Carter Young

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Bird75
Ensign

Carter Young

Post by Bird75 »

Is he hurt or just out of lineup because he’s not hitting. Apologies if I missed this discussion already

Vandybird
Petty Officer

Re: Carter Young

Post by Vandybird »

WEll ..... if he is was pulled because he hasn't been hitting .... the coaches could have used that excuse in mid-March. In 2021 his offense (BA) was around .340 early (20 games) in the season with close to a doz HR's. In 2022 #9 hasn't been even 40 points and almost a doz HR's short of his 2021 numbers. Ya gotta see the ball and hit it. He's been #1 or 2 leading the SEC in K's for 2 years running. He looks at a lotta good pitches .... get's behind in the count too often & K's. His .204 BA ranks him dead last amongst starting infielders in the SEC. His defense is nice but he is not as consistent as half the starting SS's in the SEC. In other words he is far less than average. The value of defensive position ballplayers is heavily weighted by offensive production 67% vs defense 33%. Young gets far more positve press by Vandyfans than anywhere. There's no place like home and "homers" .... Diaz is a far more storied recruit with greater upside. With any luck .... we've seen the last of #9 unless an incoming freshman recruit chooses his number this year or next.
Last edited by Vandybird on Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:47 am WEll ..... if he is was pulled because he hasn't been hitting .... the coaches could have used that excuse in mid-March. In 2021 his offense (BA) was around .340 early (20 games) in the season with close to a doz HR's. In 2022 #9 hasn't been even 40 points and almost a doz HR's short of his 2021 numbers. Ya gotta see the ball and hit it. He's been #1 or 2 leading the SEC in K's for 2 years running. He looks at a lotta good pitches .... get's behind in the count too often & K's. His .204 BA ranks him dead last amongst starting infielders in the SEC. His defense is nice but he is not as consistent as half the starting SS's in the SEC. In other words he is far less than average. The value of defensive position ballplayers is heavily weighted by offensive production 67% vs defense 33%. Young gets far more positve press by Vandyfans than anywhere. There's no place like home and "homers" .... Diaz is a far more storied recruit with greater upside. With any luck .... we've seen the last of #9 unless an incoming freshman recruit chooses his number this year of next.
You really love to hate on Young. It’s one thing to cite statistics and make objective statements. It’s another to take every opportunity possible to dog a guy and make petty remarks about seeing the last of him.
With fans like these…
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

Sorry but I think back to last year's final CWS game .... his performance was admirable .... but expectations for him have been 50% more based on what .... defense that is 1/3 of the game of baseball ? His game has been incomplete since he stopped being 6 inches taller and 40lbs heavier than 90% of the ballplayers his age. As a senior in HS .... 3 of his teammates had better or equal offensive stats ..... and that from a tiny 2A HS in Washington State w/ 100 boys per class. His .428 Selah HS BA in 2019 would compare with 4A sized HS ballplayers at around .300 +/- ... 25 points. That would put in in the midlle of a group of ballplayer that included every ballplayer in WAshington State who attended a HS with more than 600 students. Expectations for him have been over the moon unrealistic ..... that sums it up.
Last edited by Vandybird on Wed May 18, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm … nothing more to say.
Thank you.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I have thought since last year after his injury he has not looked like himself. I hope he can overcome whatever has been hurting his performance whether it is injury related or confidence related. I like all these kids and want to see all of them succeed. I'm rooting for him as I am all the Vandy Boys.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

VandyManners wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm I have thought since last year after his injury he has not looked like himself. I hope he can overcome whatever has been hurting his performance whether it is injury related or confidence related. I like all these kids and want to see all of them succeed. I'm rooting for him as I am all the Vandy Boys.
I'm not going to blast the kid for doing what he thought was best for him, but his performance is not injury related or confidence related. After his Freshman year, he made a strategic decision to reinvent his swing to try and hit more HRs. It worked last year, but at the cost of a lot of Ks. He is very long with his swing, especially when hitting lefty, which is most often. He's lost the connected approach that leads to a solid inside-out swing. Dom and Spencer can stay connected and drive the ball out to any part of the field. Bulger, Kolwyck and Noland can do the same. CY simply isn't strong enough, so he has to pull the ball to get it out routinely. Sure, he might luck into an oppo-HR every know and then, but it's not a regular occurrence. When that's your approach you are going to chase curveballs and sliders (because it speeds up the bat head when you attack off speed pitches) and you'll be susceptible to a fastball away. With his current swing, CY can hit an inside fastball and a hanging curveball...and that's it. Every SEC pitcher knows it, so how often does he see those pitches? Hardly ever. And the results this season speak for themselves. The sad part is, he knows it. He's just praying he gets one of the pitches he can hit and is willing to not swing at anything else. That leads him to take fastball strikes on the outer corner and swing at every breaking ball even if it's in the dirt. Sounds familiar? The fact that he knows this, and still won't adjust is hurting the team.

