Sportsmanship at the Hawk

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Sportsmanship at the Hawk

Post by charlestonalum »

Much has been made of our crowd and certain elements in it, but finally getting to be there in person I want to commend the sell out crowd for the display of great sportsmanship Saturday when Rocker's pitch hit the Duke player. You could hear a pin drop in the stadium until he sat up when he got a tremendous round of standing, applause that was exceeded only by the applause when he walked unaided to the Vanderbilt dugout for obvious further medical attention and the thunderous again all standing applause when the same player was again at bat on Sunday. It was a very gracious expression of concern and support for the Duke player. Bravo to all the Vanderbilt fans.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Sportsmanship at the Hawk

Post by commadore »

I agree. Also, most were happy when he struck out 4 times as well on Sunday. Not really sure if he should have been back in the line up so quickly.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Duke Injured player and Vandy fans all standing.jpg
Duke Injured player and Vandy fans all standing.jpg (143.25 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
Picture of the standing crowd is support of injured player
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm Duke Injured player and Vandy fans all standing. Picture of the standing crowd in support of injured player
Unlike the people in Toronto last night who booed when Kevin Durant was injured until their own players told them to knock it off.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I agree, charleston.

There was one "recovering journalist" from the Raleigh area (who appeared to be watching from home) who tweeted how bad it was that Vandy fans booed when the Duke trainer came out to tend to what apparently was a cut on the relief pitcher's hand (and Aaron Fitt of D1Baseball retweeted him and complained about it, too). But no one in the stands could see it was a cut and we all thought it was just another stall tactic by Duke.

[tweet][/tweet]
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

How do you get a cut on your hand throwing a baseball? Whatever it was, the guy did not pitch on Sunday.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Agree booing the trainer looked bad.... but when Duke (or any team) begins that gamesmanship stall crap, then you gotta expect some reaction. And I'm still not convinced the cut on the guys hand wasn't pre-planned as an additional stall tactic.

Or maybe the nail file in the guy's glove caught him wrong and sliced his pitching thumb?
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

Was the trainer booed the first or second time he came out? If I recall correctly he had to come out twice. Not sure how the pitcher cut his hand but you’d hope a trained medical professional would be able to manage a cut on his first attempt...

:roll:
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And on the back of the hand at that.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

It was second time he had come out, which totally seemed bogus at the time given all the other stall tactics Duke had employed. Their head coach was the worst, but their pitching coaches "strolling in the park" walk was what became hilarious to me. Never seen a young man walk that slowly before.
Throw in the loud mouth lady that sat on top of their dugout and I don't see how anyone could stand to attend a Duke baseball game at their place without going crazy.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

For the first two or three innings, my wife was across the aisle from the "loud mouth lady" who sat on top of the Duke dugout. If we're talking about the same loud mouth lady, SHE WAS LOUD but wasn't saying anything bad about Vanderbilt or our players.
VandyFan888
Ensign

Post by VandyFan888 »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:20 pm For the first two or three innings, my wife was across the aisle from the "loud mouth lady" who sat on top of the Duke dugout. If we're talking about the same loud mouth lady, SHE WAS LOUD but wasn't saying anything bad about Vanderbilt or our players.
I didn't say she said anything bad about us, I just said her voice was obnoxious to me.
She was sitting in the middle of the Duke section so it may be someone different that you're talking about unless you were sitting in the Duke section.
Locked Previous topicNext topic