Rocker Signs with Rangers

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Rocker Signs with Rangers

Post by Levon »

$5.2M signing bonus.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rocker Signs with Rangers

Post by charlestonalum »

Congratulations
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

He had zero leverage, but at this point I’m sure he’s glad to get it over with…
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another big Vanderbilt donor is born. Happy for him. The Mets screwed him royally. I hope he gives them some payback on the mound.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 pm Another big Vanderbilt donor is born. Happy for him. The Mets screwed him royally. I hope he gives them some payback on the mound.
I don't know, Don. Maybe. Maybe not. What would be their motivation to screw him over? If they were wrong, I tend to go with the incompetence angle rather than the evil intent angle. They may have been over-cautious, may have mis-interpreted the scans. But we'll know soon enough. Obviously, I wish Kumar well. And the very early signs are certainly encouraging. We'll likely know before too long how sound his arm truly is. I think the jury is still out, though.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:40 am
admin wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 pm Another big Vanderbilt donor is born. Happy for him. The Mets screwed him royally. I hope he gives them some payback on the mound.
I don't know, Don. Maybe. Maybe not. What would be their motivation to screw him over? If they were wrong, I tend to go with the incompetence angle rather than the evil intent angle. They may have been over-cautious, may have mis-interpreted the scans. But we'll know soon enough. Obviously, I wish Kumar well. And the very early signs are certainly encouraging. We'll likely know before too long how sound his arm truly is. I think the jury is still out, though.
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been checking the board much in the off-season.

It does seem weird the Mets would screw Rocker over, but they did have some level of motivation: 2023 Bonus Pool money and draft slot. It could be they didn't like any of their options in Rocker's class. So they took him, strung him along, and then negated the offer. By not signing him, they got the same slot in the next draft PLUS their regular order. This summer the Mets had the #11 AND the #14 pick. To top that off, that increases the bonus pool money because of the extra pick.

Why would they do this? They felt better about the 2023 class of prospects and wanted multiple top players...and needed the additional money to make it happen. Below is the 2022 bonus draft pool $ available by team for the 8 teams with the most:

Orioles: $16.9M
Diamondbacks: $15.1M
Mets: $13.9M
Pirates: $13.7M
Rockies: $13.7M
Nationals: $11.0M
Reds: $10.8M
Marlins: $10.5M

Which one of those teams doesn't belong? The Mets. The rest have been bad for a while, so they have the highest picks with the most slot value. The Mets turned their two picks into the best college catcher in the draft (Parada) and a HS SS. Not only that, but after their Top 10 picks, they were able to spend $775,000 to entice their 11-20 round picks (no slot value) because they still had unallocated bonus pool money.

In short, while it is rare for an MLB team under today's system to screw over a 1st Round pick, if there's nobody there you like and there's an injury risk on the board, taking them can set you up for a heck of draft the next year...especially if you like that class better.
Locked Previous topicNext topic