a few updated thoughts on our brethren

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

a few updated thoughts on our brethren

Post by roanoke »

I am not going to pile on the Vols. They had a remarkable season. But their fan base didn’t know how to act - and probably put huge pressure on them by assuming a National Championship somewhat prematurely.

My one beef - which I will raise - is that I like to watch the handshake line after a hard-fought series. I did not see it happen in Knoxville today. Am I wrong? I was very surprised. I did see the coaches shake hands. That is the kind of little thing that really sends a bad message. Discipline wise, respect wise, sportsmanship wise. Our guys lined up quickly and respectfully In Corvallis under heartbreaking circumstances. If anyone knows, did ESPN just fail to show it?

The rest of the Conference is faring pretty well. Arky - a #1 team last year that suffered a crushing early loss - may be on a path to redemption. They are a very balanced and talented team. Tied late with UNC - up a game.

A&M took out Louisville in two. They may be the highest seed in Omaha if the pacific teams don’t rally.

Ole Miss is rolling USM. Again, the rested arms from the early SEC tournament exit can be a plus - so can a lot of upperclass leadership. Ole Miss looks pretty good for Omaha… and once you get there - the early season is meaningless. House money.

Finally, Auburn took out OSU in game 1. It will be interesting to see if they can close the deal. Auburn is also talented and balanced. Right now 1 & 4 seeds are out. 2 & 3 seeds are down. I kind of like OSU’s club - but I’m not sure I’d bet on them here.

Will 4 SEC teams fill half the field in Omaha? Who would have guessed one of them would not be the Vols? Again, our 2019 team is legendary. It is really hard to win the SEC regular season, SEC Tourney and NCAA Championship. That achievement remains unique and in place.

admin
Site Admin

Re: a few updated thoughts on our brethren

Post by admin »

We've had some teams probably just as good as UT this season, that laid an egg in the NCAA. Both our national titles were far from locks for those teams. There's something that can be said for being overconfident in your team. It's not good. Some of the showboating they did were sickening. Their coach's record of disrespecting the officials also probably didn't help in calls. Umpires have to make decisions on borderline calls. The good ones try to distribute those equally but if you are a first-class jerk that might not be the case. Go Texas A&M. Get that first national title.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic