Flash Flaherty Padres' Interim Manager

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Flash Flaherty Padres' Interim Manager

Post by Levon »

The San Diego manager is out with Covid. In his absence, Flaherty is the acting manager. I've said it here before and I'll say it again, I believe Flash could be a strong candidate to replace Tim Corbin once Corbs decides to retire. Flaherty may be intent on managing in the big leagues, but his father was a college coach and he may follow the same path. Regardless, very happy for Flash and his continued professional growth.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Flash Flaherty Padres' Interim Manager

Post by geeznotagain »

One of the very best offensive SS’s in the Corbin era. Arguably THE best.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Interesting. Did you know that Ryan Klosterman, defensive shortstop extraordinaire (hit the ball decent too), is coaching D-1 baseball up east after a stint as an assistant at (I think) UCF?
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Love Flash and think he would succeed here. That being said, Godwin at ECU is Corbin's successor here...and it's pretty well known already.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:53 am Love Flash and think he would succeed here. That being said, Godwin at ECU is Corbin's successor here...and it's pretty well known already.
I live in the hinterlands with absolutely zero connection to Vanderbilt baseball (or anything else). What is the connection to Cliff Godwin and why is it pretty well known already that he'll succeed Corbs? Not trying to be a smart aleck, genuinely curious. Thanks...
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:53 am Love Flash and think he would succeed here. That being said, Godwin at ECU is Corbin's successor here...and it's pretty well known already.
Godwin was only here one year and that was a LONG time ago.

Erik Bakich was here for 6 years. What makes Godwin the automatic pick?
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:19 am

Don't know all the rationale, but have heard from a few sources that Godwin is Corbin's preferred choice if/when that day comes. Have also heard from the same sources that it will be at least 15+ years, so it's likely to be none of the above.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:18 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:19 am

Don't know all the rationale, but have heard from a few sources that Godwin is Corbin's preferred choice if/when that day comes. Have also heard from the same sources that it will be at least 15+ years, so it's likely to be none of the above.
Age-wise that might make Klosterman a good choice by then. Unless he gets a big-time p5 type coaching gig by then which very well could happen if things go well at Rider or Wagner or wherever he is.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:18 pm
Corbin will be 61 in Aug, so I doubt he can coach effectively for 15 more years, especially if he doesn't get better assistants who can coach up the players better.

I was mightily impressed by Godwin,his assistants, and player during last year's SR against ECU. Very impressive program that starts with the head coach.
Locked Previous topicNext topic