He stuck with Fellows too long

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

He stuck with Fellows too long

Post by EllistonVU »

He was obviously struggling and instead of sending the pitching coach out there to give him a sermon, a different pitcher could have been warming up and the change made.

Even with all the other mistakes (fielding errors) etc - this loss is on Corbs. Sometimes he is stubborn to a fault.

dotcommie
Captain

Re: He stuck with Fellows too long

Post by dotcommie »

I have to agree here. As good as Corbin is, I have felt that sometimes he keeps pitchers in too long. I felt like he left Sonny Gray in too long in the CWS, which cost them the game and possibly a championship. But, what do I really know about coaching.
BWestbrook
Rear Admiral

Post by BWestbrook »

I totally disagree the idea last night was to save the pen and for the most part we did that. This is a three game series and if Raby can just pitch ok tonight the numbers are in our favor these last two games.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

BWestbrook wrote:I totally disagree the idea last night was to save the pen and for the most part we did that. This is a three game series and if Raby can just pitch ok tonight the numbers are in our favor these last two games.
I disagree with you on this. A best of 3, loser misses Omaha?

You have win every game. 22 percent who lose game 1 historically sweep the next two. 78 percent end the season.
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

I agree with the first two posts 100 percent. I remember that Sonny Gray game also, as well as other times when it seemed obvious that a pitching change was needed, none occurred, and disaster resulted. There’s a definite pattern to that, as I have told my wife numbers of times while pulling out what remains of my hair. You can feel the disaster coming before it happens. Dropping the opener in a 3-game series is a very bad outcome. It’s like spotting your opponent 10 or 11 points in ping-pong; he already has half of what he needs to win. You must play significantly better than he does the rest of the way, and it’s a difficult hole to climb out of even then. Can we come back? Of course. Will we? Of that no one can be sure. I hope so, and we’ll find out very soon. But we should have used better pitching strategy last night.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

BWestbrook wrote:I totally disagree the idea last night was to save the pen and for the most part we did that. This is a three game series and if Raby can just pitch ok tonight the numbers are in our favor these last two games.
Good thing we "didn't need to win game one" - right?
Locked Previous topicNext topic