Wow..Didn't see that one coming

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Wow..Didn't see that one coming

Post by PeteFox »

Who'd a thought the current VU team had a 1-0 pitching duel win in them? Congratulations to the team (especially pitchers) and let's continue to kick butt 'till we get to Omaha, and then kick some more.

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Re: Wow..Didn't see that one coming

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Fellows looked good.
zdore
Commander

Post by zdore »

And to think DFs performance was against a real All SEC POTY pitcher!”
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Zach King earned himself a lotta love last night. Very talented lefty has struggled mightily this year, but he got perhaps the 2 biggest outs of the entire season in the 7th inning last night. Kudos to him and to Corbs & Brownie for not giving up on him! If the bullpen can successfully bridge the gap between the starters and the closer, this postseason could prove most memorable
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

I was pleasantly surprised by our pitching last night. To go with zero runs despite hit batsmen and fielding miscues was remarkable. Hats off to Fellows, King, and Brown.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

And he rung up Jake Mangum. I still can't stand that guy.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

We are so fortunate to get to root for this great team. I'm really looking forward to the Regional at the Hawk.

I have my tickets, do you have yours?
boatrocker
Captain

Post by boatrocker »

i think last night is what happens when a bad ball/strike umpire ruins a perfectly good baseball game.

It was bad for hitters on both teams but it made it hard to watch. Reminded me of the old days with Ken Couch behind the plate.

Either way I will take the win.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

boatrocker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am i think last night is what happens when a bad ball/strike umpire ruins a perfectly good baseball game.

It was bad for hitters on both teams but it made it hard to watch. Reminded me of the old days with Ken Couch behind the plate.

While I don't think the umpire ruined the game, he did indeed have an "old school" giant strike zone, though he was consistent both ways for 9 full innings. I had to laugh when King rang up Mangum on a low fastball that had been called a strike all night long and Mangum couldn't believe it. He apparently had not been paying attention up to that point.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

boatrocker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am i think last night is what happens when a bad ball/strike umpire ruins a perfectly good baseball game.

I loved his strike zone. It was consistent from start to finish regardless of who's batting or pitching and whether they were leftie or rightie. Pitchers for both teams figured out early in the game that a 2 strike count expanded the zone a wee bit and were hammering the edges leaving the batters walking to the dugout in disbelief.

I only complain when umps have different zones for each team and/or a changing zone depending on which side of plate a batter is on or rightie vs leftie pitcher. Current SEC umpire Jeff Head is widely considered one of the best somehow but has different zones depending on pitcher vs batter combo.
Locked Previous topicNext topic