OT “Tampa” Raptors tix & nba boxscores

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

OT “Tampa” Raptors tix & nba boxscores

Post by mtnvandy »

Gents et al,

I have only been to one nba game eva ( mugsy b v mj at Chicago circa 1990)...,

But Raptors are in Tampa for the season so thinking of catching Wiz game Thurs

Cpl Qs for nba experts:
1. Where do they list attendances? Curious how tiny Tampa crowds have been last cpl games?
2. What is SOP at most nba venues re moving to better/empty seats in 2d half?

MtnVandy

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT “Tampa” Raptors tix & nba boxscores

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

mtnvandy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:29 pm Gents et al,

I have only been to one nba game eva ( mugsy b v mj at Chicago circa 1990)...,

But Raptors are in Tampa for the season so thinking of catching Wiz game Thurs

Cpl Qs for nba experts:
1. Where do they list attendances? Curious how tiny Tampa crowds have been last cpl games?
2. What is SOP at most nba venues re moving to better/empty seats in 2d half?

MtnVandy
1. You can find the attendance for any game in most box scores. For example, go to ESPN.com, click on the score and look for the Team Stats tab. The announced attendance will be on the left hand side of the page.

2. I doubt any NBA venue is allowing fans to move to better seats right now due to COVID precautions.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Thanks, Auric.

Thought abt the covid effect on seat swaps.

Fwiw, @ the last Outback Bowl, by the 3d Q, there didnt seems to be any motivation to police ppl moving from one empty section to another.

Box scores- still struggling with raptors recent home attendance #s. Perhaps not iphone ( old) friendly program.

#omaha21
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 am Thanks, Auric.

Thought abt the covid effect on seat swaps.

Fwiw, @ the last Outback Bowl, by the 3d Q, there didnt seems to be any motivation to police ppl moving from one empty section to another.

Box scores- still struggling with raptors recent home attendance #s. Perhaps not iphone ( old) friendly program.

#omaha21
ESPN lists average home attendance for all teams here: http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance In case you can't follow that link (not sure whether it's behind the pay wall or not), Toronto's average home attendance this year is 2,756 per game.
mtnvandy
Captain

Thanks AURIC & 2 Saints

Post by mtnvandy »

Will post a post game review of my 2d nba experience.
Dancing girls r still no go, Im afraid.

#omaha21
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

Wiz won in OT.
Crowd of maybe 2k in 21 k arena.
Masks reqd & enforced by roaming ushers.

We tried to move to lower bowl. Ejected twice. The midlevel seats were not being monitored, at least in OT.

Pascal Siakim played well. Seems like a good kid.

Russell Westbrooks had a triple dbl but his 12 or so points was unimpressive. Tried numerous treys that missed. After he fouled out, he did nothing to encourage teammates. Didnt even join huddles in timeouts. NOT IMPRESSED.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:08 am
Pascal Siakim [sic] played well. Seems like a good kid.
He played well alright. 44 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists.

Just to be sure, that is the Siakam that Stallings didn't bother to recruit, right? (asking for a friend)
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

mtnvandy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:08 am Wiz won in OT.
Crowd of maybe 2k in 21 k arena.
Masks reqd & enforced by roaming ushers.

We tried to move to lower bowl. Ejected twice. The midlevel seats were not being monitored, at least in OT.

Pascal Siakam played well. Seems like a good kid.

Russell Westbrook had a triple dbl but his 12 or so points was unimpressive. Tried numerous treys that missed. After he fouled out, he did nothing to encourage teammates. Didn't even join huddles in timeouts. NOT IMPRESSED.
Interesting commentary on the NBA, MT, especially regarding Westbrook after he fouled out. Could be that the $38 million per year doesn't cover time on the bench.

Obviously, Westbrook is a tremendous athlete. He has led the league in scoring twice, in assists three times and he gets an awful lot of rebounds for a 6-foot-3 guy.

(Does the NBA style of play have something to do with the number of Defensive Rebounds for Westbrook? Only one of his 17 boards versus the Raptors was offensive. Perhaps because he is going to be the ball handler his teammates run down court and let Westbrook take the rebound.)

I REALLY do not like the emphasis on Triple Doubles. I would take Siakam's 44/11/7 over Westbrook's 13/17/17. Also, Westbrook missed 16 shots while scoring 13 points. Siakam missed only 12 shots while scoring 44.

