Carter Young to LSU

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Soli Deo Gloria
Seaman Recruit

Carter Young to LSU

Post by Soli Deo Gloria »

[tweet][/tweet]

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: Carter Young to LSU

Post by Commodoredave »

I take this as an indictment of Mike Baxter and the lack of faith in developing hitters. Carter went from a first round probable to a .210 hitter who struck out all the time.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:33 am I take this as an indictment of Mike Baxter and the lack of faith in developing hitters. Carter went from a first round probable to a .210 hitter who struck out all the time.
I think there is some reason to question the development of our hitters. However, I wonder how much of Young's issues might still be related to his shoulder injury in 2021. He was a solid .280 hitter pre-injury, and .200 post. I hope it works out for him, but I would prefer he gets drafted and works it out in the pros and not at LSU.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Maybe Carter didn't want to take Baxter's coaching. Carter even had a hard time executing sacrifice bunts this year. Wouldn't blame that on coaching. It seemed this year that Carter's head often was not in the game.

I still think that he is a helluva player and that a change of scenery will be great for him. The league might have figured out how to pitch to him, but I foresee him having a good year next year.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Could they use a first baseman in Baton Rouge? Maybe another pitcher?

I believe Gavin Casas and Donnye Evans are still out there.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Baxter seemed to have helped Spencer Jones' hitting.

Sometimes guys go backwards for whatever reason.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Best wishes to CY. Hope it works out for him, just not against us. 😁
freckles
Petty Officer

Post by freckles »

Best of luck to Carter. He tried his best here but it didn't work out for whatever reason
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Versus75 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 am Could they use a first baseman in Baton Rouge? Maybe another pitcher?

I believe Gavin Casas and Donnye Evans are still out there.
It looks like Casas is going to South Carolina. I wish these guys wouldn't be going to SEC schools.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

katmai wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 am I wish these guys wouldn't be going to SEC schools.
Yes
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Best conference, so logical that guys stay within the conference. Casas often seemed overmatched at the plate albeit from a rather small sample size.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

The SEC is the best but when opposing coaches have a thick book on your batting habits .... unquestionably the wisest choice would have been moving to a more hospitable conference; ie. .... BIG-10 or PAC-12. The Vandy coaches know C Young's offensive weaknesses as well as any others .... soooo .... C Young made things more difficult for himself by going to LSU. Contrary to what has been posted previously .... his BA ended at .207 this season. He wasn't a .280 hitter immediately before his shoulder separation .... his BA was right about .270 just before he slid into 2nd base only to pop his shoulder. The accurate picture on C Young at Vanderbilt is that his career BA was about .240 & his SEC career BA was under .200. Given that C Young ended the season on the bench at Vanderbilt .... it is every bit as probable he will be in the same situation at LSU. I'd like him to do well but my expectation at this point is he will watch more than not in 2023. He ended up 2022 with the lowest BA of all STARTING IF's in the SEC. He will have to beat out several talented ballplayers on the LSU roster. Life is a struggle.
Last edited by Vandybird on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Vandybird wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:49 pm Contrary to what has been posted previous .... his BA ended at .207. He wasn't a .280 hitter immediately before his shoulder separation .... his BA was right about .260 just before he slid into 2nd base only to pop his shoulder. The accurate picture on C Young at Vanderbilt is that his career BA was about .230 & his SEC career BA was under .200.
Carter Young's 2021 BA after the FIU game when he was injured was .276 (54-196 with 15 hrs), and for the remainder of the season he batted .150 (6-40 with 1 hr.). Since his injury (12 games in 2021 and 2022) his batting avg. is .197 (45-228 with 8 hrs.). Prior to his injury, Corbin thought enough of his batting prowess to have him primarily batting 2nd in the order. There is no way to sugarcoat the fact that 2022 was an offensive disaster for Young, and it was painful to watch. However, I don't think you are giving a fair assessment of his offensive abilities prior to the injury.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Makes sense for CY to pick LSU as Jay Johnson recruited him hard at Arizona. Wishing him all the best
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Vandybird wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:49 pm The SEC is the best but when opposing coaches have a thick book on your batting habits .... unquestionably the wisest choice would have been move to a more hospitable conference; ie. .... BIG-10 or PAC-12. The Vandy coaches know C Young's offensive weaknesses as well as any others .... soooo .... C Young made things more difficult for himself by going to LSU. Contrary to what has been posted previously .... his BA ended at .207 this season. He wasn't a .280 hitter immediately before his shoulder separation .... his BA was right about .260 just before he slid into 2nd base only to pop his shoulder. The accurate picture on C Young at Vanderbilt is that his career BA was about .230 & his SEC career BA was under .200. Given that C Young ended the season on the bench at Vanderbilt .... it is every bit as probable he will be in the same situation at LSU. I'd like him to do well but my expectation at this point is he will watch more than not in 2023. He ended up 2022 with the lowest BA of all STARTING IF's in the SEC. He will have to beat out several talented ballplayers on the LSU roster. Life is a struggle.
so can we assume you will be moving along to lsu's baseball site as tigerbird so you can rag cy there?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Amazing that Johnson would take a kid from that lousy Washington baseball region. He should have spoken to Vandybird first to get his opinion. Vandybird would have set him straight.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Washington State has produced several MLB pitchers and a few defensive position players with admirable WAR; Buddy Black, Mel Sr & Todd Stottlemyre, Scott Hatteberg, John Olander, Ron Cey, Michael Conforto, Tim Lincecum, Lyle Overbay, Ryne Sandberg, Grady Sizemore, Bobby Wells .... but not so many in recent years. The big problem in Washington is that the climate doesn't alllow for year-round practice like in CA or AZ; etc. As far as C Young is concerned .... I'm not gonna bother following him at LSU because .... I won a bet involving his 2022 performance .... which is part of why I joined this forum.
Last edited by Vandybird on Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Carter should sign a big NIL deal with an LSU Baseball booster … then take the MLB Draft offer/signing bonus.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

The worst infielder in the entire SEC during the 2022 season is going in to be drafted in a shortened 20 round 2022 MLB Draft in 3 weeks as well sign a NIL deal beforehand ? Is that some kind of delirium, drug or alcohol induced hallucination ? Get real people .... these statements about some of the Vandy athletes are total insanity. The last Vandy infielder drafted had a BA around .377 .... close to double what C Young managed in 2022.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Vandybird wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:41 pm .... I'm not gonna bother following him because .... I already won the bet with my bro-in-law.
Yet, here you are still following your boy. :roll:
Locked Previous topicNext topic