VU vs NCSU #2

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: VU vs NCSU #2

Post by geeznotagain »

The juggernaut defeats the wounded, diseased mouse. Could have been worse. The mouse could have infected us with an STD.

fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

baseball1234 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:44 pm Exhale.....have fun tomorrow guys....
Sadly I wouldn't call most of our cws games this year fun. We've got great pitching but not much else
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Murphy finishes it. Credit to him.

That was uncomfortable all the way.

But a win is a win. Credit to Kumar too. NC State is good. We made some plays. Just enough. CJ's pick-off might have been the biggest one. Vaz and Noland were really good.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Vanderbilt won but felt like it lost.

Maybe that's better than winning 14 to 1 as far as getting ready for the next game.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

OldDude wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:44 pm Happy VU won, but hard to say they played winning ball
Hey, there's no style points in baseball. My favorite team is still playing and that is exciting. Say what you want about this team, but they're 8-1 in the NCAA tournament. I, for one, am happy as hell!
Vufamily
Rear Admiral

Post by Vufamily »

Good win. We had all the pressure and it showed. But they gutted it out. Do we have enough for tomorrow. I don’t know. But one thing I do know is that we have made it to tomorrow. And it gives us a shot. We can’t do anything about the past. Inadequate offense or not, it’s in the past. Focus on the present and play hard, not apprehensive.
Last edited by Vufamily on Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Still seems like we watch too many strikes.....not aggressive. Our relief guys having a hard time throwing strikes. We skated by this game but will have to play a little better next game. A win is a win!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

historybill wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:49 pm Vanderbilt won but felt like it lost.

Maybe that's better than winning 14 to 1 as far as getting ready for the next game.
We keep waiting for these close wins to inspire the offense but it isn't happening. Gotta give them credit cuz it amazing we are somehow still alive. I just worry we've exhausted an already too thin pitching staff. Not sure how long they can hold down the fort.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

the announcers can go drown their sorrows for an hour....
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

roanoke wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:54 pm the announcers can go drown their sorrows for an hour....
or just drown themselves in the Missouri river forever.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Gonna take miraculous awakening of our bats to have any hope tomorrow. Can we? I say yes. Will we? Just don’t know.
Vufamily
Rear Admiral

Post by Vufamily »

Give NC State credit. They are a good team. Even with a depleted lineup, they still played well enough to win.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

historybill wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:49 pm Vanderbilt won but felt like it lost.

That's the truth. It really couldn't have gone much worse for Vanderbilt, except for winning the game.

1) Rocker over 100 pitches, so that may affect his availability/effectiveness on Wednesday, if we make it.
2) Murphy is completely unavailable for tomorrow.
3) NC State only used 2 pitchers. If they get players out of quarantine, they will have their entire bullpen with 5 days rest.

We have a chance to make it to the championship series, but the team can't be feeling good about themselves right now.
Vufamily
Rear Admiral

Post by Vufamily »

Perhaps we will see a more determined(pissed off) vandy team tomorrow
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

that was the least enjoyable dore victory i can ever remember...in any sport. ‘twas a combination of anxiety, disappointment and survival by the skin of our teeth. no fun...
12-1 win tomorrow would be a nice salve.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

Vufamily wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:08 pm Perhaps we will see a more determined(pissed off) vandy team tomorrow
Or a NCSU team that is motivated bc they think they have a good chance :)
@AD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

1. We have Leiter and Maldo available, + whoever, for tomorrow.
2. Who else remembers the old movie "The Mouse That Roared"? is that Vu or NCSU? Tomorrow will tell.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Seadog73 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:05 pm 1. We have Leiter and Maldo available, + whoever, for tomorrow.
2. Who else remembers the old movie "The Mouse That Roared"? is that Vu or NCSU? Tomorrow will tell.
Only Rocker & Murphy would not be available tomorrow. And if it came down to it, I would bet either or both could/would face one specific hitter.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Several of my friends here in the Montgomery area were watching and texting me the whole game. Finally one of them called and said, "Vanderbilt is so damn hard to watch. It is killing me." I said, "why do you think I am always in such a grumpy mood!"
Even if MSU gets no one back tomorrow, Highfill will be on the mound. He gave us a whole 2 hits in 7.1 last Monday. How will we win that?
We have to find a way to get the guys to get the dang bats off their shoulders and also quit swinging at the ones a foot and a half outside. Maybe if they swung at the ones OVER the plate they wouldn't have to swing at the ones way outside.
I don't see any way, the way we played today, that we win tomorrow.

Edit: Other than by forfeit, that is. :)
Last edited by commadore on Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Payne started the game with a 7.27 ERA, finished at 5.27 ... coach should not have left him in to start the sixth; that walk cost him his only earned run.

Feeney came in with an 11.48 ERA, pitched 4 shutout innings to get to 8.83.

Highfill, a starting pitcher with the DH rule in effect, had ZERO at bats entering the game. He is now batting .750 ... baserunning not his area of expertise.

The 6-9 batters plus pinch hitter Carnazzo entering the game were a combined 4-39 at the plate: .103
They went 4-14 (.286) in the game plus a walk, run and rbi.
Our entire team was 6-33 (.182).

That doesn't mean we can't win tomorrow. I believe our guys know what they did wrong and know what they must do to keep playing into next week.
Locked Previous topicNext topic