Corbs Vanishing Act

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Corbs Vanishing Act

Post by DS2001 »

I heard Corbs wouldn’t do a postgame interview and trotted out Spencer Young instead.
I wish he would quit doing this after bad losses.
It’s a bad reflection on the program.
He needs to set an example and face the music.
He’s big on tying your shoes correctly and standing at attention for the National Anthem.
He needs to put on his big boy pants and answer the tough questions.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Corbs Vanishing Act

Post by charlestonalum »

I agree not a good look, but I think he might have said something he later would regret so at least he and we have that small consolation. What do you want him to say?
We were all taught by our parents if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything, which is exactly what coach did. There is nothing he could say except LSU came back and beat ,our brains out. That was already obvious so what do you want him to say? He is not going to give excuses and he cannot publically criticize our players and I don't think this is on the coaches so what is he supposed to say thatt is an honest apprsaisal? Probably best to do what he did as bad as it seems. Sore loser yes, just like most of us may be.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun May 22, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Has he done this before?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Georgiadore wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:36 pm Has he done this before?
The season around ten years ago when we had almost 30 losses. People were getting fed up with the "take or else" BS. Our guys weren't allowed to swing at pitches that could have been hit over the parking garage. That season started of by getting swept at Stanford. OK, Stanford is good at baseball. Then we got swept at home by Oregon. Then we lost a mid-week game to SouthEast Louisiana (?) A 1-7 start had folks upset. Shortly after, a mid-week home loss to Belmont. Then lost 2 of 3 to San Diego... not San Diego State...not the Padres...just San Diego. Got swept by Florida right after. Lost a mid-week game to Evansville after that.

Soon after, players were finally allowed to swing at strikes and things got a little better in the SEC season. During that really bad early stretch, Corbs went on WNSR, a show hosted by Thom Abraham (no longer there) and calls were lined up wanting to talk about the "take or else." (which was also a hot topic on this very forum) No calls were answered. The calls on hold were ignored. All of them.

I hope that somewhat answers your question.
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

Sort of - I'm mainly asking about not doing the postgame presser, as today - but appreciate the info.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

So, once every 10 years or so Coach doesn’t want to speak to the press.

I’ll counter that with a National Championship once every 10 years or so and call it even.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I’m not that worried about this. The more concerning matter is how the team collapsed. Answering the same question about it five different ways would be counterproductive in my opinion. There’s something to be said for just putting the game in the rearview mirror and looking ahead to what needs to be done come Tuesday in Hoover. Also, do you not think that Corbs may have thought it far more important to be addressing his team after that debacle than enduring media drivel? Again. Not bothered by this at all.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

There is one forum member who frequently references a "take or else" conspiracy in Vanderbilt baseball. Which apparently is periodically lifted for an occasional national championship, to help cover up the real objective of sabotaging Vanderbilt baseball.
Outside of one individual's mind, is there some grain of verifiable truth underlying this belief system?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

alathIN wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 am There is one forum member who frequently references a "take or else" conspiracy in Vanderbilt baseball. Which apparently is periodically lifted for an occasional national championship, to help cover up the real objective of sabotaging Vanderbilt baseball.
Outside of one individual's mind, is there some grain of verifiable truth underlying this belief system?
No.
Just like 187187 is not a Vanderbilt fan. He only shows up in losses and never posts in games we win (unless it is a comeback).
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I feel bad about even posting this yesterday. Should have adhered my 24 hour rule.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 am
alathIN wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 am There is one forum member who frequently references a "take or else" conspiracy in Vanderbilt baseball. Which apparently is periodically lifted for an occasional national championship, to help cover up the real objective of sabotaging Vanderbilt baseball.
No.
Just like 187187 is not a Vanderbilt fan. He only shows up in losses and never posts in games we win (unless it is a comeback).
There was also a guy who came on the basketball forum every Fall saying the team had Final Four talent, then later predictably lambasting Stallings for failing to get Vandy to the Final Four, an unforgiveable underachievement for any team with so much talent. Then he'd rant about how there was a secret "coach for life" conspiracy due to which Kevin Stallings would remain the VU head coach forever because it was legally impossible to fire him.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

alathIN wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 pm
commadore wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 am
No.
There was also a guy who came on the basketball forum every Fall saying the team had Final Four talent, then later predictably lambasting Stallings for failing to get Vandy to the Final Four, an unforgiveable underachievement for any team with so much talent. Then he'd rant about how there was a secret "coach for life" conspiracy due to which Kevin Stallings would remain the VU head coach forever because it was legally impossible to fire him.
And this . . . .