Clyde Drexler once (Jan. 10, 1986) came within one rebound of a Quadruple Double (26 pts, 9 reb, 11 assists, 10 steals).

Hakeem Olajuwon DID have at least one Quadruple Double (March 29, 1990) with 18 pts, 16 reb, 10 assists, 11 blocks.

Those were great accomplishments. I didn't look for more. There have probably been some other examples.

That being said, it should be noted that with another Triple Double in his next game Russell Westbrook tied Oscar Robertson for the career regular season record at 181. The dubious record will likely be broken soon. Robertson averaged a Triple Double in his second season. I didn't think anyone else would do that, but I was wrong.

Career Triple Double Leaders: https://www.basketball-reference.com/le ... areer.html

The Big O: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... ros01.html

A couple other notes: The official attendance for that game was 2,494.

I don't know if Stallings recruited Pascal Siakam, but we had older brother James for five years. I'm sure he would have told coach about his sibling.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I think people severely undersell Westbrook's triple double accomplishments. He is a 6'3 guy who grabs tons of rebounds. He doesn't usually score 13 points. He scores much more than that in addition to grabbing lots of boards and getting teammates involved. Triple doubles used to be impressive and he has made it completely commonplace. Sure, pace of play has something to do with it, but no one else is doing it like he is. Lebron, in my opinion, is the all-time great, but he isn't anywhere near the triple double guy Westbrook is because he only gets around 8 rebounds a game and he is 6'8.

A legitimate knock on Westbrook is his shot selection, and I think that has prevented him from winning a title because it caused his breakup with Durant (because Durant has a fragile ego). But as far as impact on the game, the guy is just otherworldly in my opinion.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

One of the most underrated bigs in pro ball is Jonas Valančiūnas who had an impressive sting of double-doubles this season. His average of 17 points and 12 rebounds a game in only 27 minutes a game and only taking 11 shots per game is pretty darn good. He doesn't take a ton of threes but is hitting around 35% from deep - good for a 7-footer. And the much older Marc Gasol who they traded for him? Currently averaging 5 points and 4 rebounds per game. I'd say Memphis got the better of that deal at this point.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:45 pm One of the most underrated bigs in pro ball is Jonas Valančiūnas who had an impressive sting of double-doubles this season. His average of 17 points and 12 rebounds a game in only 27 minutes a game and only taking 11 shots per game is pretty darn good. He doesn't take a ton of threes but is hitting around 35% from deep - good for a 7-footer. And the much older Marc Gasol who they traded for him? Currently averaging 5 points and 4 rebounds per game. I'd say Memphis got the better of that deal at this point.
I think Toronto’s pretty happy with their championship banner, which they would not have big Marc.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ibaka was much more impressive off the bench for Raptors in the NBA championship series than Gasol was starting.

Kawhi Leonard was named Finals MVP

Kawhi Leonard and Pascal Siakam combined to score 1,187 points that postseason, tied with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen for second-most by teammates in a single playoffs in NBA history.

The Raptors finished with a 37-20 edge in bench points in series winning Game 6, with Fred VanVleet (22) and Serge Ibaka (15) leading the way. VanVleet single-handedly outscored the entire Warriors bench, 22-20.

Toronto would have been even better off with Valančiūnas who is in the prime of his career. Glad the trade turned out good for Memphis because some of their trades and free agent signings certainly ended up busts, recently Justise Winslow is one. Chandler Parsons certainly ended up an expensive mistake.

But Toronto didn't win the NBA "because of" Marc Gasol. But I do like both Gasol brothers.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:46 pm Ibaka was much more impressive off the bench for Raptors in the NBA championship series than Gasol was starting.

Kawhi Leonard was named Finals MVP

Kawhi Leonard and Pascal Siakam combined to score 1,187 points that postseason, tied with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen for second-most by teammates in a single playoffs in NBA history.

The Raptors finished with a 37-20 edge in bench points in series winning Game 6, with Fred VanVleet (22) and Serge Ibaka (15) leading the way. VanVleet single-handedly outscored the entire Warriors bench, 22-20.

Toronto would have been even better off with Valančiūnas who is in the prime of his career. Glad the trade turned out good for Memphis because some of their trades and free agent signings certainly ended up busts, recently Justise Winslow is one. Chandler Parsons certainly ended up an expensive mistake.

But Toronto didn't win the NBA "because of" Marc Gasol. But I do like both Gasol brothers.
[Sorry everybody for the long off-topic discussion, everybody...]

First of all, I'm not sure whom you're quoting, because I didn't write that "because of". I did have a typo, however, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I watched all those games and, as a San Antonio fan who still likes Leonard even after the trade that he forced, I'm well aware who their best player was. But Gasol was one of the keys to their success, in several respects. First, he was a much better defensive player than Valanciunas (whom I also really like) was at that time. Gasol's defense against Eastern Conference big men in particular, especially Joel Embiid, was indispensable to Toronto's title. He held Embiid to 33% shooting in game 7 against Philadelphia, which was huge. Second, Gasol was important to the success of Leonard and Siakam (and Lowry) on offense, too. He shot 38% from 3 in those playoffs and, at his size, only true bigs like Embiid or Lopez could stop him from raining fire from out there (similar to Lopez, really). So his gravity allowed smaller players the room to operate inside. By contrast, Valunciunas does all his damage inside. That's nice, and very efficient, but it doesn't work as well against teams with huge rim-protecting bigs like Embiid and Lopez. And playing inside would have allowed them to protect the paint against the rest of Toronto's team. And against Golden State... Well Valanciunas wouldn't have helped much against the "Hampton Five" lineup either.

Anyway, I never said they won the NBA title "because of Marc Gasol". What I meant to say was that they would not have won the championship without him. That's different. The same is also true of Kyle Lowry and obviously Kawhi Leonard and Pascal Siakam. Take any of those four away and Toronto would never have made the finals, much less won them. More to the point, everyone in Toronto agrees. Show me a single quote from a single important member of that team or its staff that expresses regret over making that trade. Just one.

Championships are forever. Toronto has one, partly as a result of that trade. The only NBA figure that I can think of that wouldn't take that is Donald Sterling.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jonas can't shoot jump shots? He hit 37% from three this season.

That is higher than:
James Harden
Tyler Herro
Kemba Walker
LaMelo Ball
LUKA DONCIC
BRAD BEAL
Trae Young
Devin Booker
Anthony Edwards
John Wall
Russell Westbrook
Ja Morant

** none of whom are 6-11 and 280
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

You guys are arguing past each other to a certain degree. Saints is correct that Gasol provided things in 2019 than Valanciunas would not have, and the result was a Raptor's title. MM is correct that the trade worked out for Memphis long term since Gasol was not going to be an integral part of a good Memphis team and could take a younger, developing player that could be a key piece to the rebuild, though Saints didn't insinuate this wasn't the case, so I'm not sure why the point needs to continue to be brought up, as it is obvious.

As for 3 point percentage, it is true that Jonas shot well this year from a percentage standpoint, but in 2019, it was clearly not an integral part of his game, as he was just 14-48 (29%) from three over 49 games, or 1 attempt per game and 1 make about every 3 or 4 games on average. Gasol shot 12-29 in the East Conference finals in a six game series against Milwaukee, or almost as many makes as Jonas had for the entire season! Even this year Jonas attempted fewer than 1 three per game, so while his accuracy has improved, Saints is correct that it isn't a big part of his game (he took over 11 2 pt attempts per game).

It is possible for the trade to have been mutually beneficial to two teams with completely different goals and windows - there doesn't necessarily have to be a "winner" or "loser" in the trade and even thought it has worked out very well for Memphis doesn't mean that they somehow fleeced Toronto.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I was just looking at the box scores from last nights NBA games.

Gasol: Did not play (not injured, coaching decision)
Jonas: 23 points / 23 rebounds / 3 blocked shots (a +26 in the +/- stat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzVbRmrc9-Q
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 am I was just looking at the box scores from last nights NBA games.

Gasol: Did not play (not injured, coaching decision)
Jonas: 23 points / 23 rebounds / 3 blocked shots (a +26 in the +/- stat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzVbRmrc9-Q
Again, you’re missing the point, so here it is in mathematical form:

1 title banner > 0 title banners
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Again, you’re missing the point, so here it is in mathematical form:

23 points / 23 rebounds / 3 blocked shots (a +26 in the +/- stat) > DNP (healthy scratch)
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:40 pm Again, you’re missing the point, so here it is in mathematical form:

23 points / 23 rebounds / 3 blocked shots (a +26 in the +/- stat) > DNP (healthy scratch)
Glad to have you back!
Locked Previous topicNext topic