P Andrew Dutkanych says he intends to go to Vandy

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

P Andrew Dutkanych says he intends to go to Vandy

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Could be huge news for us if true.

[tweet][/tweet]

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: P Andrew Dutkanych says he intends to go to Vandy

He has apparently withdrawn from the MLB Draft. Huge.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... rom-draft/
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Just the kind of news we need. Pitching is our strength as usual, but we could really improve in clutch hitting...
Last edited by charlestonalum on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

I am very excited he is going to be attending Vanderbilt, but I still think if I was a top high school pitcher, I would keep all my options open. You let teams know what your number is (and everyone should have one), and if you don't get it, then follow through with college. No need to limit your choices at this point.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Likely not just the kind of talent we want, but also the kind of priorities and maturity.
Versus75
Admiral

My bad …

Post by Versus75 »

… I thought I was in the Football Forum and we signed a new kicker.

But seriously, folks. I’m only going to remember the names of these new players AFTER they show up for the first day of classes.

I applaud Corbin and the staff for going after the best players. True, we will lose Ian Anderson, Matt Olson, et Al to the MLB draft, but we do it for guys like Pedro Alvarez, Tyler Beede and The Duke (easy to remember).
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

#35? Prospect, 6’3”, 95mph FB, control of two breaking pitches
freckles
Petty Officer

Post by freckles »

Dutkanych talks about his decision with the IndyStar

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 740109001/
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:38 pm Likely not just the kind of talent we want, but also the kind of priorities and maturity.
Huh? Not the kind of talent we want? Here is what the MLB projected draft says:

23. Toronto Blue Jays – RHP Andrew Dutkanych, Brebeuf Jesuit Prep (IN)
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 212 lbs. | B-T: R-R | Age: 18 | Commitment: Vanderbilt

Scouting Report: Andrew Dutkanych is one of the nastiest pitchers in the class. His mid-to-high 90s fastball has excellent riding life, along with two breaking balls that get a ton of movement and depth. More specifically, some think that his slider is the best breaking ball in the prep class. Dutkanych’s changeup is still coming along, but his success versus good competition has mainly been carried by his other three offerings.

Pick Explanation: The Blue Jays have a recent history of drafting college pitching, but Dutkanych may be too good to pass up. After dealing some pitching this offseason, Toronto may look to balance out the organization with an arm at this pick.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:57 am
OldDude wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:38 pm Likely not just the kind of talent we want, but also the kind of priorities and maturity.

I believe he said "not just the kind of talent we want."
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Scouting Report: Andrew Dutkanych is one of the nastiest pitchers in the class. His mid-to-high 90s fastball has excellent riding life, along with two breaking balls that get a ton of movement and depth. More specifically, some think that his slider is the best breaking ball in the prep class. Dutkanych’s changeup is still coming along, but his success versus good competition has mainly been carried by his other three offerings.

Pick Explanation: The Blue Jays have a recent history of drafting college pitching, but Dutkanych may be too good to pass up. After dealing some pitching this offseason, Toronto may look to balance out the organization with an arm at this pick.
Think you misunderstood my comment. "not just" was the construction I meant, but "not only" would have been a much better choice as in " not only the kind of talent.......but also..." I am super glad we got this man and I sure understand your confusion; could have worded things much more clearly. :oops:
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:57 am

Think you misunderstood my comment. "not just" was the construction I meant, but "not only" would have been a much better choice as in " not only the kind of talent.......but also..." I am super glad we got this man and I sure understand your confusion; could have worded things much more clearly. :oops:
My bad.
Versus75
Admiral

If the MLB Draft is moved back any further on the calendar ...

Post by Versus75 »

... we will see players eligible for the draft after their freshman seasons.

"Draft rules state a player attending a four-year college who is age 21 or older (or will turn 21 within 45 days of the draft); will be eligible for the upcoming draft, meaning Dutkanych, who turns 19 on July 31, will be eligible to be drafted after his sophomore year at Vandy."

Remember when Dansby got his draft notice DURING THE SUPER REGIONAL? This year the draft will start more than a month later, July 17.

I wonder if "The Duke" would have made the same decision had his college commitment been for three years....
Versus75
Admiral

In other MLB Draft news ...

Post by Versus75 »

... the mlb.com mock draft projects, among others:

#02: Druw Jones
#17: Brandon Barriera
#32: Dylan Lesko
#38: Spencer Jones (wonder if he will ever pitch in the majors?)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

At 32, we may see him on campus. Slot value last year was $2,257,300.
17 was $3,609,700.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 pm At 32, we may see him on campus. Slot value last year was $2,257,300.
17 was $3,609,700.
If you are coming off TJ and can't pitch for a year, $2.2m is a no brainer. Lesko will likely go higher than that as he was the top arm in the class coming into the year.

As for Dutkanych- much needed. He is draft eligible 24, so we only get two seasons, but I'll take it as a big win. The scouting report sounds like he's more polished than Christian Little today.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Commodoredave wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:38 am
commadore wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 pm At 32, we may see him on campus. Slot value last year was $2,257,300.
17 was $3,609,700.
If you are coming off TJ and can't pitch for a year, $2.2m is a no brainer. Lesko will likely go higher than that as he was the top arm in the class coming into the year.

As for Dutkanych- much needed. He is draft eligible 24, so we only get two seasons, but I'll take it as a big win. The scouting report sounds like he's more polished than Christian Little today.
I saw at least one draft expect speculate that Lesko will come to Vanderbilt because he is not likely to get the signing bonus he wants, and will look to go 1-1 in 2025. That would put him in the $8-9 million range. Tommy John is not 100% guaranteed, but as talented as he is, it might be good to believe in yourself and not let some team get you for a bargain this year.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Buzz out there tonight is Noah Schultz is also telling scouts he is headed for Vandy. Could be negotiating, but he is another huge piece of this class, ranked borderline top 20 by some.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

Will someone get Durkanych on the phone with Druw Jones, Brandon Barriera, and Dylan Lesko and convince them to join him? Trying to build a dynasty here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic