OT- The “Th” word, W. Va GBB, & The Gov

Insider forum for fans of Vanderbilt football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball. Signup for access here https://www.14powers.com/signup-for-membership/ If you are a premium member and are having trouble accessing this board please email donyates@vandymania.com Include your username in the email.
mtnvandy
Captain

OT- The “Th” word, W. Va GBB, & The Gov

Post by mtnvandy »

Headline Story on Yahoo this a.m.
I think I am siding w/ Coach/Gov.
Discuss.

https://sports.yahoo.com/west-virginia- ... 34887.html

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT- The “Th” word, W. Va GBB, & The Gov

Post by cjdore »

I know I am.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

mtnvandy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 am Headline Story on Yahoo this a.m.
I think I am siding w/ Coach/Gov.
Discuss.

https://sports.yahoo.com/west-virginia- ... 34887.html
It's unclear to me what you are siding with the governor on: his use of the word "thug"?
Versus75
Admiral

Apparently “Thug” is not a curse word ...

Post by Versus75 »

... or you and I would be banned, G2BG, and the FCC would be all over yahoo sports like white on rice. Can I say that?

John Schnatter lost the company he founded — Papa John’s — simply by using the actual N-word to say that Colonel Sanders often used the N-word.

And if the Gov’s description of the events is accurate, I would agree that the coaches and some of the players on that team are thugs.

It has NOTHING to do with race.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Flat out, I think that a lot of white people think the word "thug" means "a violent bully" and a lot of black people think the word "thug" means "an inner city black person that others make assumptions about because of how they look and dress".

I don't think this guy needs to be fired or anything, but we're at the point where people need to think carefully before using that word. It is not perceived as the generic insult that many intend it as.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Now there you go being reasonable again
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

mathguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:24 am Flat out, I think that a lot of white people think the word "thug" means "a violent bully" and a lot of black people think the word "thug" means "an inner city black person that others make assumptions about because of how they look and dress".

I don't think this guy needs to be fired or anything, but we're at the point where people need to think carefully before using that word. It is not perceived as the generic insult that many intend it as.

Am I wrong in assuming that white, heterosexual, males have to be more careful in their speech and actions than any other group when it comes to avoid "offending" someone?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 am
mathguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:24 am Flat out, I think that a lot of white people think the word "thug" means "a violent bully" and a lot of black people think the word "thug" means "an inner city black person that others make assumptions about because of how they look and dress".

Am I wrong in assuming that white, heterosexual, males have to be more careful in their speech and actions than any other group when it comes to avoid "offending" someone?
Not wrong. It's the curse of privilege. Small price to pay.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

mathguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Ah! The ubquitous "privilege" argument. One of my favorites.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

Let me know when white hetero xtian males had 6.5 million of them slaughtered in an "ethnic cleansing" or when they were slaves on this continent for 246 years followed by 100 years of persecution. I promise that when you can do that, I will feel sorry for them so they can validate their little persecution complex.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

So what about the Holocaust? So tired of people being offended bu this then that! If it walks like a thug, thugs like a thug it must be a thug. Let's use hooligans...oh wait....how about ruffians? Just use criminal for criminal acts. How about a hood? Those were white teens in leather jackets with collars up that rumbled a lot! If you don't want to be called on don't act like one!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 pm
mathguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:47 pm
Ah! The ubquitous "privilege" argument. One of my favorites.
It can be taken too far, but its not wrong. The more likely a person is to be stereotyped negatively, the more important it is not to reinforce the stereotypes.

When I get stereotyped people think I'm a mild mannered, financially stable nerd. I can live with that.

Other people get stereotyped a potentially dangerous criminals or lazy slobs with anger management problems. That's a little bit of a rougher way to go through life.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 pm So what about the Holocaust? So tired of people being offended bu this then that! If it walks like a thug, thugs like a thug it must be a thug. Let's use hooligans...oh wait....how about ruffians? Just use criminal for criminal acts. How about a hood? Those were white teens in leather jackets with collars up that rumbled a lot! If you don't want to be called on don't act like one!
The point is not that those basketball players can't be criticized. The point is that when you say thug you mean "they acted like bullies and jerks" and when some people hear thug, they take the meaning "they acted like a black criminal".

