Lineup predictions for Friday?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Lineup predictions for Friday?

Post by Versus75 »

The TV guys keep saying that Rocker will pitch for Vanderbilt tomorrow and, if necessary, Leiter on Saturday.

I don't know that Corbin has made any such announcement, but Kumar will be rested and I believe he will go in our next game. Whether Leiter gets the ball on Saturday is a bit of a question, but that's probably correct also. You can't save him for the finals if we don't reach the finals.

For NC State, I predict Reid Johnston gets the nod on Friday. He has not been as good as Highfill of late, but is rested. Johnston has the most experience as well. Listed as a Junior, that is a Covid Junior because he has been a regular for 4 seasons now. If the Wolfpack loses Friday they would give Covid Freshman Highfill a second crack at us.

They are both righthanders, which leads to my next prediction: Spencer Jones at DH. Laneve has been off somewhat and Spencer is riding high from Wednesday's game. I say, put him in!

Is Kolwyck ready to play the field? I don't know. If so, either Gonzo or Noland is out and the decision may come down to Lefty-Righty. Gonzalez would be the odd man out.

Vaz has to stay in the game. With all the hoopla about his role in the ninth inning comeback, Vaz's diving catch earlier in the game did not get much mention. But he has become a critical piece to this team, much like Tyler Campbell in 2014.

And then we get to the batting order.

Corbin has tried different batters in the no. 2 hole but keeps going back to Carter Young. But I believe Vaz is the perfect player for that role. Comparing the two:

................ AVG ... OBP ... SLG .. SH .. K%/PA
Javier Vaz .... .276 .. .432 .. .345 ... 2 .. 10.25
Carter Young .. .259 .. .346 .. .585 ... 3 .. 30.42

Young has more power and I give him credit for taking two pitches in the ninth inning Wednesday. But Vaz gets on base more, is a better bunter and -- most important -- he rarely strikes out. That last stat is critical to a no. 2 batter behind the speedster Bradfield. Get Bradfield on base. Take some pitches while Bradfield steals. Get on base. And set up our RBI men.

My prediction:

CF - Bradfield (L)
LF - Vaz (L)
1B - Keegan (R)
DH - Jones (L)
RF - Thomas (R)
SS - Young (S)
2B - Kolwyck (R)
3B - Noland (L)
C -- Rodriguez (R)

What do you say?

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Lineup predictions for Friday?

Post by dallasdore »

I doubt Corbs is changing the batting order at this point, certainly not significantly. Now, the pinch hitting roles may change and come earlier in the game, but that's it.

But I could always be wrong.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I, too, have been thinking Vaz would be a good #2 hitter. But, I doubt Coach will make that change this season.

Word in ACC country is that NC State will stick with their rotation - meaning they will throw their #3 starter today. #1 tomorrow if necessary. There is a drop in stats here - but I understand keeping arms fresh at this stage - especially with the extra game in hand.

I do think Rocker should be ready today - he has pitched on five day rest and he did not throw 120 pitches Saturday. Starting Rocker today would also leave him available for Wednesday, if necessary. I don’t think we see Leiter until the Finals, if we get there. He threw too many pitches on Monday to pop back on short rest.

The pen will be very important the rest of the way - days off for rest are over. It would be nice if Rocker could go deep in this one.

I suspect we don’t see changes in the lineup - tempting as it may be. LaNeve is getting a heavy dose of curveballs now - but Jones is still probably more valuable as a pinch hitter? Kolwyck is interesting... if he is ready, I could see him going in - but after our fielding implosion the other day, I wouldn’t be shocked if we didn’t change anything as a weird sort of vote of confidence. Gonzalez is an interesting call here - as he had a bobble, but also made two nice run-saving plays at third. He is getting a heavy dose of off-speed pitches too. I think he offers some pop - but we need contact behind Vaz, too. Vaz has become almost a second lead-off hitter at the bottom of the lineup. He did a nice job getting on base - HBP and walk last outing.

We received only two walks on Wednesday. Both scored.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Willadsen, NC State likely starter today is a righty.

5-3. 4.73 ERA. Gave up a fair number of extra base hits. 20 doubles. 12 homers.

Pitched real well in Fayetteville in the deciding game.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

roanoke wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:18 am I do think Rocker should be ready today - he has pitched on five day rest and he did not throw 120 pitches Saturday. Starting Rocker today would also leave him available for Wednesday, if necessary. I don’t think we see Leiter until the Finals, if we get there. He threw too many pitches on Monday to pop back on short rest.
I agree with this. We have had a number of times this year when Rocker was moved up a day due to Thursday night games, so he should be able to handle it. He also only had around 100 pitches in his last game. I don't think you want to bring back Leiter on two fewer days after throwing over 120 pitches. How effective will he be, and you might lose him for the entire Championship series. If he pitches on Monday (if we make it), it will be his normal schedule. Just hope that Reilly, Shultz and the rest of the bullpen can take care of Saturday if we make it. I just hope the end of the Stanford game is an indication the bats are going to wake up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic