am Just a minor... uh question. Why did we wear a question mark in '69?... and a red one a that?...?...?
It's explained in the notes below the helmets:

In 1969 Vanderbilt used a version of the "100" college football centennial logo during at least two games (vs Alabama and Kentucky). I have very few photograph from this season and the extent to which these decals were used is unclear. In one photograph from the Alabama game the "100" logo is visible on both of the two Vanderbilt helmet left sides which are visible, while the star logo is present on the right side of a third helmet. A second photograph from the Alabama game shows the star logo on the right side of the only visible Vanderbilt helmet. A single photograph from the Kentucky game shows only the left side of one Vanderbilt helmet, on which the "100" logo is present. A black stripe also appears to be present on each of these helmets.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I despise the ones that simply say "Vandy." We are not Vandy, we are Vanderbilt.
Don't see Alabama helmets saying "Bama."
Don't see Auburn hats saying "Aubs."
Don't see UUT hats saying "Amalgamated Trash Workers."

Ours needs only the V or star V or spell it out.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:01 am Oh, I remember. In light of the Vietnam war, the sexual revolution and rising drug culture, it was placed on there to “question authority.” ;)
Creator of the site says as follows:

The other symbol, the one with the red question mark, denotes a helmet for which I do not have sufficient information to construct an accurate helmet image, and these are the ones for which I would appreciate some information from visitors to this web site so I can add these teams.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:19 am
Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:28 am Just a minor... uh question. Why did we wear a question mark in '69?... and a red one a that?...?...?
It's explained in the notes below the helmets:

In 1969 Vanderbilt used a version of the "100" college football centennial logo during at least two games (vs Alabama and Kentucky). I have very few photograph from this season and the extent to which these decals were used is unclear. In one photograph from the Alabama game the "100" logo is visible on both of the two Vanderbilt helmet left sides which are visible, while the star logo is present on the right side of a third helmet. A second photograph from the Alabama game shows the star logo on the right side of the only visible Vanderbilt helmet. A single photograph from the Kentucky game shows only the left side of one Vanderbilt helmet, on which the "100" logo is present. A black stripe also appears to be present on each of these helmets.
My review of the Tennessean archives (available for free on the Tennessee State Library & Archives website, https://tntel.info/resource/tennessean-1812-2002) indicates VU wore that same helmet (with the StarV on the right and the "100" inside a football outline on the left) throughout the 1969 season. And perusing the sports pages throughout that season indicates that many other teams also displayed the "100" on their helmets. Not all but many.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:27 am I despise the ones that simply say "Vandy." We are not Vandy, we are Vanderbilt.
Watson Brown used to complain about the term "Vandy" on his radio show... but usually was in the middle of a 1-10 season or about to get 56 points hung on his team by Wake Forest or 42 by Army. That made me feel like his schtick of being against the word "Vandy" accomplished less than his urging people to wear their "ugliest gold." I wanted to hear what his plan was to turn things around, not meaningless schtick.

As far as I'm concerned, our fans can say "Vandy" and wear any shade of gold they prefer as long as the team is competitive. I hope VU never has another coach like Watson Brown or Bryce Drew in my lifetime.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:05 pm
commadore wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:27 am I despise the ones that simply say "Vandy." We are not Vandy, we are Vanderbilt.
Watson Brown used to complain about the term "Vandy" on his radio show... but usually was in the middle of a 1-10 season or about to get 56 points hung on his team by Wake Forest or 42 by Army. That made me feel like his schtick of being against the word "Vandy" accomplished less than his urging people to wear their "ugliest gold." I wanted to hear what his plan was to turn things around, not meaningless schtick.

As far as I'm concerned, our fans can say "Vandy" and wear any shade of gold they prefer as long as the team is competitive. I hope VU never has another coach like Watson Brown or Bryce Drew in my lifetime.
Agreed there.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

So by that logic, I assume you object to the term 'Dores as well?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I don't really have a favorite and I am ok with almost all of them - but I really do not like '84-'85, '91-'98 and the 2019 "battleship" armored plate with the anchor.

Helmets from any school that incorporate American flag themes leave me cold. I'm not usually too engrossed in flag idolatry, but I kind of like to just keep it as a flag instead of being a corporate logo, a beer can design, or somebody's underpants. Check the Ole Miss flag ones for example (though I don't think the Vanderbilt ones are much better).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

JWCommodore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm
No. 'Dores is an abbreviation of the nickname. Vandy is not a nickname, but a bastardization of the University's name.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

commadore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:10 pm
No. 'Dores is an abbreviation of the nickname. Vandy is not a nickname, but a bastardization of the University's name.
Final question, do you not enjoy our fight song "Dynamite" ? Do you never sing along with it because it contains the "bastardization" of the University name? My guess is that the term has been around much longer than any of us have been alive.

Interesting take. I've never heard a Vanderbilt fan who so vehemently opposed the name "Vandy" To each his own....
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

JWCommodore wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:44 am
commadore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:10 pm

Final question, do you not enjoy our fight song "Dynamite" ? Do you never sing along with it because it contains the "bastardization" of the University name? My guess is that the term has been around much longer than any of us have been alive.

Interesting take. I've never heard a Vanderbilt fan who so vehemently opposed the name "Vandy" To each his own....
I have heard many.
Locked Previous topicNext topic