So why is it a problem to instead say "those players acted violent bullies, and there's no place for people who act like that" ... or, you suggested criminal? "they acted violently in criminal ways" ... and suddenly they are still criticized, but without the racial overtones.

I'm not worried about the fighting players being offended ... but its appropriate to avoid language that is rarely (if ever) applied to white people acting the same way.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

This won't be a popular statement-- But remember how "gangsta rap" was created and popularized? And often still is celebrated? the "bad ass" lifestyle of the ghetto. Violent, profane, misogynistic, in your face stuff.

Well part of the results of creating that persona is fear, distrust, and expectations of wanton violence from
the rest of society.

It is very disingenuous for the black community to be up in arms about reactions to this persona which they created for themselves.

Not much different from those driving around with a Confederate flag streaming from their trucks. If you create
a persona, don't be upset when you get the reaction you wanted.

I guess this all needs to go to the Coffee Shop if that still exists.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

jpmando wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:23 am This won't be a popular statement-- But remember how "gangsta rap" was created and popularized? And often still is celebrated? the "bad ass" lifestyle of the ghetto. Violent, profane, misogynistic, in your face stuff.

But remember how Ted Nugent was created and popularized? Violent, profane, misogynistic stuff.

And if you have a hit song with gratuitous violence ("I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die") you might just have a museum dedicated to you right here in Nashville.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Sure it is the whole machismo thing.

But now we are seeing it unrestrained, in every walk of life. And the random shootings? Unbelievable.

And other than lip service-who is really trying to lead a change in behavior? Our leaders? Our coaches? The so-called adults in the room?

Nah. Who then?
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

jpmando wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:25 am Sure it is the whole machismo thing.

But now we are seeing it unrestrained, in every walk of life. And the random shootings? Unbelievable.

And other than lip service-who is really trying to lead a change in behavior? Our leaders? Our coaches? The so-called adults in the room?

Nah. Who then?
If anybody comments on conduct, they are told by the so-called "libertarians" everywhere to "mind their own business" and stop trying to "cram the nanny state down their throat" and stop being a "social justice warrior" and "stop demanding PC" etc.etc.etc.

I've seen web forums where people acted like smoking was actually healthy and if you didn't agree "stop attacking them and mind your own business." Just as you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink, you can try to lead a horse's a55 to decent conduct and there is a good chance they won't go for it.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

jpmando wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:23 am This won't be a popular statement-- But remember how "gangsta rap" was created and popularized? And often still is celebrated? the "bad ass" lifestyle of the ghetto. Violent, profane, misogynistic, in your face stuff.

Well part of the results of creating that persona is fear, distrust, and expectations of wanton violence from
the rest of society.

It is very disingenuous for the black community to be up in arms about reactions to this persona which they created for themselves.

Not much different from those driving around with a Confederate flag streaming from their trucks. If you create
a persona, don't be upset when you get the reaction you wanted.

I guess this all needs to go to the Coffee Shop if that still exists.
I don't think you are entirely wrong here ... but do remember. How many african americans are living in this country? How many of them are famous gangster rappers?

There are always people that will choose to promote/propogate/profit from anything. That isn't entirely the same as the community creating the persona for themselves.

But I agree ... it doesn't help.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

EllistonVU wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:15 am
If anybody comments on conduct, they are told by the so-called "libertarians" everywhere to "mind their own business" and stop trying to "cram the nanny state down their throat" and stop being a "social justice warrior" and "stop demanding PC" etc.etc.etc.

All 8 of them?
Dsdore
Ensign

Post by Dsdore »

EllistonVU wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Let me know when white hetero xtian males had 6.5 million of them slaughtered in an "ethnic cleansing" or when they were slaves on this continent for 246 years followed by 100 years of persecution. I promise that when you can do that, I will feel sorry for them so they can validate their little persecution complex.
Ever heard of Stalin?
Locked Previous topicNext topic