Don't Get Too Giddy

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

baseball1234
Commander

Don't Get Too Giddy

Post by baseball1234 »

A team is never as good or as bad as it seems. Great weekend for the VandyBoys. Everything went our way, of course led by dang good pitching. Timely hitting was the key with the offense. The conference might be tougher this year than in past years. It does not look like there will be any easy series wins. We could get swept on any given weekend and could sweep on most weekends.

A team is never as good or as bad as it seems. Caution not to get too high or too low. It's all about May and June.

3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Re: Don't Get Too Giddy

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

I remember some football teams in the 1980s that were exactly as bad as they seemed.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:39 pm I remember some football teams in the 1980s that were exactly as bad as they seemed.
Too funny. Got me on that one,
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

VU - 17
MSU - 2
Can I be giddy?
accent grave over the e
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

make that 21 - 2
accent grave over the e
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

26-3
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Way beyond giddy at this point
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

It’s baseball…we ain’t that good, they ain’t that bad.

On the other hand we may indeed have a better hitting club than we originally thought.

Hopefully gonna be a very fun season.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I'm not giddy, but I am pleased. Maybe Corbin knows something about coaching baseball... And maybe the players know how to play the game. We still owe them for that CWS final.
vutrain
Commander

Post by vutrain »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:34 pm I'm not giddy, but I am pleased. Maybe Corbin knows something about coaching baseball... And maybe the players know how to play the game. We still owe them for that CWS final.
We were in Omaha for the Vandy/Miss.State game and a 26-3 beatdown will NEVER repay the Miss St fans for the obnoxious asses they were out there. I am sure glad to see the Vandy Boys have beaten the 2022 National Champions 3x and so far, have the 2021 Champions looking pretty weak.

As stated elsewere, it looks like this Vandy team may well be a better hitting team than we first thought. Those 2 hit games look like an anonaly now.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We continue to hit well and defense is stellar. Pitching is very consistent so far. What's not to like?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm We continue to hit well and defense is stellar. Pitching is very consistent so far. What's not to like?
So far, it's underrated how tremendously good Vandy is defensively.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

South Carolina 6-0, Kentucky 5-0 and Florida 4-1 so far and UT will likely bounce back from a slow start.

I’m not getting too giddy.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

SC hit the portal hard. They have plugged holes and gotten healthy. They are well stocked and we play them there. That series will tell us a lot. It looks like this will be a very tight East division race. The West is even tighter at the top. Seeing the Mississippi schools where they are now shows just how special our coach and team are.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

vutrain wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:05 am
charlestonalum wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:34 pm I'm not giddy, but I am pleased. Maybe Corbin knows something about coaching baseball... And maybe the players know how to play the game. We still owe them for that CWS final.
We were in Omaha for the Vandy/Miss.State game and a 26-3 beatdown will NEVER repay the Miss St fans for the obnoxious asses they were out there.
Me too and echo this. You had to have been in Omaha that year to understand it. I went from indifferent about Miss State or even slightly positive about them to utterly despising those despicable people.

Hoping we get over 60 runs scored in this series today.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

oakparkDore wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 am
vutrain wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:05 am
We were in Omaha for the Vandy/Miss.State game and a 26-3 beatdown will NEVER repay the Miss St fans for the obnoxious asses they were out there.
Me too and echo this. You had to have been in Omaha that year to understand it. I went from indifferent about Miss State or even slightly positive about them to utterly despising those despicable people.

Hoping we get over 60 runs scored in this series today.
I was there, too, and the way some of their fans treated Kumar Rocker's parents was beyond disgraceful. The highlight of that last game for me was being able to go right up to the Rockers who were sitting just up from us when he got relieved early, and thank them for sending their son to Vanderbilt, and they were most gracious even in their disappointment and having endured the insults from some MSU fans.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was there too. The behavior of the State fans reminded me of the behavior of Middle Tennessee fans back in 2001 when we lost to them for the first time ever. While, yes, there were some decent Middle folks, a large majority of them were shit-faced drunk and walking around taunting Vandy fans.

That's one of the things I liked about Derek Mason, He never lost to Middle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

admin wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am I was there too. The behavior of the State fans reminded me of the behavior of Middle Tennessee fans back in 2001 when we lost to them for the first time ever. While, yes, there were some decent Middle folks, a large majority of them were shit-faced drunk and walking around taunting Vandy fans.

Good comparison. I was at that Middle game (sigh) and those folks were also horrendous.

The strange thing about Omaha was how often we were harassed in the morning or early in the afternoon also. They weren’t even drunk. Just awful people who hate Vanderbilt baseball because of some conspiracy theory nonsense about scholarship advantages.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

oakparkDore wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:26 pm
admin wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am I was there too. The behavior of the State fans reminded me of the behavior of Middle Tennessee fans back in 2001 when we lost to them for the first time ever. While, yes, there were some decent Middle folks, a large majority of them were shit-faced drunk and walking around taunting Vandy fans.

Good comparison. I was at that Middle game (sigh) and those folks were also horrendous.

The strange thing about Omaha was how often we were harassed in the morning or early in the afternoon also. They weren’t even drunk. Just awful people who hate Vanderbilt baseball because of some conspiracy theory nonsense about scholarship advantages.
Was looking online at an msu board. Before the first game one said "and now we get to face Vandy and their Shenanigans.". Hope he enjoyed them as much as I did.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Who would have thought preseason that our SEC season start would be against teams with 0-6 SEC start (us contributing 3 to each)
Locked Previous topicNext topic