Irish Win

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Irish Win

Post by charlestonalum »

Uut at home

Versus75
Admiral

Kyle Peterson said it best:

Post by Versus75 »

"Tennessee has been the most offensive team in the country all season."

I'm just surprised it took him so long to figure that out. When Gilbert and the assistant coach were tossed on Friday, Peterson started off by saying, "You can't do that in a big game like this... blah ... blah ... blah." Of course, later he tried to cover his butt by saying it was the correct call.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Irish Win

Post by nyyankeeDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:52 pm Uut at home
And home they will stay. No chance to improve their all time record in Omaha (0 and 2).
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

Give a lot of credit to Notre Dame. They have a solid team. Good hitting discipline. Excellent infield defense. Their freshman pitcher that pitched the last 4+ innings was outstanding. Great win for the Irish. As the old adage says, "Good pitching will beat good hitting". It will be interesting to see how the vols do going forward. Let's hope they revert to the mean. Go Vandy!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

ND had a huge # of older players, but the left handed pitcher that won it for them was a frosh. Coach is FSU alum and FSU is searching for a new coach...
Our 2 frosh pitchers are All Amerians.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Kyle Peterson said it best:

Post by Ndorefin »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:02 pm "Tennessee has been the most offensive team in the country all season."

I'm just surprised it took him so long to figure that out. When Gilbert and the assistant coach were tossed on Friday, Peterson started off by saying, "You can't do that in a big game like this... blah ... blah ... blah." Of course, later he tried to cover his butt by saying it was the correct call.
Ahhhh, Versus, you caught that, as well. I almost fell out of my chair when he said that. Don’t mean to detract from your comment, but he said they had the most offensive season in college baseball history! Like many said, they’ll not win it all….when you continue with the arrogance they showed, it will bite you every time. It was satisfying to see Gilbert being thrown out at second on a wild pitch!!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

The Baseball Gods do have a sense of humor.

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Uut entered the game 49–0 when leading after six innings.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Thoroughly enjoyed the Irish win.
I know ND chaffs a lot of fans of a lot of teams including a few VU fans, but...
even if that's you, take solace in knowing that losing to ND inflicts as much pain on UT fans as almost any other team. They HAAAATE ND.

Also, agree with the criticisms of Vitello. He kept his starter in 1-2 innings too long. Top of 7, the announcer was saying, "this is the right move by Tennessee, their starters stuff is still all working and he's got plenty of juice left. Get as many pitches out of him as you can." And I was like whaaa?? His stuff may still be "working" but ND batters have now seen all of his pitches, multiple times and have been connecting with the ball - a lot. ND had a few base running mishaps that bailed out the Vols up to that point. Sure enough - right then it was boom! boom! ballgame!

Meanwhile, ND'S coach was making moves as if a trip to Omaha was on the line - which it was! I don't believe UT will be a contender next year. 1) everyone hates them and will be gunning for them. 2) they lose some offense 3) their coach is a headcase.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

BILTMORE wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:18 pm Thoroughly enjoyed the Irish win.
I know ND chaffs a lot of fans of a lot of teams including a few VU fans, but...
even if that's you, take solace in knowing that losing to ND inflicts as much pain on UT fans as almost any other team. They HAAAATE ND.

Also, agree with the criticisms of Vitello. He kept his starter in 1-2 innings too long. Top of 7, the announcer was saying, "this is the right move by Tennessee, their starters stuff is still all working and he's got plenty of juice left. Get as many pitches out of him as you can." And I was like whaaa?? His stuff may still be "working" but ND batters have now seen all of his pitches, multiple times and have been connecting with the ball - a lot. ND had a few base running mishaps that bailed out the Vols up to that point. Sure enough - right then it was boom! boom! ballgame!

Meanwhile, ND'S coach was making moves as if a trip to Omaha was on the line - which it was! I don't believe UT will be a contender next year. 1) everyone hates them and will be gunning for them. 2) they lose some offense 3) their coach is a headcase.
They will most likely lose 8/9 starters and one starting pitcher and 4 top relievers— that is a lot
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Doubledore wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:02 pm
BILTMORE wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:18 pm Thoroughly enjoyed the Irish win.

They will most likely lose 8/9 starters and one starting pitcher and 4 top relievers— that is a lot
I hope you are right, but that is what I thought coming in to this year. They will have their top 3 starters (Dollander, Beam, Burns) back next year, plus just as much offense as we will have. As much as I hate to say it, I think that they will be a pretty good program as long as Vitello is there, and I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon.
Locked Previous topicNext topic