Preseason Predictions

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyManners
Lieutenant

Preseason Predictions

Post by VandyManners »

Well, my son starts High School baseball practice this week so that means we are getting close to college baseball, and I could not be more excited. I believe it starts in 18 days down in Texas and I have a good feeling about this Vandy team. Call it a gut feeling or a hunch, but I think we will be very good. How do you all feel about this year's team? Who are you excited to see? Predictions?

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Preseason Predictions

Post by Minoadoc »

can never have too much pitching, but this team seems to have an abundance of it. Will be interesting to see how it is sorted out. Hoping to see both Hlbacki and Doolin come back, they were very good pre-injury. Senior laden team, hope that means something.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Just hope we can score some runs.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

UCLA won the 2013 Natty with a deep pitching staff (2.55 ERA) and couldn't hit their way out of a paper sack (.250 team batting avg. Averaged 4.7 runs a game. Only 19 home runs on the season in 66 games with 71 stolen bases & 103 successful sacrifice bunts/fly's. Their best regular player hit .281 & only two other regulars hit better than .260). They basically won the title playing "small ball". I'm not saying that will be us in '23, but I'll be ecstatic if it is. I'm predicting that we are in an exciting Super playing for OMAHA! AD*
LanceGish
Petty Officer

Post by LanceGish »

I think these players will be key for our hitting.
Polk
McKenzie
Noland
Bulger
And yes on paper our pitching depth seems strong.
The SEC is running the gauntlet.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I would love to see Parker Noland have his breakout year this year. He has always had so much potential but hasn't put it all together yet. I hope this is his year to put it all together.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

vandylifer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:47 pm UCLA won the 2013 Natty with a deep pitching staff (2.55 ERA) and couldn't hit their way out of a paper sack (.250 team batting avg. Averaged 4.7 runs a game. Only 19 home runs on the season in 66 games with 71 stolen bases & 103 successful sacrifice bunts/fly's. Their best regular player hit .281 & only two other regulars hit better than .260). They basically won the title playing "small ball". I'm not saying that will be us in '23, but I'll be ecstatic if it is. I'm predicting that we are in an exciting Super playing for OMAHA! AD*
This is for you, vandylifer ;)

[tweet][/tweet]
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I understand that we've been picked a little lower in the pre-season polls -- both nationally and in the SEC -- than what we're accustomed to seeing the last few years under CTC. Many posts (including mine) on the Vandymania football board and especially on the basketball board have lamented about the negative impact the NIL and the transfer portal have had on Vandy's record. I hope we're not humming the same tune on this board around mid-season.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

LanceGish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 pm I think these players will be key for our hitting.
Polk
McKenzie
Noland
Bulger
And yes on paper our pitching depth seems strong.
The SEC is running the gauntlet.
Hewitt
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The deep pitching staff will pay off when we get to regional play. I hope we can develop a solid midweek guy like Mason Hickman.
Locked Previous topicNext topic