dallasdore
Re: Total SEC Wins
Report Quote
Post by dallasdore » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Ceiling is probably 3. Having the injured guys back won't help this team as much as some think. They are not going to step in and magically (as frosh in the SEC) improve this team enough that it can win 6.

Someone claimed yesterday that Loyola Chicago is equal to a mid-range SEC team. I laughed my a** off. Have you seen the SEC this year???? There are currently SEVEN ranked teams! There is us at the bottom, then 2-3 teams that will only win 3-6 games in conference, then the gauntlet competing for tournament spots. Proser is gone, that team is not like their F4 team a year or two ago.

And lets not talk about Temple. They are 6-4, and we are by a mile the most "name" team they've beaten. A quick check of SMU shows they lost to Mizzou and Loyola Marymount at home (beyond Dayton, we are by far the most "name" team they've beaten}.

We suck. We're poorly coached. We really don't know how much talent we have, but it doesn't look like much. I'd be STUNNED (and I hope to be so) if we won 4 conference games.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

PinkFloyd wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 pm Question, what flavor is the kool-aid they are serving on west end? Oh the stories I could tell. Hope no one gets physically abused , it's happened a lot in the past.
Check your pm's
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

alathIN wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Not familiar, but I do remember some people felt like that nice win over UK in New Orleans (2011 or so?) put him in a position of thinking he had a permanent mulligan card. Because right after the win over UK in New Orleans season, he never had another winning season in the SEC until ironically, when he was on his way out the door to Pitt. (Where the Pitt fans were none too happy about his arrival. They were proven right as Pitt ended up with their first losing record in 17 years even though they returned all their best players including two that ended up in the NBA) He followed that up with a Bryce Drew-like 0-18 season.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

dcdore wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:02 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 pm Question, what flavor is the kool-aid they are serving on west end? Oh the stories I could tell. Hope no one gets physically abused , it's happened a lot in the past.
Check your pm's
Why PMs? Go public if you have information. Sitting behind a keyboard anonymously is real power, isn't it? Let's go, put up or shut up. Who are you protecting by not disclosing what you know? CowBellFloyd or wherever you are from, just leave us alone.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

I wrote a pm regarding pre 2016 to post 2016.

Floyd had postulated that any falloff was due to the loss of Travis Jewitt and his recruiting prowess.

I offered a different theory; that Donnie Everett's death really, really effected Corbin and that he was changed by that. Not necessarily in a bad way but in a way that he had a different perspective.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Have you all seen the Tennessean article re Corbs today? If not please do so. Here is a link to the twitter post:

[tweet][/tweet]

While it doesn't fix whatever is wrong with the team it demonstrates that where Corbs' head is at. And that is good enough for me.

PS interesting to think about how last year's national champs (out of SEC tourney and likely NCAA's) and national runner up (need I say more) have done this year. Interested to hear what folks make it.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

"Question, what flavor is the kool-aid they are serving on west end? Oh the stories I could tell. Hope no one gets physically abused , it's happened a lot in the past."

This is what got me. Anonymous serious allegations. Gutless. I call BS. If I am wrong, I'll eat it.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

After the UL game, a gentleman in front of me said something about taking so many strikes cost us the game and allowed us to be shutout.....I am paraphrasing with what I think I heard. Anyway Corbs heard it and looked straight at the gentleman post game and said come on down here and say that to me......I thought very uncharacteristically from the Coach that we all know.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

At least Stallings (Pitt era) only "got into it" with opposing fans, not ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbl-WNCIGtY

And no, that was not me at the baseball game re: "take or else."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And no, Pitt did not win the rematch with U of L. They lost at home by 34...
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo ... burgh.html
Locked Previous topicNext topic