Starting pitcher for Louisville tonight is Luke Smith

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Starting pitcher for Louisville tonight is Luke Smith

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

6'-3" RHP has a 4.37 ERA in 59.2 innings on the season and hasn't pitched since facing Illinois State on June 2 in their regional game. He pitched 8 innings in that matchup but hadn't gone more than 6 in any other game all year. 43 strikeouts vs. 22 walks.

And VU is the away team tonight, by the way, by virtue of a coin flip. :x If a game is required tomorrow, Vandy will be home.

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Starting pitcher for Louisville tonight is Luke Smith

Post by Commodoredave »

I feel a couple of touchdowns coming.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

We can't win a coin flip to save our lives. Who's coaching that?
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

why did this need a coin flip?

VU was visitors in their last game. UL was home in their last game.... seems obvious to make us home and UL away.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Not sure that the coin flip was for tonight's game, but for the If Necessary game Sat.

Looking at the bracket below, Vandy has been home and visitor 1 time each, but Louisville has been home 1 time and visitor 2 times, so according to tournament rules Louisville should be home automatically for Game 12.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... rld-series

Here is the best and easiest explanation that I could find:

In the first game, the higher seed is the home team. If both teams were seeded equally, they flip a coin (National seeds > Other #1 seeds).

After that, home team is determined in this order...
1. The team that has been the home team fewer times.
2. The team that has been the visitor more times.
3. If the two teams have already met in the tournament, the visiting team from before will be the home team.
4. If they haven't met, whoever was visitor in their most recent game will be home team.
5. Coin toss.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthr ... in-the-CWS
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Haptown wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 am Not sure that the coin flip was for tonight's game, but for the If Necessary game Sat.

Looking at the bracket below, Vandy has been home and visitor 1 time each, but Louisville has been home 1 time and visitor 2 times, so according to tournament rules Louisville should be home automatically for Game 12.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/arti ... rld-series

Here is the best and easiest explanation that I could find:

In the first game, the higher seed is the home team. If both teams were seeded equally, they flip a coin (National seeds > Other #1 seeds).

After that, home team is determined in this order...
1. The team that has been the home team fewer times.
2. The team that has been the visitor more times.
3. If the two teams have already met in the tournament, the visiting team from before will be the home team.
4. If they haven't met, whoever was visitor in their most recent game will be home team.
5. Coin toss.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthr ... in-the-CWS
That is what I had read.
CLTDore
Captain

Post by CLTDore »

Commodoredave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am I feel a couple of touchdowns coming.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I see a touchdown and a field goal.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

CLTDore wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:24 am
Commodoredave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am I feel a couple of touchdowns coming.
In the first inning.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Haptown wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 am Not sure that the coin flip was for tonight's game, but for the If Necessary game Sat.

Your post makes a lot more sense than needing a coin flip for tonight... but this implies UL will be home tonight (by virtue of conditions 2 and 3) and then also home in the If Necessary game (by condition 5)... suuuuucks for us.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

vu2003rpl wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 am

Your post makes a lot more sense than needing a coin flip for tonight... but this implies UL will be home tonight (by virtue of conditions 2 and 3) and then also home in the If Necessary game (by condition 5)... suuuuucks for us.
Naaaa. Tomorrow will not be necessary.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

commadore wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:45 am
vu2003rpl wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 am

Naaaa. Tomorrow will not be necessary.
AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD* AD*

@AD @GAD @AD 8-) @GAD @AD @GAD
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 am 6'-3" RHP has a 4.37 ERA in 59.2 innings on the season and hasn't pitched since facing Illinois State on June 2 in their regional game. He pitched 8 innings in that matchup but hadn't gone more than 6 in any other game all year. 43 strikeouts vs. 22 walks.
Louisville has a deep bullpen. Unless they've jumped on us early, I'd be surprised if they didnt pull this guy at the first sign of trouble. With their season on the line, I can't imagine they'd let this guy stumble around and give up 5 or more runs early. Ideally we start off hot and get this guy pulled by the 2nd or 3rd inning even if we've only score a couple runs. And even though their bullpen is deep, almost all of them have pitched the last few days. And with them having Detmers pitching tomorrow, they probably understand they can use up their pen today knowing they most likely wont need it much tomorrow.

I did see Detmers pitched to one batter last night but it may have been to just get them out of the 9th. Not sure if under any scenario would they go to him tonight.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 am 6'-3" RHP has a 4.37 ERA in 59.2 innings on the season and hasn't pitched since facing Illinois State on June 2 in their regional game. He pitched 8 innings in that matchup but hadn't gone more than 6 in any other game all year. 43 strikeouts vs. 22 walks.

And VU is the away team tonight, by the way, by virtue of a coin flip. :x If a game is required tomorrow, Vandy will be home.
I read an interview where Smith says he pitches to contact and lets his defense support him. His strikeout numbers back that up. Sounds like a recipe for disaster against a team like Vanderbilt. Let's hope that is the case.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

While I am super confident we can beat any team we play it is never a safe bet to assume we'll hit a given pitcher on any given day. Those that follow Vandy baseball have seen numerous TBA pitchers beat us with masterpieces. And who can forget the nobody freshman pitcher that shut us done in game 2 of the finals in 2015.
Again, I am confident we are the best team, but I'm taking nothing for granted. Just got to go out and do our thing.
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Piece from Courier Journal about Luke Smith

Post by Good2BGold »

Interesting piece about tonight's opposing pitcher from today's Louisville Courier Journal:

Luke Smith is getting his chance on the big stage as Louisville baseball's latest starter
Vandyfan22
Commander

Post by Vandyfan22 »

Hope we beat the incoming rain later in the night as well.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

How about an extra point?
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

geeznotagain wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm
How about an extra point?
Had to go for two.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic