Nick Maldonado's younger brother Chris coming to Vandy

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Nick Maldonado's younger brother Chris coming to Vandy

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He's a middle infielder who originally committed to Clemson this year but has gotten out of his commitment after the coaching change there.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Nick Maldonado's younger brother Chris coming to Vandy

Post by charlestonalum »

Wonderfu!
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

This is good news on several levels. The younger brother is a very good player in his own right.

I wonder if this increases the possibility that Nick returns? The draw of playing with a brother tends to be strong? Nick will get drafted decently - but injuries didn’t help this year.

I might add, 4 of the draft’s top 10 players are Vandy signees. I don’t know if any of them turn down the lure of the $$$. But it’s interesting - when you weigh recruiting, baseball coaches have to worry they don’t do such a good job they lose half their class in the first round…
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

roanoke wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:29 pm I might add, 4 of the draft’s top 10 players are Vandy signees. I don’t know if any of them turn down the lure of the $$$. But it’s interesting - when you weigh recruiting, baseball coaches have to worry they don’t do such a good job they lose half their class in the first round…
Quite true. So, should the strategy be (barring some sort of minimal assurance from the player and/or parents that he's headed to Vandy regardless) that you not sign a player predicted to go in the top 10? The first round? The "winning" strategy seems somewhat elusive, and largely out of the manager's control. I ceratinly don't have a solution.
Locked Previous topicNext topic