Premium: ESPN's Kiley McDaniel's MLB Draft Top 300

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Premium: ESPN's Kiley McDaniel's MLB Draft Top 300

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

A lot of Vandy in this ranking. Noah Schultz (34) and Sal Stewart (82) are being seen in draft circles as being hard to sign and will likely stick with Vandy. Andrew Dutkanych (who has already withdrawn from the draft) would rank around 60th if he were eligible. Also ranking in the top 100: Druw Jones at 1, Dylan Lesko at 8, Brandon Barriera at 15, Spencer Jones at 20, Kumar at 54, Dom Keegan at 77 and Karson Milbrandt at 100. Jack Bulger (210) and Chris McElvain (274) are both top 300, as are signees Ryan Clifford (127), RJ Austin (161), and Chris Maldonado (235).

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/ ... -prospects

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Premium: ESPN's Kiley McDaniel's MLB Draft Top 300

Post by Minoadoc »

I believe that Chris Lee said that Sal Stewart is already on campus taking classes. Which might be leverage in draft negotiations
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

At 6-3/220 and rated a 10 of 10 on Perfect Game, wouldn't Sal be a candidate to start at 1st next year?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

FWIW, RJ Austin posted a message to Instagram that would seem to indicate he wants to come to Vandy, but no guarantee there.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Minoadoc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:46 pm I believe that Chris Lee said that Sal Stewart is already on campus taking classes. Which might be leverage in draft negotiations
If he is taking classes he is no longer eligible for the draft.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:51 pm At 6-3/220 and rated a 10 of 10 on Perfect Game, wouldn't Sal be a candidate to start at 1st next year?
Plays 1B, 3B, and pitches. Perfect Game raved about his hitting
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

commadore wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:58 pm
Minoadoc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:46 pm I believe that Chris Lee said that Sal Stewart is already on campus taking classes. Which might be leverage in draft negotiations
That's what I would have thought, too, but Aria Gerson tweeted something about this yesterday:
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:21 pm FWIW, RJ Austin posted a message to Instagram that would seem to indicate he wants to come to Vandy, but no guarantee there.
Here's his tweet tonight. Sure, maybe it's for negotiating leverage, but hard not to be excited:
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:11 pm
That's what I would have thought, too, but Aria Gerson tweeted something about this yesterday:
Not disputing this, but why would it not count in June, but you step foot in class in August or September and you are out until you finish your junior year or turn 21. Just doesn't make sense.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:21 pm FWIW, RJ Austin posted a message to Instagram that would seem to indicate he wants to come to Vandy, but no guarantee there.
He's coming to campus. Big, big news.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Excited about getting some of the signees to campus.
Lost in that news/overlooked is Kumar falling to a projected 54. I feel like the Mets really screwed him. I know it recently came out that he had minor shoulder surgery (simple scope, which for an athlete of his caliber these days is nothing too serious), but now with all the time off and inability to showcase his ability, he has fallen out of a major payday. Not sure what to take away from this, though it can be seen as a cautionary tale that even a “sure thing” like a high draft projection or being selected in the draft doesn’t always materialize.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 am Excited about getting some of the signees to campus.
Lost in that news/overlooked is Kumar falling to a projected 54. I feel like the Mets really screwed him. I know it recently came out that he had minor shoulder surgery (simple scope, which for an athlete of his caliber these days is nothing too serious), but now with all the time off and inability to showcase his ability, he has fallen out of a major payday. Not sure what to take away from this, though it can be seen as a cautionary tale that even a “sure thing” like a high draft projection or being selected in the draft doesn’t always materialize.
Kumar has been throwing mid-upper 90's with good control in Independent League, which is comparable to pitching to college guys. Meanwhile, Lesko had TJ surgery, will definately miss next year and is a projected first round pick. And there are several other pitchers in the top 100 college draft that have also had TJ. Don't understand why Kumar is being downgraded
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 am Excited about getting some of the signees to campus.
I have heard the opposite. The consensus seems to be that he has worked his way back into the latter part of the first round. Rocker's team still hasn't completely released all of his medical records, but everyone knows about the shoulder surgery and don't seem worried about that. The big red flag that I would have as a team is the fact that Rocker hasn't submitted to a complete medical examination by MLB in 21 or 22, and the Mets saw something that scared them enough to pass on him after spending a top 10 pick on him last year. If Rocker has nothing to hide, I really don't understand why they aren't getting a full medical disclosure, because it will only seem to hurt him if his medicals are not a real concern.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

katmai wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:09 pm
I have heard the opposite. The consensus seems to be that he has worked his way back into the latter part of the first round. Rocker's team still hasn't completely released all of his medical records, but everyone knows about the shoulder surgery and don't seem worried about that. The big red flag that I would have as a team is the fact that Rocker hasn't submitted to a complete medical examination by MLB in 21 or 22, and the Mets saw something that scared them enough to pass on him after spending a top 10 pick on him last year. If Rocker has nothing to hide, I really don't understand why they aren't getting a full medical disclosure, because it will only seem to hurt him if his medicals are not a real concern.
Also worth noting, FWIW, is that Kiley McDaniel (the author of this ranking) was much less bullish on Kumar pre-draft last year than most other pundits.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:12 pm
katmai wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:09 pm
Also worth noting, FWIW, is that Kiley McDaniel (the author of this ranking) was much less bullish on Kumar pre-draft last year than most other pundits.
By comparison, Keith Law of The Athletic has Kumar going at 24 to the Red Sox, who are apparently very interested in him (and were last year, too).

https://nesn.com/2022/07/kumar-rocker-r ... n-pitcher/
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I want to see Kumar on the Braves, pitching against the Mets frequently.
freckles
Petty Officer

Post by freckles »

Would absolutely love to see another NL East team draft Kumar
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:11 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
About the only thing I read of Aria's is her tweets. Her articles are unreadable. She's probably calling all our prospects who want to go the college route so that they can know that can still sign MLB deals up until August 1st.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I don't subscribe to either the print or electronic Tennessean, so I rarely have the opportunity to read her stuff, but what little I have read seems okay. Nothing spectacular, but nothing shoddy, sensational or poorly researched either. As for this tweet, clearing up a possible(?) misconception with a factual(?) statement seems responsible. I haven't seen anything to suggest that she's wrong or that she's encouraging Stewart or anyone else to sign professionally.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I am an Aria fan. Her content has improved with her tenure. Her tweets are on point and, if anything, are very VU supportive. And the tweet above was simply to clarify not to incite.
Locked Previous topicNext topic