LMU #3

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: LMU #3

Post by Levon »

LMU pitcher, #17, wears his uniform like it's 1937. I like it.

And EBjr owes Commie 20 more push ups...sigh

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Do we have anyone but Schreck that can hit a ball? Even Bradfield can't hit anything but flies.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:52 pm Do we have anyone but Schreck that can hit a ball? Even Bradfield can't hit anything but flies.
Maldo the Younger.

I'm having nightmares picturing this offense trying to hit SEC pitching. The pitching better be good all year...
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

How many pitches before Anderson Wild Pitches a run home?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Just an overall frustrating day for a team with little margin for error.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

This is one of the ugliest Vanderbilt games I ever recall seeing. LMU isn't a very talented team, but it certainly is the much better team today. Yikes!!
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Polk's ground ball sure looked foul. Of course, my angle wasn't very good.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Levon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:30 pm Polk's ground ball sure looked foul. Of course, my angle wasn't very good.
3rd baseman caught it in foul territory, short of the base. I'm shocked the LMU coach didn't challenge.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:32 pm
Levon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:30 pm Polk's ground ball sure looked foul. Of course, my angle wasn't very good.
3rd baseman caught it in foul territory, short of the base. I'm shocked the LMU coach didn't challenge.
Yep
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

After a spirited rally featuring an EBjr gapper 2B (finally) and a Schreck line drive 2B, Diaz flails at a strike 3 breaking ball in the left hand batters box. An appropriately ugly ending to an ugly, ugly game. Congrats to LMU, they played well.
Last edited by Levon on Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Levon wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:33 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:32 pm
Yep
Agreed. If the ‘Dores came all the way back, LMU coach would have egg on his face.
Versus75
Admiral

Scoring change in the 9th...

Post by Versus75 »

... not that it matters other than for stats.

When the LMU right fielder came on to make a catch on Rogers' pop fly, the second baseman ran into him and the ball dropped. I said to my wife:

"I would charge an error to the second baseman because the right fielder was there and would have made the catch. Sometimes, though, a scorekeeper can't decide whom to charge with the error so it goes down as a hit. Some have in the past pushed for a 'team error' in a case such as this, but the rule has never been changed."

Of course, since I'm not the Official Scorer the right fielder was charged with an error.

After the game, I reviewed the play-by-play of that horrid ninth inning which included E-9, several walks by VU pitchers and other misdeeds. I said to the wife:

"At least for the LMU pitcher's sake, he won't be charged with any earned runs."

~ ~ ~

Then I looked at the box score and saw 4 VU runs / 2 earned runs in the ninth inning.

"How could that be?" I thought. Then I looked at the play-by-play again and saw that in the few moments span of my changing web pages HE changed the scoring on the play to a single for Rogers.

I know that Official Scorers can and have changed rulings after the fact (I can't remember the cutoff for such action, but it's happened in MLB -- my Rotisserie League team one year swapped 2nd and 3rd place in the season totals due to a scoring change). Just didn't expect it this time.

Good for Rogers. Not so good for LMU pitcher.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Scoring change in the 9th...

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:24 pm ... not that it matters other than for stats.

When the LMU right fielder came on to make a catch on Rogers' pop fly, the second baseman ran into him and the ball dropped. I said to my wife:

"I would charge an error to the second baseman because the right fielder was there and would have made the catch. Sometimes, though, a scorekeeper can't decide whom to charge with the error so it goes down as a hit. Some have in the past pushed for a 'team error' in a case such as this, but the rule has never been changed."

Of course, since I'm not the Official Scorer the right fielder was charged with an error.

After the game, I reviewed the play-by-play of that horrid ninth inning which included E-9, several walks by VU pitchers and other misdeeds. I said to the wife:

"At least for the LMU pitcher's sake, he won't be charged with any earned runs."

~ ~ ~

Then I looked at the box score and saw 4 VU runs / 2 earned runs in the ninth inning.

"How could that be?" I thought. Then I looked at the play-by-play again and saw that in the few moments span of my changing web pages HE changed the scoring on the play to a single for Rogers.

I know that Official Scorers can and have changed rulings after the fact (I can't remember the cutoff for such action, but it's happened in MLB -- my Rotisserie League team one year swapped 2nd and 3rd place in the season totals due to a scoring change). Just didn't expect it this time.

Good for Rogers. Not so good for LMU pitcher.
Ruling that a hit indicates the official scorer is a member of the Order of the Sisters of Charity. I agree with you, E4 all the way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic