D1: "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

D1: "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

Post by Good2BGold »

Interesting piece by Kendall Rogers for D1 Baseball about the proposed new model for college baseball that primarily involves changing when the season begins and ends.

Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’

commadore
Admiral

Re: D1: "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

Post by commadore »

You just beat me to this. Sounds good to me.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: D1: "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

Post by Good2BGold »

commadore wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:49 pm You just beat me to this. Sounds good to me.
At first glance, it sounds good to me, as well. It obviously will help northern teams who often spend the first part of the season on the road in the South and West.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: "Northerners want to stick it to the Southerners" report

Post by Versus75 »

I'm not going to read all 35 pages. I can tell from this synopsis that it's essentially the Yankees whining over it being too cold up there. I'm from New Jersey in the North, attended Vanderbilt in the South, and for 40 years have been living in Kentucky -- a border state. You don't hear me complaining.

If you can't stand the cold, get out of the snow my friend.

A couple serious points:

1. I hear all this talk about how administrators don't want college football to be played if students are not on campus. Are those same administrators being mum about half of the baseball season being played after the spring semester ends?

2. There is no requirement that every team play 56 games. Many do not anyway for one reason or another. The Big 10-14 teams can start play in March if they wish. THAT would lessen travel costs. And the student-athletes wouldn't miss as many classes. It can be a selling point.

3. IF the regular season is to start two weeks later, I suggest simply making the season two weeks shorter. Play 50 games and end at the same time as we do now in a non-virus year. That's still a lot of games and the schedule doesn't mess with students on campus, summer leagues, short-season minor leagues or 4th of July cookouts back home.

4. We will have inclement weather whenever the season starts. Okay, it's often cold and sometimes snowy in February. Then March, April and May sometimes (oftimes) have rain or tornados. Look at Bakich's Michigan schedule for 2019:
https://d1baseball.com/team/michigan/2019/
FIVE Big 10-14 games postponed or moved due to inclement weather.

How about this proposal? Play all games in Camelot!

5. I will use the Vanderbilt attendance figures to point out what these people should REALLY do. Get a better coach, a better team, a better marketing department (well, I can't say much for ours either) and FIGURE OUT HOW TO SELL MORE SEASON TICKETS!

The first chart shows PAID attendance. Vanderbilt did not have 2,732 butts in the seats for February 2019 games. We didn't even have 2,732 cheeks in the seats. What we did have was a lot of season ticket sales to prop up the numbers. That's why the increase from February to the five home games in May was not as great as it was for other schools. Paid attendance was probably over 2,000 even if nobody showed up.

Louisville has a fine team, an excellent coach and one potty-mouthed starting pitcher. Why couldn't Louisville sell more than 630 season tickets? UCLA had the no.1 ranked team in the country for most of the season and probably the no. 1 ranked weather, yet it couldn't average 2,000 fans for its eight home playoff games in 2019. Nothing is going to help some of these teams.

6. You don't have to be situated in fair weather territory to have a good team. Oregon State didn't play a single home game in February 2018 and won the whole shootin' match in Omaha a few months later.

Just work on improving your team and selling more tickets. And stop whining! The rest will fall into place.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 pm I'm not going to read all 35 pages. I can tell from this synopsis that it's essentially the Yankees whining over it being too cold up there. I'm from New Jersey in the North, attended Vanderbilt in the South, and for 40 years have been living in Kentucky -- a border state. You don't hear me complaining.

If you can't stand the cold, get out of the snow my friend.

A couple serious points:

1. I hear all this talk about how administrators don't want college football to be played if students are not on campus. Are those same administrators being mum about half of the baseball season being played after the spring semester ends?

2. There is no requirement that every team play 56 games. Many do not anyway for one reason or another. The Big 10-14 teams can start play in March if they wish. THAT would lessen travel costs. And the student-athletes wouldn't miss as many classes. It can be a selling point.

3. IF the regular season is to start two weeks later, I suggest simply making the season two weeks shorter. Play 50 games and end at the same time as we do now in a non-virus year. That's still a lot of games and the schedule doesn't mess with students on campus, summer leagues, short-season minor leagues or 4th of July cookouts back home.

4. We will have inclement weather whenever the season starts. Okay, it's often cold and sometimes snowy in February. Then March, April and May sometimes (oftimes) have rain or tornados. Look at Bakich's Michigan schedule for 2019:
https://d1baseball.com/team/michigan/2019/
FIVE Big 10-14 games postponed or moved due to inclement weather.

How about this proposal? Play all games in Camelot!

5. I will use the Vanderbilt attendance figures to point out what these people should REALLY do. Get a better coach, a better team, a better marketing department (well, I can't say much for ours either) and FIGURE OUT HOW TO SELL MORE SEASON TICKETS!

The first chart shows PAID attendance. Vanderbilt did not have 2,732 butts in the seats for February 2019 games. We didn't even have 2,732 cheeks in the seats. What we did have was a lot of season ticket sales to prop up the numbers. That's why the increase from February to the five home games in May was not as great as it was for other schools. Paid attendance was probably over 2,000 even if nobody showed up.

Louisville has a fine team, an excellent coach and one potty-mouthed starting pitcher. Why couldn't Louisville sell more than 630 season tickets? UCLA had the no.1 ranked team in the country for most of the season and probably the no. 1 ranked weather, yet it couldn't average 2,000 fans for its eight home playoff games in 2019. Nothing is going to help some of these teams.

6. You don't have to be situated in fair weather territory to have a good team. Oregon State didn't play a single home game in February 2018 and won the whole shootin' match in Omaha a few months later.

Just work on improving your team and selling more tickets. And stop whining! The rest will fall into place.
According to one of the pieces I read about this, Corbs supports this proposal.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Good2BGold wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 am According to one of the pieces I read about this, Corbs supports this proposal.
That will always be enough for me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic