Transfer portal

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

blackgold61
Lieutenant

Transfer portal

Post by blackgold61 »

Well, I know the season just ended but who do you think hits the transfer portal from this team? I would love to see Coach Corbin dip into the portal for some more bats and maybe a stud pitcher but I don’t think he operates like that.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Nashmann »

They really need bats!! We were spoiled with great pitching from Rocker & Leiter....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Vaz is a transfer from a junior college in Louisiana. Current relief pitcher (Anderson) is a transfer. Some of our prominent players during the Corbin era have been transfers. Why shun transfers now?
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:48 pm Vaz is a transfer from a junior college in Louisiana. Current relief pitcher (Anderson) is a transfer. Some of our prominent players during the Corbin era have been transfers. Why shun transfers now?
I think the idea that Corbin shuns the portal is false. He consistently has the top 1-5 class in the country. He doesn't need to go hard into the portal like some of our SEC competitors but he has dipped into the portal when he finds the right fit. I know we are losing some big names off this team next year but there always seems to be a guy that comes along in the process. I trust Corbin.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Go get that kid from NC State. Tommy white
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Vaz transferred from a JC in LA but he was an early HS commit to Vandy .... just didn't qualify out of HS for admission so he took the next easiest route to get into Vandy. Corbin honored the early commit. I suspect 1-2 on the roster will leave Vandy so they can play elsewhere vs watch from the bench next season (#9 Young for example). #9's BA went from .252 in 2021 to .207 this season. His 18 game freshman BA season in 2020 looked terrific but it was vs an early creampuff schedule. He essentially repeated his early creampuff BA in 2021 & 2022 .... yet ended up watching the final games of the 2022 season. I won my bet by a country mile w/ my bro-in-law who is a Selah WA HS homer. #9 will watch from the Vandy bench in 2023 or play elsewhere is my belief.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Vandybird can't leave Carter Young alone.....Please tell us the backstory Vandybird.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

There will be a LOT of Vandy players in the transfer portal this year. If prior years are any indication, I'd expect 7-10.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

I used to live in the area from which #9 graduated from HS. That area hasn't sent a decent defensive position ballplayer from HS to go on to play significantly in MLB .... other than 1) Scott Hatteberg. There were also a few SP's .... named Stottlemyre .... a normal ratio of Pitchers to Position players are represented. Since then ..... every HS ballplayer who has played D1 baseball from the area .... has flamed out .... which is normal .... all things considered. Hatteberg had a 14 WAR rating over abt 14 seasons. The list of young men who have played D1 from Yakima County is not all that long but the county has just 250k population.
Baseball : 1) Jonathan Imperial .... US AFA 2) Seth Kline .... US AFA 3) Henry Gargus .... Stanford 4) Carter Young .... Vanderbilt 5) Jamie Allen .... Az St 6-7) VanDeBrake brothers .... the 2nd of 3 just graduated from WSU in Pullman had a nice college career. The eldest watched from the bench his last 2 seasons at Gonzaga. The youngest isn't comparable. Baseball can be quite injurious .... many excellent high schoolers haven't gone on to play in college ball due to ailments.
Football : 1) Cooper Kupp is the ONLY noteworthy footballer.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Vandybird wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:07 pm I used to live in the area from which #9 graduated from HS. That area hasn't sent a decent defensive position ballplayer from HS to go on to play significantly in MLB .... other than 1) Scott Hatteberg. There were also a few SP's .... named Stottlemyre .... a normal ratio of Pitchers to Position players are represented. Since then ..... every HS ballplayer who has played D1 baseball from the area .... has flamed out .... which is normal .... all things considered. Hatteberg had a 14 WAR rating over abt 14 seasons. The list of young men who have played D1 from Yakima County is not all that long but the county has just 250k population.
Baseball : 1) Jonathan Imperial .... US AFA 2) Seth Kline .... US AFA 3) Henry Gargus .... Stanford 4) Carter Young .... Vanderbilt 5) Jamie Allen .... Az St 6-7) VanDeBrake brothers .... the 2nd of 3 just graduated from WSU in Pullman had a nice college career. The eldest watched from the bench his last 2 seasons at Gonzaga. The youngest isn't comparable. Baseball can be quite injurious .... many excellent high schoolers haven't gone on to play in college ball due to ailments.
Football : 1) Cooper Kupp is the ONLY noteworthy footballer.
kupp is enough! what a prime time baller he is!
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Vandybird, it does not explain the unusual level of distain you have for the kid. You have been butthurt and won't let it go.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

I just found the level of enthusiasm for #9 to be incredibly unwarranted .... given the historical competitive level of 99% of the other exceptional ballplayers from the county. My bro-in-law just went on and on about him on the telephone. That region has a limited season for ballplayers to train. The talk about him was simply sooo overhyped. My bro-in-law told me many were talking about him being a draft pick ... even after his 2021 season and shoulder separation injury / surgery. He was exceptional as a young ballplayer (ages 11-15) when he was 6 inches taller & 30-50lbs heavier than 90% of the ballplayers in his age group. Once he stopped being taller and heavier than most everyone else his stats fell back down to earth. People from that area are starved for exceptional ballplayers .... so they tend to get carried away .... typical homerism. I won a $50 steak & lobster dinner from my bro-in-law (Homer) the next time we get together. Since I live 35 miles SE of Chesapeake, VA .... it may be a while.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

so all the negativism is actually about homer's homerism? whatever....
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Yeah, somethin' still ain't right. Seems like some kind of obsession.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Vandybird wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:54 pm I just found the level of enthusiasm for #9 to be incredibly unwarranted .... given the historical competitive level of 99% of the other exceptional ballplayers from the county. My bro-in-law just went on and on about him on the telephone. That region has a limited season for ballplayers to train. The talk about him was simply sooo overhyped. My bro-in-law told me many were talking about him being a draft pick ... even after his 2021 season and shoulder separation injury / surgery. He was exceptional as a young ballplayer (ages 11-15) when he was 6 inches taller & 30-50lbs heavier than 90% of the ballplayers in his age group. Once he stopped being taller and heavier than most everyone else his stats fell back down to earth. People from that area are starved for exceptional ballplayers .... so they tend to get carried away .... typical homerism. I won a $50 steak & lobster dinner from my bro-in-law (Homer) the next time we get together. Since I live 35 miles SE of Chesapeake, VA .... it may be a while.
Total fabrication!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Per the Tennessean this morning, Carter Young has entered the transfer portal.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Brett Hansen and Donye Evans too.....
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

and welcome to the brave new world - hate to see these guys leave, but I wish them well. College world of athletics is now a great big mess, maybe the whole world is...
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

baseball1234 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:19 pm Brett Hansen and Donye Evans too.....
Corbin isn't going to have a choice. We need to bring in some transfer pitchers.

If not, this program is headed for trouble.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:51 pm and welcome to the brave new world - hate to see these guys leave, but I wish them well. College world of athletics is now a great big mess, maybe the whole world is...
I couldn't agree more. The $$ to players will only hurt smaller schools to the benefit of the mega-schools. Add to that the transfer enticements, we could be the frequent victim of one-and-transfers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic