Projected starters

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Projected starters

Post by GooseJones15 »

Looks like 1st base is between Jones , Keegan, and Mallory. 2nd base Ray. Shortstop Young ,Martin. 3rd base gonzo. Catcher Duvall. Outfield Cooper Martin Thomas Hogan.

PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Re: Projected starters

Post by PinkFloyd »

The lineup in Feb wont be the lineup in Omaha.... yes I am predicting another run.... All depends on Georgia, Florida, Miss St and Ole Miss.

Best lineup right now.

SP Rocker
C Duvall
1st Jones
2nd Kolwyck
3rd Gonzo
SS Young
RF Thomas
CF Martin
LF Duff
DH Keegan
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Corbs respects the senior classes, so I wouldn't count on seeing Harrison and Coop displaced so easily. He stuck with Julian and Ro Coleman through some ups and downs.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

It's hard to imagine a healthy Cooper Davis not starting CF.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

if a healthy Cooper Davis is not i the lineup, then we will be totally stocked in the outfield, because that kid can play.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

We'll see bout Cooper, his bat needs to be much much better.... outfield play was terrible this fall

and there in lies the biggest problem Corbs has, too much loyalty to jr's and sr's that cannot play..... you'll be lucky to see Ray hit his weight....

BTW, that's the best lineup.... maybe you can make arguments for the sr leadership stuff.... but without a Scott, Clarke and Bleday.. you cannot afford too many strikeouts from sr's
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

We'll see bout Cooper, his bat needs to be much much better.... outfield play was terrible this fall

and there in lies the biggest problem Corbs has, too much loyalty to jr's and sr's that cannot play..... you'll be lucky to see Ray hit his weight....

BTW, that's the best lineup.... maybe you can make arguments for the sr leadership stuff.... but without a Scott, Clarke and Bleday.. you cannot afford too many strikeouts from sr's
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

PinkFloyd wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:57 pm We'll see bout Cooper, his bat needs to be much much better.... outfield play was terrible this fall

I don't know about fall ball, but last season Cooper Davis hit .331 with an on base percentage of .441 in 35 games, 31 as a starter, and his fielding percentage in those games was 1.000. So while it would be great for him to do better those look like starter numbers to me.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

he might get the starting nod, but last year is last year. my opinion hasnt been the same since he got hurt. nothing against Davis, if he can do it great, Ray is different story.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 pm he might get the starting nod, but last year is last year. my opinion hasnt been the same since he got hurt. nothing against Davis, if he can do it great, Ray is different story.
Yeah, last year was last year, Captain Obvious, and this year hasn't happened yet, so last year is all we have to go on.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

PinkFloyd wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:57 pm We'll see bout Cooper, his bat needs to be much much better.... outfield play was terrible this fall

Nice screen name.

Cooper should be a solid "brick in the wall" but we can't have any of the new guys playing like pigs, dogs, or sheep. But we all have "high hopes" that in "time" we can all "breathe" easy about the upcoming season.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Good2BGold wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:12 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 pm he might get the starting nod, but last year is last year. my opinion hasnt been the same since he got hurt. nothing against Davis, if he can do it great, Ray is different story.
Yeah, last year was last year, Captain Obvious, and this year hasn't happened yet, so last year is all we have to go on.
You don't know much about baseball do you ? Last year is not all you have to go on. You have the fall, and you have the other players... But it would not surprise me to see Cooper in the lineup.... based on what he did last year.... It would surprise me if he is in the line up playing like he did in the fall.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

EllistonVU wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 am

Nice screen name.

Cooper should be a solid "brick in the wall" but we can't have any of the new guys playing like pigs, dogs, or sheep. But we all have "high hopes" that in "time" we can all "breathe" easy about the upcoming season.
Maybe my Cooper post was just a momentary lapse of reason?
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am

Nice screen name.

Maybe my Cooper post was just a momentary lapse of reason?
Well played. Like a Gilmour guitar solo.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am
You don't know much about baseball do you ? Last year is not all you have to go on. You have the fall, and you have the other players... But it would not surprise me to see Cooper in the lineup.... based on what he did last year.... It would surprise me if he is in the line up playing like he did in the fall.
I actually do know quite a bit about baseball. I played it competitively for more than a decade and covered it professionally as a sportswriter. Were you at the fall practices? Where are you getting your information?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Nice screen name.

I'm just glad that these VandyBoys, in choosing between Us and Them, had Time for VU before making The Final Cut for the Money in MLB.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

went to 90% fall practice and scrimmages . spoke to many scouts , its no secret corbs style is to play upperclassman . but again if Thomas doesnt get his leg fixed it might be Cooper, Duff Martin in OF
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Good2BGold wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am
I actually do know quite a bit about baseball. I played it competitively for more than a decade and covered it professionally as a sportswriter. Were you at the fall practices? Where are you getting your information?
I don't know "PinkFloyd", but I realized a year ago that he is plugged in somewhere and has been out in front of several developments before they were public (Fisher TJ, for example). My eyes tell me that a healthy Cooper is not only the starter, but a real impact player, but I am not disputing a more informed/connected opinion. We'll see how it goes.

What's this about Thomas's leg?
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

Thomas should be fine ... A lot of them had a nagging this or that. I will revise my "opinion" on the probable starters given everyone is healthy. Again this will change due to unforeseen injuries , poor performance , grades, whatever the reason.

Starting Pitching
Rocker
Hickman
Eder

Relieve Pitching ( long)
Smith I expect Smith to get a couple starts for draft sake

Relieve Pitching ( short)
Murphy
Huff
Kaiser

Closers
Brown I expect Brown to get a couple starts for draft sake
Smith
Murphy Really coming on

Week Day
Doolin
Hliboki
Leiter
Schultz
McElvain

Performance will drive the innings and appearances

C Duvall / Rodriguez / Romero
1st Jones / Keegan
2nd Ray / Kolwyck
3rd Gonzales / Mallory
SS Noland
RF Thomas
CF Martin
LF Davis

DH Hogan or Keegan
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Whatever happens, I hope these guys are lunatics on the grass. Otherwise I might just Have a Cigar and drink myself Comfortably Numb.
Locked Previous topicNext topic