JJ Bleday reportedly headed to The Show

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

JJ Bleday reportedly headed to The Show

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Not surprised by this at all. He's been tearing up the minors, and this felt inevitable from the first day he was drafted. Could be quite the VandyBoy reunion in Pittsburgh with Jason Delay, Tyler Beede, and (if he returns from injury) Bryan Reynolds.

[tweet][/tweet]

VU1970
Admiral

Re: JJ Bleday reportedly headed to The Show

Post by VU1970 »

Not in the lineup today against a lefty.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

He pinch hit in the 9th today and drew a walk.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Not officially a pinch hit. Came in as a defensive replacement in the seventh inning. Played left and caught a routine fly ball.

Camera crew focused on about 15 friends and family. Pirates broadcasters talking about it being JJ’s first big league game. Did I miss a mention of Vanderbilt?
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Jason Delay HR

Post by Versus75 »

I played back the start of the televised broadcast by the Pittsburgh station on MLB.com. The announcers said that Jason Delay hit his first major league home run. There was video of a shot to left just inside the fair/foul pole.

It's WAY early in his career to project, but interesting so far that Jason is hitting better in the majors than he ever did in the minors. After 36 plate appearances, his slash line is .324/.361/.500.

Jason was batting .213 this season in 30 games at AA and AAA. It's a good thing the other Pirates catchers are so bad that he was given a chance in the Bigs. Making the most of it.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ja01.shtml
Versus75
Admiral

Bleday and Delay in The Show

Post by Versus75 »

Miami at Pittsburgh about to start.

JJ batting fifth for Miami, playing CF.
Jason batting ninth and catching for Pitt.

I learned that Pittsburgh traded away its former starting catcher, Mike Perez, yesterday. Good news for Delay.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Bleday just got his first MLB hit and then recorded a stolen base against Delay.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Jason Delay HR

Post by fldore »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:30 am I played back the start of the televised broadcast by the Pittsburgh station on MLB.com. The announcers said that Jason Delay hit his first major league home run. There was video of a shot to left just inside the fair/foul pole.

It's WAY early in his career to project, but interesting so far that Jason is hitting better in the majors than he ever did in the minors. After 36 plate appearances, his slash line is .324/.361/.500.

Jason was batting .213 this season in 30 games at AA and AAA. It's a good thing the other Pirates catchers are so bad that he was given a chance in the Bigs. Making the most of it.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ja01.shtml
That isn't as uncommon as one would think. Feels like over the years I've looked up a number of players who have had much worse statistics at some level in the minors. I suppose it is all about development and timing of when you improve as a player. Bleday is the same way. I looked up his stats the other night when I heard he was getting called up and he has been fairly unimpressive most of his career in the minors. And then something happened in the Fall league last year where he started hitting well. They moved him up to AAA to start this year where his stats are significantly better than anything you see in single or double A. Much better power and walk rates although his batting average isn't great. And now here he is in the bigs.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... eday000jef
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:56 pm Bleday just got his first MLB hit and then recorded a stolen base against Delay.
He also recorded a double and a run scored, going 2-4 today at the plate. Nice start to a long career, JJ.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

JJ I fully expected to make it to the Bigs. Delay, not really. Good for him!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

JJ with his first (of many) major league homer tonight:

[tweet][/tweet]
Locked Previous topicNext topic