Pitchers for CWS finals

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Bear8000
Lieutenant

Pitchers for CWS finals

Post by Bear8000 »

Have enough days passed for us to be back to our normal pitching rotation starting Monday night?

Monday-Fellows
Tuesday-Rocker
Wednesday-? That would be 5 days rest for Hickman, I don't think that is a possibility?

Also, I don't know enough about pitching to know when Tyler Brown would be available and how often this week?

What about Michigan's pitching rotation, back to their starters?

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Pitchers for CWS finals

Post by Versus75 »

We've used pitchers frequently in relief on short rest. Most of you remember the last time Vanderbilt played Michigan in the NCAA Baseball Tournament.

As far as starters, I don't think pitching on the fifth day after throwing 102 pitches is much of a stretch. During the season we often started a guy on the sixth day (a Thu/Fri/Sat schedule following Fri/Sat/Sun). And if the team is only hoping for 4-6 innings out of Mason, he should do fine.
~~~
My worst memory of a starter on short rest was Mike Minor in the Louisville regional of 2009: Vanderbilt was a 3-seed with a 34-25 record (12-17 SEC) playing as the visitor to 2-seed Middle Tennessee on Friday.

Mikey allowed 4 first-inning runs to MTSU, but settled down to pitch a complete game in losing 5-4. He threw 130 pitches in 8 innings.

Coming from the loser's bracket, Vanderbilt pitched Gray (shutout Indiana), Cotham (shutout MTSU) and Christiani (beat Louisville) to force a Monday night game.

I guess it could have been a staff game with likely starter Taylor Hill (5.05 ERA), but Corbs went with Minor after just two days rest. It didn't end well: Louisville knocked out Minor with 3 runs in the fourth inning (70 pitches) en route to a 5-3 victory. Brewer, Reid and Gray finished for the 'Dores.
https://vucommodores.com/news/2009/6/1/ ... nship.aspx

P.S. Louisville went to Fullerton, California, the next weekend to be swept in a Super Regional.
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

I don't claim to know much of anything about the rest college pitchers need, so if you know what your talking about and Mason can go Wednesday, that is a very good situation for us. I like it

So can Tyler Brown pitch on Mon, Tues and Wednesday for an inning or two each day?
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

I believe Wednesday would be Hickman's bullpen day anyway, so it wouldn't be that much of an issue I don't think for him to be the starter. Plus, he'll have plenty of time to rest afterwards.
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

I appreciate the answers, as I stated, I know very little about college baseball pitchers. The extent of my knowledge is they get 1 week rest during the season between starts. Now you all are telling me they can actually go again on Day 5

What about relievers? How are they limited? By the number of days a week they pitch or number of pitches per day? Can they pitch on back to back days? If yes, how many pitches can they throw per day?
DoreZag
Captain

Post by DoreZag »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm We've used pitchers frequently in relief on short rest. Most of you remember the last time Vanderbilt played Michigan in the NCAA Baseball Tournament.

As far as starters, I don't think pitching on the fifth day after throwing 102 pitches is much of a stretch. During the season we often started a guy on the sixth day (a Thu/Fri/Sat schedule following Fri/Sat/Sun). And if the team is only hoping for 4-6 innings out of Mason, he should do fine.
~~~
My worst memory of a starter on short rest was Mike Minor in the Louisville regional of 2009: Vanderbilt was a 3-seed with a 34-25 record (12-17 SEC) playing as the visitor to 2-seed Middle Tennessee on Friday.

Mikey allowed 4 first-inning runs to MTSU, but settled down to pitch a complete game in losing 5-4. He threw 130 pitches in 8 innings.

Coming from the loser's bracket, Vanderbilt pitched Gray (shutout Indiana), Cotham (shutout MTSU) and Christiani (beat Louisville) to force a Monday night game.

I guess it could have been a staff game with likely starter Taylor Hill (5.05 ERA), but Corbs went with Minor after just two days rest. It didn't end well: Louisville knocked out Minor with 3 runs in the fourth inning (70 pitches) en route to a 5-3 victory. Brewer, Reid and Gray finished for the 'Dores.
https://vucommodores.com/news/2009/6/1/ ... nship.aspx

P.S. Louisville went to Fullerton, California, the next weekend to be swept in a Super Regional.
What a staff! All of the guys on that team you just mentioned play/played in the big leagues - Minor, Gray, Cotham, Christiani and Hill.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

Bear8000 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:39 pm I appreciate the answers, as I stated, I know very little about college baseball pitchers. The extent of my knowledge is they get 1 week rest during the season between starts. Now you all are telling me they can actually go again on Day 5

What about relievers? How are they limited? By the number of days a week they pitch or number of pitches per day? Can they pitch on back to back days? If yes, how many pitches can they throw per day?
There aren't any set limits. Now I wouldn't expect a Monday night starter to also pitch Wednesday, but there is no reason Fellows, Rocker, and Hickman can't pitch the next three games (if needed).

Brown might be called on to pitch in 2 of the 3 games, and that would be fine.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Brown might be able to pitch all three if just for an inning, but most likely would not pitch if we were behind.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

commadore wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:07 pm Brown might be able to pitch all three if just for an inning, but most likely would not pitch if we were behind.
Presumably Brown would only come in to preserve the lead, so unless he blew a save they wouldn’t need him in more than 2.
Locked Previous topicNext topic