a few observations on our brethren

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

a few observations on our brethren

Post by roanoke »

UT got through unscathed - but faces a pesky Notre Dame squad that can hit in the supers. After a relatively easy regional (which they earned as the 1 seed), this is a deceptively tricky opponent. An interesting matchup at a minimum.

LSU basically wrecked our season - and were kind of jerks about it. They are knocked out by Southern Miss. I usually kind of like LSU - but this new manager may change that. I was not sorry they lost - and I am an SEC homer.

Ole Miss - a major disappointment all year that we knocked out of the SEC tournament, wins the Miami regional. Just shows often a quick trip to Hoover and rested arms are the answer.

Florida lost at home to Oklahoma - they were disappointing this year and no real love lost there.

Arky leading OK State. I like Arky baseball - respect Van Horn. Will root for them going forward - but OK State is scoring wildly in this tourney - so it isn’t over. A & M also passes through and I will certainly root for them to take out Louisville.

Auburn will face Oregon State - that will be an interesting one. Did we finally gel - or was OSU a little overrated? I’m hoping it was us gelling…. Auburn was crushing it at home - I suspect there will be high scoring games in Corvallis.

Georgia laid a tournament egg.

For whatever it’s worth, Vandy, LSU and Florida all got to game 7 of the regional and lost by one run. It’s a tough conference.

I will miss a lot of kids on this Vandy team. Some of them brought us a championship. Others got to the Finals last year. Many showed major growth. Hard to see them go out this early - but they made a respectable showing. Thanks for the memories and hardware. I do love Vandy baseball.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: a few observations on our brethren

Post by FayetteDore »

roanoke wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 pm
Ole Miss - a major disappointment all year that we knocked out of the SEC tournament, wins the Miami regional. Just shows often a quick trip to Hoover and rested arms are the answer.

For whatever it’s worth, Vandy, LSU and Florida all got to game 7 of the regional and lost by one run. It’s a tough conference.

I will miss a lot of kids on this Vandy team. Some of them brought us a championship. Others got to the Finals last year. Many showed major growth. Hard to see them go out this early - but they made a respectable showing. Thanks for the memories and hardware. I do love Vandy baseball.
An excellent review of the league's showing so far.

As for the quick trip to Hoover/rested arms theory: is VU so accustomed to Omaha that an SEC championship banner no longer counts for much? When things looked bad earlier in the season, somebody posted on here that CTC didn't care much about the regular season and is always focused using it to evaluate, build up and fine tune for the postseason. I questioned that, believing that Coach is a competitor, period. I agree that the CWS is the big prize, the ultimate goal and the one that people remember -- but seems like picking up the hardware in Hoover or winning the regular season are worthy goals too. Others may disagree.

Totally agree with your final paragraph, which you put so eloquently there's nothing to add.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Can someone summarize who will probably be back next year? I know the draft could change things, but your best guess please.

We fought the good fight, but we just did not quite make it. Proud to be a Commodore and proud of this team.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

Whatever happened to Miss State? I know we had a down year, but they seemed to drop all the way to the bottom!
@AD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I understand Miss, State was hit hard by graduation, MLB, and injuries.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Spencer Jones came alive in the last couple of games and got us to the brink.
I would have loved to have had a player like "Bam Bam Elko" of Ole Miss who basically went off on Arizona and got Ole Miss into the Supers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic