The Committee

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

The Committee

Post by geeznotagain »

There have been several posts recently about the "pitching by committee" strategy. I did a little math, and SURPRISE!, our committee hasn't done well as of late. I am defining committee here as anyone not named CM or CH, so that includes occasional starters, like Maldo, Cunningham, and Little. My universe is the last 2 SEC series, that's 3 games against LSU and 2 against Arkansas (no committee member pitched in game 3 of the Arkie series).

So in these 5 games the committee has pitched in 37 and 2/3 innings, and allowed 48 runs, of which 46 were earned. That's an ERA well into the double digits. If we exclude last night's debacle from the sample, these same guys have pitched 35 innings and allowed 31 earned runs. Much better, but still almost a run per inning. I'm not necessarily saying that pitching by committee isn't the way to go, but if we do go there, and stand a chance of winning, our bats better be super-hot that day.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: The Committee

Post by Go Vandy! »

I think Corbin needs to take a serious look at Scott Brown & Mike Baxter, both of whom i like. And i know they're his guys. But something HAS TO change.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:47 pm I think Corbin needs to take a serious look at Scott Brown & Mike Baxter, both of whom i like. And i know they're his guys. But something HAS TO change.
I wish Baxter was doing better, because I like him a lot. Brown should have been gone a long time ago. He doesn't know how to develop pitchers. Every stud pitcher we have had come through in his tenure was a stud before they got here. I could write a detailed post on Brown's issues, but it would be nearly thesis-length.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:47 pm I think Corbin needs to take a serious look at Scott Brown & Mike Baxter, both of whom i like. And i know they're his guys. But something HAS TO change.
I wish Baxter was doing better, because I like him a lot. Brown should have been gone a long time ago. He doesn't know how to develop pitchers. Every stud pitcher we have had come through in his tenure was a stud before they got here. I could write a detailed post on Brown's issues, but it would be nearly thesis-length.
Not to mention how many have thrown their arms out.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

You want to know why Rocker had to have his shoulder cleaned out and extensive physical therapy on the elbow, why the Mets passed ? Over use, was the Duke game worth it? Anyone can coach talent...
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:17 am You want to know why Rocker had to have his shoulder cleaned out and extensive physical therapy on the elbow, why the Mets passed ? Over use, was the Duke game worth it? Anyone can coach talent...
Is that why much of what I saw in the media was critical of the Mets for passing on a guy whose medicals were pretty much consistent with previous exams he’d had?

Why don’t you ask Rocker if the Duke game was worth it? I suspect I know the answer. You’d have had to pry him off the mound with a crowbar.
Locked Previous topicNext topic