New Recruit

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

nyyankeeDore
Captain

New Recruit

Post by nyyankeeDore »

From Vandy 247:

Vanderbilt will go small with its 13th and final scholarship for the 2021-22 season. On Wednesday night, the Commodores landed a commitment from 4-star shooting guard Shane Dezonie out of Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy, one of the top high school basketball programs among New England prep schools. Dezonie originally signed with Arizona in November but decommitted on April 27 after the Wildcats fired coach Sean Miller. With Dezonie's commitment, Vanderbilt rose from No. 62 in the 247Sports Composite team rankings for 2021 to No. 33.

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound off guard will play on the wing for Vanderbilt and could see significant minutes early in his career. Sophomore shooting guard Tyrin Lawrence's status for the start of the season is in doubt after he tore his ACL in January, and the Commodores need a replacement in their rotation behind Dayton grad transfer Rodney Chatman. Dezonie is considered a fairly well-rounded guard offensively who brings significant defensive upside.

Dezonie effectively fills the scholarship vacated by Dylan Disu, who transferred to Texas. Vanderbilt pursued multiple veteran transfers, such as Minnesota's Brandon Johnson, as potential starters at power forward but instead will go small for 2021-22. TCU transfer Terren Frank, sophomore Myles Stute and junior Jordan Wright are all candidates to start at power forward barring further roster moves.

Scotty Pippen Jr. has entered the 2021 NBA Draft without an agent. If he withdraws and returns to Vanderbilt, the Commodores will not have room for another addition unless one more player transfers out of the program. If Pippen stays in the draft or returns to college but transfers elsewhere, then Vanderbilt will have one more scholarship to work with.

'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Recruit

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

This is a bigtime pickup.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Sounds good. It will be great having a guard who is a good shooter. Hopefully, he will be a consistently good shooter.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Great news
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

This is good news, and has implications on the rotation and starting lineup, assuming that Dezonie is able to be a part of the rotation (which early indications suggest that this is likely)
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

One set of clips I saw he reminded me a bit of Anthony Edwards. Not saying he's Edwards (candidate for all sorts of NBA honors already) but being able to mention the two in the same sentence is good.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

He is starting to get his type players- Drown out the noise coach and do your thing! We will never know if he underestimated the difficulty of this job but I do feel confident in saying most people are underestimating his focus and drive to excel.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:33 am One set of clips I saw he reminded me a bit of Anthony Edwards. Not saying he's Edwards (candidate for all sorts of NBA honors already) but being able to mention the two in the same sentence is good.
Anthony Edwards? Cool. God, he loved flying with Maverick...
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

TwoSaints wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 am
MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:33 am One set of clips I saw he reminded me a bit of Anthony Edwards. Not saying he's Edwards (candidate for all sorts of NBA honors already) but being able to mention the two in the same sentence is good.
Until he had to be taken to the ER
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I'm very impressed with the recruiting results on paper lately from our staff. No one can argue that coach is not hustling. The question will be whether he can build a sturdy team out of the pieces.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

TwoSaints wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 am
He's not with the Mavericks. He was drafted by Minnesota.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

247 had this young man, 8/8 analysts going to Arizona, decommitted after coaching change. He has a .96 rating where .99 is the highest
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Between this year and next with dort and the other dood, this is looking like it has potential for 3-4 years of interesting basketball. Granted every single player on the roster will transfer or go pro after their first year here, but that's basketball these days. Smh
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I haven't seen him shoot threes, but his body control and body shape remind me of Mario Moore. Just very instinctive with the ball. Everything I'm not.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

buffy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 am I haven't seen him shoot threes, but his body control and body shape remind me of Mario Moore. Just very instinctive with the ball. Everything I'm not.
I’ll gladly take a taller Mario Moore. Especially if he has Moore’s moxie.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Unreliable memory sucks. Was Mario the player that took about four steps without dribbling and no whistle?

I want a guy with those skills!!
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

dcdore wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:41 am Unreliable memory sucks. Was Mario the player that took about four steps without dribbling and no whistle?

Yep.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

dcdore wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:41 am Unreliable memory sucks. Was Mario the player that took about four steps without dribbling and no whistle?

That is the same player - very undersized, but crafty and fearless. Had two great performances in the 1st two rounds of the 2004 tournament that had Gus Johnson calling him "super mario". Really good junior season but struggled senior year (I think I recall some sort of injury/suspension), which led to the disappointment of the 2006 season. Of course the major difference between 2006 and 2007 was that we won a number of close games in 2007 that we lost the previous season. A 3 game swing take the record from 16-11 going into the SEC tournament to 19-8 which is quite similar to the 20-10 record for the 2007 team. From an efficiency standpoint the two teams are quite similar.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Love these comparisons but what I see is part Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy, Ernie Grunfield, Wes Unseld with just a hint of Darrell Dulaney/Malik Evans during non-SEC competition. Gonna be a good one. 8-)
Locked Previous topicNext topic