Heartache comes to every team at some time...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Heartache comes to every team at some time...

Post by bornadore57 »

...or so it seems. Please correct any misinformation.

2007 - Vandy vs. Michigan in the Super Regionals. Vandy ranked number one. Game three - Michigan makes some tremendous defensive plays in the bottom of the ninth with the game tied at three. In the top of the tenth, a Michigan sub batting less than .200 with one home run all year hits his second. Vandy can't recover and loses. The Vandy pitcher - all-time great David Price.

2016 - Coming off of a 2014 national championship and a 2015 national runner-up, the Vandyboys were set to host a regional. The day before the game, Donny Everette passed. Team lost in the regionals. Of course, no baseball game can match the heartache of that lost life.

2021 - I sat six rows behind the Vandyboys' dugout in Omaha. Jack Leiter pitched the most incredible game I've ever witnessed. Vandy lost to North Carolina State 1-0. What might have been?

Yes, even our ultra-successful Vandyboys cause our hearts to ache every now and then. Nothing is guaranteed. Not even tomorrow.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Heartache comes to every team at some time...

Post by commadore »

I thought the Michigan kid had never hit a home run. And he was a senior.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Heartache comes to every team at some time...

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Also, 2013. Vandy wins the SEC regular season championship with an all-time best record of 26-3, and Tony Kemp is named SEC Player of the Year. After being pushed in the regional by Georgia Tech, Vandy is swept in the super regional at home by Louisville.
Locked Previous topicNext topic