He should have been a solidly high (3rd-4th round) pick this year. I doubt that happens now. The only way he helps us next year is to revert back to his old swing, which is possible. I'm just not sure he's willing to do it. CY likes the "show". As someone who has watched him often, he is great defensively, but he often makes fairly routine plays look very difficult by taking strange routes to the ball. He loves to be the "hero", and we don't really need a hero. We need a steady ball player, which I still believe he could be...but that decision is up to him.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

I disagree with the opinion that Carter Young is "not as consistent as half of the starting shortstops in the SEC". I would take him over any other shortstop defensively. As for Davis Diaz, I think he will have a very successful career. That said, anybody who saw the game last night can see that Diaz, (who might wind up being great at 3B) does not have Carter's feet, hands, or release. The action is just not the same.

Once again Hops with great analysis as to Carter's approach.

As for our lineup, if we are replacing Carter with guys whose averages are on the interstate, then we should play Carter at shortstop. Perhaps his "rest" will make him rethink his approach as pointed at by HOPS - although certainly a tough time to focus on swing reconstruction this late in the season.

Chances CY is our shortstop next year?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm Sorry but I think back to last year's final CWS game .... his performance was admirable .... but expectations for him have been 50% more based on what .... defense that is 1/3 of the game of baseball ? His game has been incomplete since he stopped being 6 inches taller and 40lbs heavier than 90% of the ballplayers his age. As a senior in HS .... 3 of his teammates had better or equal offensive stats ..... and that from a tiny 2A HS in Washington State w/ 100 boys per class. His .428 Selah HS BA in 2019 would compare with 4A sized HS ballplayers at around .300 +/- ... 25 points. That would put in in the midlle of a group of ballplayer that included every ballplayer in WAshington State who attended a HS with more than 600 students. Expectations for him have been over the moon unrealistic ..... that sums it up.
Other than pitching, SS is the most important position on the field. There were two shortstops who played in the CWS final last year. Carter Young was one of them. Crummy series because he was hurt, but he was the starting shortstop all year until he got hurt. Where are any of his HS teammates playing? Any of them hit more than 5 career homers? How'd we miss them recruiting wise if they were better than him. Sure, Carter has let us down at the plate this year, but to suggest that a guy who has been a 2 year starter in the SEC at shortstop was an average high school player is ludicrous. You happen to be from Washington and overlooked by schools? Sure seems like you are butthurt.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

This is a team sport: quit this absurd concentration on one player, please.
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

For Pete's sake ..... the title of this thread is "Carter Young" ! If you can't stand the heat .... (politely) get out of the kitchen.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:06 pm
Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm … nothing more to say.
Thank you.
I knew it was too good to be true, V-Bird. I see that you edited your earlier post to remove your vow that you have "nothing more to say."

Thanks for nothing!
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

baseball1234 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:31 pm ...certainly a tough time to focus on swing reconstruction this late in the season.

Chances CY is our shortstop next year?
Exactly. Very tough to retool a swing mid-season. And I think there's a good chance he is the SS next season. He was in a tough spot. He wanted HRs, and had two options; revamp the swing or hit the weights hard. He chose the first option because he really wants to stick at SS long term. Bulky and SS is not a good mix.

Could have been (and still could be) a Jeter-type of player, but wanted more. Hopefully someone has the difficult conversation with him over the summer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:36 pm C Young let down V-bilt in 2021 as well as 2022 .... the 16 game 2020 season is meaningless. So you and others are happy with his 2 seasons with offensive stats that have him hitting .230 when many have him projected to be drafted ? THose days are over. I too believe he will be back at V-bilt for 2023. He and a few others have "books" written. His batting skills and his Soph and Junior class teammates skills are equally known to opposing coaches in the SEC and the suggestion he will improve is certainly possible but based on little more than hope. He hasn't adjusted to the pitching this season. He'll be even more challenged in 2023 than previous years. No one goes in the MLB draft after batting .200 or even .225. SS's that are drafted and go on to have MLB careers go from HS rosters almost exclusively. Take a look at last June's MLB draft. Another dismal year at Vandy in 2023 will simply make Young less of a prospect than he was in June of 2019, 2022 or 2021. Last season there were 6 SEC SS's with better stats .... this years there are even more both defensively and offensively.
Why the need to rip this kid to pieces? Corbin could care less what you think. I trust Tim Corbin. No need to trash this kid because you think everyone that doesn't hit 5 home runs and bat .400 are worthless humans. Stop attacking Vanderbilt players. I don't care if a player bats .001 and has 5 errors a game, you lay off of them here.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

I trust Corbin to do what's he believes is best for the Vanderbilt baseball team. He got a verbal commit from C Young at age 14-15 .... and probably wishes he had waited. We'll know better what he thinks of the lack of offense from SS position vs LSU. My hope is he's decided he's not seen enough offensive production from the SS position and that Diaz has become his new SS. No one can doubt that Diaz was brought in to become the starting SS in 2023 .... based on all the exaggerated fans applause for C Young .... many had #9 going in the 2022 draft which at this point is pie in the sky. Nobody is drafted with a BA of .204 ect or by having the lowest BA of all starting infielders in the SEC. Either C Young leaves Vanderbilt this summer to actually play baseball at another university or he will be watching Diaz in 2023 become the new SS. Friday's game (tomorrow) might help few more of those who have been drinking coolaid #9 .... change their minds.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Vandybird sounds like Carter's ex-girlfriend trying to get revenge. Maybe Carter's girlfriend is Vandybird's ex. Or, maybe Vandybird was one of the kids on Carter's high school team who got passed over. Interesting that Vanydbird knows Carter's high school stats AND the stats of other kids on the team.....What's the backstory Vandybird? Seems there is a lot of dislike over Carter's inability to hit a baseball. I am not happy with his performance at the plate either but I have no disdain for the kid. Your issues with him have to be deeper than what's on the surface.

As for Diaz, he was second to Lawler. Probably actually projected to play first or third. He will hit and be a very good player IMHO.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Pink Floyd and Vandybird seem to be in the same small flock of boo birds. I respect their right to their opinions but...

Beat LSU.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Vandybird wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:47 am WEll ..... if he is was pulled because he hasn't been hitting .... the coaches could have used that excuse in mid-March. In 2021 his offense (BA) was around .340 early (20 games) in the season with close to a doz HR's. In 2022 #9 hasn't been even 40 points and almost a doz HR's short of his 2021 numbers. Ya gotta see the ball and hit it. He's been #1 or 2 leading the SEC in K's for 2 years running. He looks at a lotta good pitches .... get's behind in the count too often & K's. His .204 BA ranks him dead last amongst starting infielders in the SEC. His defense is nice but he is not as consistent as half the starting SS's in the SEC. In other words he is far less than average. The value of defensive position ballplayers is heavily weighted by offensive production 67% vs defense 33%. Young gets far more positve press by Vandyfans than anywhere. There's no place like home and "homers" .... Diaz is a far more storied recruit with greater upside. With any luck .... we've seen the last of #9 unless an incoming freshman recruit chooses his number this year of next.
Looks like he's right on all accounts. Can't hit, makes errors, isn't improving YOY he's getting worse. Can't even make contact or bunt the ball. This guy has a crystal ball say what you want but he won't even play next year if he stays
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

He didn't even play the last two games yet you two keep bashing this kid. You two are disgraces to the Vanderbilt fan base.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Vandybird
Petty Officer

Post by Vandybird »

IMO ..... the posts that are not complimentary contain facts that many of "Vanderbilt fan base" routinely ignore. Real fans are obliged to be honest and to present both sides of a topic or argument. If we're going to be honest & factual ..... #9 has watched 3 games in a row from the Vandy bench as of this morning at 10:26 AM (ETZ). I suspect the Vandy coaches have made a permanent change at SS. If C Young wants to play more college baseball he could consider the "transfer portal" .... bc there's a D2 univeristy baseball team in need of an infielder less than 35 miles from his parent's home. I'm not wanting to be a "mean spirited guy" .... but the facts have been incontrovertible .... and it looks like 95% of the posts are from members who don't want to question or second guess decisions made by coaches or even other members. I was taught to question everything. I ran my own business and at one point it was appraised at $6mil just 6 years after I founded it with nothing more than my excess cash flow from the get-go. I am not an idiot and I am well versed on the game of baseball and have been for 65 yrs.
Last edited by Vandybird on Sun May 22, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked Previous topicNext topic